UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2100624 times)

Wellsy

• forum hero
What don't people like about the video!? It's high quality footage of the best boulderer in the world raging on the hardest* boulder in the world!

*Probs gets repeated before BoD though

Tbh I loved the actual send! I'm not big into slowmo sounds and shots of DWoods screaming "NOOOO" over and over but I get what they were trying to do and admittedly the black and white looked cool.

It's interesting to compare the video and problem to Burden of Dreams. BoD being a classic phone in a shoe type jobbie (and being like a four move problem). I too expect this will get repeated long before it does

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
I liked that, better than just another talking head harping on about pushing themselves. The rock looks befitting of a 'world's hardest' problem. Anyone notice how tiny his pins were in the send footage? I hope he got himself a burger afterwards.

"Only one thing left to do - Party All you can eat buffet in Vegas!"

Duma

• forum hero
Don't know why the vid would be very divisive?

...the best boulderer in the world raging on the hardest* boulder in the world!

I doubt both of these statements. 

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Because DWoods is not having the most fun? 😄

Who would wear the crown of ‘best’ for you?

Burden is probably going to remain a bit of a mystery as any would be suitors would have to move to Finland for 6 months and live in a depressing flat whilst it was snowing.

turnipturned

• forum abuser

Burden is probably going to remain a bit of a mystery as any would be suitors would have to move to Finland for 6 months and live in a depressing flat whilst it was snowing.

Or we do a little bit of crowd source funding to get Aidan out there!! Probably only take him a session.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Aidan and Rustam head to head live-streamed!

Ross Barker

• menacing presence
  • Deathly afraid of traverses
The Big BoD Repeat Event 2021. Book your tickets now!

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Whether D Woods is the 'best' boulderer or not is actually quite interesting. I believe his tick list is the strongest and I can't think what else you might judge it on (no, it isn't the person having the most fun!). I think everyone agrees Ondra is the best sport climber for the same reason.

abarro81

• forum hero
Whether D Woods is the 'best' boulderer or not is actually quite interesting. I believe his tick list is the strongest and I can't think what else you might judge it on

"Best" is a tricky one. Really you mean "most accomplished", which is a decent proxy for "best", but depends on whether you want to know best at a given moment or whether you give marks for longevity and consistency.

It's possible to be the best very briefly and be much less accomplished than all the people you're better than, although of course you have to achieve a certain amount to actually "be good" and not just "have potential". You could have someone have a wonder year where they onsight 9a+, climb 9c quick but have done nothing else and then quit. They'd probably have been the best climber in the world that year (i.e. put them "up against" anyone else and they'd burn them off) but would not be the most accomplished climber. :worms: Perhaps easier to visualise with comps - kid comes, wins everything for a year, quits.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
The Barrows Question: "Yeah, they're good, but what have they ever onsighted on Rodellar limestone?"

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
That's just blowing smoke Alex.

Everyone knows the true metric - 8a.nu Ranking.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
Whether D Woods is the 'best' boulderer or not is actually quite interesting. I believe his tick list is the strongest and I can't think what else you might judge it on

"Best" is a tricky one. Really you mean "most accomplished", which is a decent proxy for "best", but depends on whether you want to know best at a given moment or whether you give marks for longevity and consistency.

It's possible to be the best very briefly and be much less accomplished than all the people you're better than, although of course you have to achieve a certain amount to actually "be good" and not just "have potential". You could have someone have a wonder year where they onsight 9a+, climb 9c quick but have done nothing else and then quit. They'd probably have been the best climber in the world that year (i.e. put them "up against" anyone else and they'd burn them off) but would not be the most accomplished climber. :worms: Perhaps easier to visualise with comps - kid comes, wins everything for a year, quits.

True, and this is an eternal debate in boxing circles e.g. a Larry Holmes type longevity vs a prime Mike Tyson peak - Who was greater? There are probably better examples.

Regardless, in 2021 Daniel Woods has climbed V17, V16 (Grand Illusion, any others?), and I don't know below that but he could well be top on longevity and current form!

remus

• forum hero
Woods has done friggin loads of hard stuff, this is an incomplete list: https://climbing-history.org/climber/516/daniel-woods Nalle's the other obvious contender.

i_a_coops

• forum abuser
    • Ian Cooper
Do you not also have to be considered cool by the cognoscenti?  ;) Feel like Woods falls down a bit on that one, kinda like James Pearson with hard trad  :worms:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento

True, and this is an eternal debate in boxing circles e.g. a Larry Holmes type longevity vs a prime Mike Tyson peak - Who was greater? There are probably better examples.

Salvadore Sanchez is the usual poster-boy for "brief but brilliant". He died in a car crash at 23, shortly after winning his 10th world title fight, beating Azumah Nelson (who then went on to be probably the  greatest African boxer of all time).  Despite his title reign being only around 2-3 years, Sanchez is often rated as a top 3-5 featherweight of all time - with  asides that he could have been the greatest.

Ike Ibeabuchi is often mentioned on boxing forums as the prime example of "what might have been".  Really naturally talented 90's heavyweight, he was just getting going career-wise but already looked a future great (beat David Tua, Chris Byrd) when he was imprisoned for kidnapping a prostitute (not long after abducting an ex's child and leaving them permanently disabled in a car crash). Thinking about it, there were loads of "lost"  heavyweights from the late 80-90s.  Oliver McCall, Tony Tubbs, Michael Dokes, Trevor Berbick, Michael Spinks, Gregg Page - all crack.addicts. Mike Tyson had a long and stable career by comparison!

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Do you not also have to be considered cool by the cognoscenti?  ;) Feel like Woods falls down a bit on that one, kinda like James Pearson with hard trad  :worms:

Poor Woods being compared to Pearson 😂 He’s part of the Mellow collective and one of the Boulder Co crew, surely he must have some cool points? He’s not Jimmy but he’s not Ethan Pringle!

andy popp

• forum hero

Salvadore Sanchez is the usual poster-boy for "brief but brilliant". He died in a car crash at 23,

Bradders

• forum hero
Woods has done friggin loads of hard stuff, this is an incomplete list: https://climbing-history.org/climber/516/daniel-woods Nalle's the other obvious contender.

As the only two people to have climbed unrepeated 9A boulders, and both with multiple 8C+ ascents too, I'd say they're the only contenders for "most accomplished boulderer" currently.

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker
Has Nalle climbed owt hard since Burden, or has he just been climbing at new venues around the world, whilst simultaneously complaining about people flying?

Doylo

• forum hero
Has Nalle climbed owt hard since Burden, or has he just been climbing at new venues around the world, whilst simultaneously complaining about people flying?

He did Sleepwalker,  whilst simultaneously complaining he had to do it a harder way.

Duma

• forum hero
News to me, what was his sequence?

Doylo

• forum hero
News to me, what was his sequence?

Bradders

• forum hero
Back to the topic of the Woods video, I was going to post that one of Nalle; much more my bag in terms of style and quality. Also this one:

Duma

• forum hero
Cheers Chris

teestub

• forum hero
  • Cyber Wanker

Rewatching this and seeing how spanned DW is getting into the little slot, it looks like Nalle could have reached but then wouldn’t have had anything to be grumpy about.

“Uuuuuuh I’ve got to get on a fucking business class flight again and fly to these shitty beautiful boulders”

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal