Arse 2 (Read 2380 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Arse 2
June 05, 2005, 06:52:28 pm
Well as if one break in the household wasn't enough, it's now the first week anniversary of Ms. Fiend badly breaking her lower leg  :shock: (whilst walking into St Bees....damn boulderers!) I was going to rant about this last week but didn't want to be too brash about it as it had to be operated on...

But now she's doing okay after an operation on Wednesday, and now has a steel contraption somewhat comparable to Eiffel Tower support girders pinned through and around her leg. Poor girl  :cry: This infernal device will be bolted to her for the next couple of months, although she'll be able to weight the leg fairly soon when the pain dies down.

Luckily my own break is getting better so I'm more mobile - but not enough to think about climbing, so I'm around to help her out. Weird, but it's actually good timing that I'm not fully functioning ATM.

Anyway, apart from piss-taking replies that neither of us could be trusted to tie our own shoe-laces let alone partake in adventurous outdoor activities (which would be well deserved  :wink: ), does anyone have any advice (preferably from experience) about dealing with this sort of joint pinning??

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1 Arse 2
June 05, 2005, 07:54:05 pm
Ouch - hope she has a speedy recovery. Bet it was fun getting out of St Bees with a bust leg!

But sorry, never had this sort of break myself so can't offer any useful advice.

JR

• forum abuser
#2 Arse 2
June 06, 2005, 12:38:27 pm
havent really got anything constructive to say apart from sympathising with her about the fact that the operation to put pins in hurts like hell.  But the sooner you get off the strong painkillers the better, cos you start living again and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

I used to see loads of those contraptions in hospital when i was in my elbow gump brace, they'd give me really funny "what the hell happened to him" the same as i would them.

what did she do to manage to shatter it so bad?  They use those devices when they are in many, many bits, like if its been runover or smashed to bits or whatever.

Interestingly my physio said he knew a consultant that managed to make one of those stabilisation things out of bike components, that was an identical working replica, for about 1/100th of the price of the proper ones.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3 Arse 2
June 06, 2005, 01:22:26 pm
Bet it was fun getting out of St Bees with a bust leg!

Actually it was - she was right down the bottom and it was too rough to get a boat in so she got winched out by chopper!

what did she do to manage to shatter it so bad?

Just slipped on some wet rock whilst walking along....her right foot skidded along, her left foot stayed where it was and her left leg twisted and snapped both bones just above the ankle (ugh, makes me feel queasy just typing it). They decided to pin because the break is a bit "loose" and with both bones broken there's no support there.

And yeah she has been off the morphine drip for a few days now and is getting more mobile with it - slowly.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Arse 2
June 06, 2005, 01:38:45 pm
Bad news Matt, wish you both a speedy recovery. With all that bad luck, I would buy a lottery ticket, if yin and yang are anything to go by.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#5 Arse 2
June 06, 2005, 01:56:58 pm
Man you two have had some bad luck recently!  Hope you both have a speedy recovery...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal