UKBouldering.com

Camper van (Read 2780 times)

Lucky Jim

Camper van
July 05, 2005, 11:10:08 am
Hey

Does anybody know what the best way is to get a cheap campervan for a 2 month trip in the Western US :?:

Cheers for your help

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Camper van
July 05, 2005, 11:55:37 am
Do you definitely need a campervan? Odd question I know, but the US idea of a campervan is the massive RVs, which sleep 8 and have satellite telly. You will pay over the odds for it though. I got a ford aerostar people carrrier, and found that the seats fold down in it to form a double bed. Alternatively you could get one of the big estates or 4 x 4s, in which you could sleep comfortably. There are also loads of cheap/free campsites and cheap motels everywhere.

Buying can be a bit of a hassle if you dont have a US address and SS number, and you pay a lot for insurance if you dont have a US license, which is also difficult to get without the above.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Camper van
July 05, 2005, 12:04:38 pm
Might be worth PMing Doylo - him and his crew bought a car and a van on their recent road trip to the States.

dave

#3 Camper van
July 05, 2005, 12:12:40 pm
what about a pickup truck with one of them fibreglass campervan backs on em? they look well fly.

Lucky Jim

#4 Camper van
July 05, 2005, 12:43:13 pm
Was thinking about one of those Ford Aerostars or Chevy Astro vans 'cause it might be cheaper than motels and cosier than living outside all day and night during the cold desert-winter :?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#5 Camper van
July 05, 2005, 12:52:15 pm
I had no hassle with the Ford Aerostar, apart from it not liking the road to the Sads when I drove too fast over ruts, and the seal for the transmission popped out. Luckily noticed it before major damage done. Not sure if the seats in the chevvy fold down, but easy enough to check. Both are pretty cheap and available everywhere.

Lucky Jim

#6 Camper van
July 05, 2005, 01:25:18 pm
@ SA Chris

Where did you got that ship from? I mean car rental company or something else?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 Camper van
July 05, 2005, 03:01:11 pm
I bought it from an Aussie Girl I did the ski season with in Colorado, as she was heading home. Sold it in Denver just before I left, bought for $750, sold for $450 to a dealer, two months later. Could have probably got more if I had my shit together and a bit more time. They go for about $800 -$1200 depending on age, mileage etc. theres also a 4 x 4 version available, but for a chunk more.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal