UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2102209 times)

remus

• forum hero
Not gonna be everyones cup of tea, I thought it was fun though.

abarro81

• forum hero
Not gonna be everyones cup of tea

I can confirm this is true. Felt like 10 minutes of shots/edits that didn't make the cut for something else to me  :lol:

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
Thought FLOAT was good!

Sasquatch

• forum hero
  • www.akclimber.com
    • AkClimber
FLOAT reminded me of many of the old-school bouldering videos from the 2000s.  Low-quality videography, high-quality climbing.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

AMorris

• obsessive maniac
  • Trying to find form
Not gonna be everyones cup of tea, I thought it was fun though.

Hmmm yeah. I really tried to enjoy it, but I feel like I just watched a 10 minute advert (which I guess I did). There was about 1 minute of watchable climbing footage in it. I love this early 2000s style, but the only reason I liked it in the first place is because it felt organically gritty and you end up seeing so much climbing without much chaff. With all the cuts after individual moves, this film felt singularly unsatisfying. FLOAT seems to be getting decent reviews though, so I will give that a bash.

Bradders

• forum hero
A nice video this, but worth watching for the pretty incredible save near the end! Not quite Jim Pope on Appointment with Death but impressive nonetheless.

edshakey

• forum abuser

5 hard Bishop highballs, in a day. Pretty breathtaking

gardinrm

• menacing presence

Love this. Really positive and genuine vibes. Felt like it would be amazing fun to be part of this group. Bet there is just endless potential to explore new rock there.

Duma

• forum hero
Nice, really enjoyed the feel of that

andy popp

• forum hero
This is excellent.

Wellsy

• forum hero
Yeah I thought it was quality, one of the best in a long while

CapitalistPunter

• addict

Felix14

• regular
What's a pseudo-french back flag?

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Wow, I just got chance to watch the Mellow Keenan Takahashi video and it might be the best one they've put out!

His description of why he likes highballing was interesting to me, because it's kinda what i've been into recently too (at a lower level of course). There's a different fulfilment from getting into the headspace needed to climb things where a fall has a reasonable chance of occurring and it might have consequences. Maybe it's the skate/BMX background that does it...

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Maybe he’s / you’re just mental?

Those last moves were harrowing. But like you say, brilliant video.

More importantly, is it E11?  :-\

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Maybe he’s / you’re just mental?

Those last moves were harrowing. But like you say, brilliant video.

More importantly, is it E11?  :-\

Possibly wired for thrill seeking more than the average person, but I'd like to think I take calculated risks personally.

I think this one is still in the realms of a highball boulder rather than a route needing an E grade, but it's getting close. It has a good landing and it's at a height where it can be padded out sufficiently so that a fall would mostly be ok (with fresh enough joints!). I'd guess that falling from the top of this onto a good amount of pads would result in no severe injuries more than 50% of the time, but my opinion would change if, after toproping it, I found that a fall was likely to be uncontrolled and land me on my head!

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Hi Liam, my tongue was firmly in my cheek writing that (I wasn’t seriously suggesting you’re unhinged) but limit highballs are impressive whatever the grade.

It does beg the question as to where the line between highball and route lies and what determines it. Height? Likely injury? Use of pads vs not?

Whatever, that ascent of Takahashi’s was stunning. What a film..

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Don't worry, I assumed that was the case.

I don't think there could ever be definitive lines between normal boulders, highballs and solos, it's subjective.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
No I think Liam's definitely mental. Especially the idea that this isn't a route. What would it have got if Dawes or Moffatt had put it up in the late 80s above a stack of car seats??

Although it's a moot point. American highballs are British grit solos and British grit solos are American highballs. I'm always curious to see an estimated E-grade for them tho.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
It's high, but from my armchair it doesn't look that death-defying. Is it a similar height to The Great Flake? The move to the slot looks like it would produce a fairly clean fall? Obviously it's not safe but it equally doesn't look especially dangerous, certainly not compared to a couple of things he does in the video which look higher and with worse landings/snatchier moves that if you dropped them would send you flying off backwards.

Wellsy

• forum hero
He specifically says he's not into soloing and not into stuff where he might die. He's looking for a sense of potential for real but not lethal consequences following a fall. So very much in line with Liam there.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
I'm actually in the process of making my own film* on this topic (and more broadly, exploration and creative expression in climbing, as opposed to chasing pure difficulty). Hopefully, I'll be able to express what I get from highballing there better than I could with written words.

*It feels wrong to use this word as just an idiot with a camera who doesn't know what he's doing! Almost as though i'm cheapening it's meaning, but I guess that's what i'm attempting to make. It will be firmly non-quality relative to the Mellow one though!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
Bet you could count the number of people out there who aren't idiots with a camera on my fingers (and maybe toes). Go for the KISS approach and sure it will be great.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Enjoyed this one:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal