UKBouldering.com

paralox darling (Read 2160 times)

dave

paralox darling
March 20, 2003, 01:35:03 pm
Saw this thing on the box last nite - basically some biatch who reconed she sweated heavily was having botox injections into her armpits to stop the sweating. 500 bar, reconed to last 6 months. So got me thinking would this work in hands and leave you free to climb sweat-free? Would you pay 500 notes for 6 months non-greasing sloper pulling? I bet theres people out there who would.....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 paralox darling
March 20, 2003, 01:41:39 pm
Personally I wouldn't but I can imagine many of those doing comps at a high level might well do.

Didn't some US pro-climber have his sweat glands permanently removed from his fingers for about $100k or something? Dunno where I read this, but I did....

nik at work

• forum hero
#2 paralox darling
March 20, 2003, 01:59:40 pm
You can have your nerves cut in your arm if you have sweaty mits, but it is a dodge mac-dodgy-burgers operation which can go badly wrong, cutting the wrong nerve an' all that.
I have pretty sweaty hands (rapist ya' see - neech) but wouldn't ever consider it for a nano-second. Also wouldn't want botox injections in case my fingers tuned into Leslie Ash's lips and Neil Morrisey started buying me paintbrushes and garden furniture.

dave

#3 paralox darling
March 20, 2003, 02:08:49 pm
If your hands did go like LA's lips, at least you would be able to handjam fist cracks, and make light work of stuff like Ray's Roof.

I've always wondered if its possible just to stop yourself sweating, like the people who can slow thier heart right down and stuff like that, but its probably a reflex which can't be controlled.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 paralox darling
March 20, 2003, 03:41:25 pm
mmmm....check out the delighfully named:

http://www.curesweatypalms.com/

or even the gorgeous:

http://www.embarrassingproblems.com/pages2/sweating_a.htm

But beware the bit that says:

The main drawback is that the body may compensate by increasing sweating elsewhere – usually the trunk, but sometimes the feet – so you may end up swapping sweaty armpits for a sweaty abdomen. This happens in between a third and three-quarters of people who have had the operation. In 1 in 100, this 'compensatory' sweating is very severe, and they regret they had the operation. Unfortunately, the operation cannot be reversed.

Aaaghh! you might end up with dry fingers but a belly like a paedo in a dawn kiddie fiddler raid - nice!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal