UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2101182 times)

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179

I don't want to claim much, but click on my website and you will I am making an effort  ;)

Why not put the link in your forum signature?

ok
21 of your own videos and only 3 likes...You're a picky dude!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
Just out of interest why did you bother to watch / comment on it?

You can't (reasonably) comment on something if you haven't watched it.  :shrug:

I've written before that I think there is little point in denigrating or commending here on UKB  people's efforts in producing and making freely available short bouldering/climbing videos when they are not a UKB regular as the people who have spent the time and effort making them are highly unlikely to read the critique/feedback.  If someone is that bothered to write something after having watched a video the most appropriate place to provide feedback is on the YouTube/Vimeo page itself rather than here because that way the people who made it might read it.  If on the other hand they feel cheated out of a few minutes of their lives watching crap videos and are sick of them then there is an obvious solution (which you have suggested).

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/

I don't want to claim much, but click on my website and you will I am making an effort  ;)

Why not put the link in your forum signature?

:) you're right there, my videos are only for beta and local info etc. They have no pretensions to be art. The video in question attracted my interest I guess because of the title, the word 'experiment'
Then I watched it, as you would.
21 of your own videos and only 3 likes...You're a picky dude!

Andy W

• forum abuser
Just out of interest why did you bother to watch / comment on it?

You can't (reasonably) comment on something if you haven't watched it.  :shrug:

I've written before that I think there is little point in denigrating or commending here on UKB  people's efforts in producing and making freely available short bouldering/climbing videos when they are not a UKB regular as the people who have spent the time and effort making them are highly unlikely to read the critique/feedback.  If someone is that bothered to write something after having watched a video the most appropriate place to provide feedback is on the YouTube/Vimeo page itself rather than here because that way the people who made it might read it.  If on the other hand they feel cheated out of a few minutes of their lives watching crap videos and are sick of them then there is an obvious solution (which you have suggested).

I have to disagree, theres a 'quality'  'non quality' issue going on and without a place for critique and debate how would anyone know where to stick the videos.

r2d2

• regular
Someone has obviously put a lot of effort in to making it but personally I prefer videos with minimal editing/cutting and long uninterrupted sequences.

Some of the best / iconic bouldering videos made contain split screen, bits of choppy editing, multiple camera angles, close ups medium shots etc. It would all be a bit dull otherwise. its not much of a critique to say I'm sick of bouldering videos these days.

Andy W

• forum abuser
Someone has obviously put a lot of effort in to making it but personally I prefer videos with minimal editing/cutting and long uninterrupted sequences.

Some of the best / iconic bouldering videos made contain split screen, bits of choppy editing, multiple camera angles, close ups medium shots etc. It would all be a bit dull otherwise. its not much of a critique to say I'm sick of bouldering videos these days.

It wasn't much of a critique you're right  ;)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
I have to disagree, theres a 'quality'  'non quality' issue going on and without a place for critique and debate how would anyone know where to stick the videos.

Is it really an on-going issue?  I don't think it is.....unless someone doesn't like a video posted in the 'Quality' thread.  Unfortunately what constitutes quality/non-quality will always be subjective (as with all 'art', even if there is a majority consensus). 

Personally I don't bother making much of a distinction between the quality/non-quality threads (mainly because if I think something is shit I tend not to bother posting it), but having followed the forum for some time what I generally see happening is that the non-quality is where people post their own (or other registered UKB users) videos.  For example Dave Mason's videos are often posted to the 'Non-quality' thread, despite being well made.

If you want to have a discussion about the intricacies of making 'quality' home-made videos then there is no doubt some mileage in having such a thread (as an example see the discussion from between GuyVG and Fiend from here onwards) and there are a number of users who have experience and have produced some very fine videos so its probably worth starting such a thread.

I just see no mileage in posting on UKB what amounts to "That was shit" because, as I wrote and you appear to have missed, the people who made it aren't going to read that feedback (if feedback was the intention of making the comment in the first place).  This is after all UKBouldering not ARKBouldering and the member demographics tend to reflect that (with a few notable exceptions).

Andy W

• forum abuser

Is it really an on-going issue?  I don't think it is.....unless someone doesn't like a video posted in the 'Quality' thread.  Unfortunately what constitutes quality/non-quality will always be subjective (as with all 'art', even if there is a majority consensus). 

Personally I don't bother making much of a distinction between the quality/non-quality threads (mainly because if I think something is shit I tend not to bother posting it), but having followed the forum for some time what I generally see happening is that the non-quality is where people post their own (or other registered UKB users) videos.  For example Dave Mason's videos are often posted to the 'Non-quality' thread, despite being well made.

If you want to have a discussion about the intricacies of making 'quality' home-made videos then there is no doubt some mileage in having such a thread (as an example see the discussion from between GuyVG and Fiend from here onwards) and there are a number of users who have experience and have produced some very fine videos so its probably worth starting such a thread.

I just see no mileage in posting on UKB what amounts to "That was shit" because, as I wrote and you appear to have missed, the people who made it aren't going to read that feedback (if feedback was the intention of making the comment in the first place).  This is after all UKBouldering not ARKBouldering and the member demographics tend to reflect that (with a few notable exceptions).

While qualitative judgements are being made and consensus reached, as you suggest, then of course it is an ongoing issue, i think you are contradicting yourself.

I'm not really interested in a discussion about the intricacies of making ' quality' home made videos.

I posted a question initially, as to what the words 'Ark' and 'experiment' meant, then I grumbled...jeez, I though this was a forum.

tomtom

• forum hero
Do the bouldering problems come in pairs in ARK?

andy popp

• forum hero
...jeez, I though this was a forum.

And we've just seen a pretty good example of what a forum is meant to do.

Andy W

• forum abuser
...jeez, I though this was a forum.

And we've just seen a pretty good example of what a forum is meant to do.

true  :)

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
I didn't think that the video would create such a fuss...
"Ark do they come in pairs" yes they do Tomtom.
Unedited footage from the same fella ...

And the "experimental" version

It is amazing what people like dislike, as they say there is no accounting for taste.
All show high production values, even if you don't like the way they have been edited.
His Vimeo account has some great vids on some sharp rock.
https://vimeo.com/user6702244/videos/page:1/sort:date

My favourite climbing movie is this

Low production values, l love the music, gripping climbing.
I post things up here that I find inspiring.
But each to their own.
Have a great weekend everybody...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 10:17:48 pm by jfdm »

Andy W

• forum abuser
Unedited footage from same fella ...

It is amazing what people like dislike, as they say there is no accounting for taste.
All show high production values, even if you don't like the way they have been edited.

But each to their own.

Its also amazing what people like...now you tell me what is quality about that second vid? I'll tell you that there is nothing experimental about it, it's over produced, the  production values, what do people mean when they say this, you can have as much of it as you like, but if the idea or content is poor it means nothing, it leaves us with something saccharine a kind of simulacrum of the real thing, (now that is a good video) I'm interested in video that captures or represents the experience of bouldering, not a video by someone with production facilities but nothing much to say/film.

jfdm

• obsessive maniac
Its also amazing what people like...now you tell me what is quality about that second vid?

I haven't said I like the videos by Mathieu, to be honest I'm not sure myself.
I do think that they are unusual, beautifully shot unedited.
As for taste, it is always subjective.
My wife hates my taste in music, but I can't help that I like dnb.
As an art teacher there are always contrasting views when trying to evaluate creative things. Be it a drawing, painting, video.
That's what makes things interesting.

Andy w I'm not telling you what to think.

AndyR

• forum hero
Its also amazing what people like...now you tell me what is quality about that second vid?

I haven't said I like the videos by Mathieu, to be honest I'm not sure myself.
I do think that they are unusual, beautifully shot unedited.
As for taste, it is always subjective.
My wife hates my taste in music, but I can't help that I like dnb.
As an art teacher there are always contrasting views when trying to evaluate creative things. Be it a drawing, painting, video.
That's what makes things interesting.

Andy w I'm not telling you what to think.

Yeah - likewise - I found them some of the most intriguing bouldering vids I've seen for a long time - I watched to the end which is a rarity these days...

iwasmexican

• obsessive maniac
Unedited footage from same fella ...

But each to their own.

Its also amazing what people like...now you tell me what is quality about that second vid? I'll tell you that there is nothing experimental about it, it's over produced, the  production values, what do people mean when they say this, you can have as much of it as you like, but if the idea or content is poor it means nothing, it leaves us with something saccharine a kind of simulacrum of the real thing, (now that is a good video) I'm interested in video that captures or represents the experience of bouldering, not a video by someone with production facilities but nothing much to say/film.

sure are some nice fonts though

derekthatcher

tomtom

• forum hero
Fucking brilliant film that :)

filz

• addict
Nice one!

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

Murph

• forum abuser
That there is the best bouldering vid I ever saw. Utterly awesome.

a dense loner

• forum hero
Great little vid, he's obviously out of his mind. Brilliant :clap2:

grimer

• forum hero
Agreed, brilliant :-)

Gritter

• menacing presence
Mustard that!  :dance1:

Eth

Joy Division AND some powerful dungarees...ticks all the boxes for me  :2thumbsup:

Duma

• forum hero
:-)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal