UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2102364 times)

a dense loner

• forum hero
Fantastic, one of the best things I've seen for a long time

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
I knew this would happen sooner or later... I agree with Lee...  :hug:

Huffy

• obsessive maniac
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/forceit
Brilliant!

Fantastic, one of the best things I've seen for a long time

ghisino

• forum abuser
I like the concept and video a lot but at the same time i'm slightly disapponted that it perpetuates a common misrepresentation that gneiss and granite are the same thing...

normally i wouldn't care too much but last year i attended a short "rock climbing geology" held by a strong french girl for us wannabe climbing instructors...and she said : "Gneiss...[blah blah bla]...very interesting but i've never heard of any climbing on such rock, so it must all be choss!"
That is when it starts being disappointing (maybe the disappointing thing is that the class wasn't held by a geologist)

btw, how many here are aware that:

1-Ticino is all gneiss
2-Some features like the waves on the Molonk boulder can't be mistaken for granite. That's a signature of the metamorphic process.
3-although gneiss is often "messed up granite", some of it isn't...eg cresciano should be "messed up" sand or sandstone (Paragneiss)...

andy_e

• forum hero
Thanks ghisino, I get sick of people saying granite when it's not! I thought a lot of the stuff in switzerland was blueschist/greenschist/eclogite though? Maybe that's just Magic Wood.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
Jesus Christ, you two are killing all the poetry. Next time I see my girl I'll tell her "You've got very beautiful mammary glands". Thanks.

andy_e

• forum hero
Gniess Earth has a better ring to it. Anyway, you don't go around calling climbing football, or calling apples oranges. They're two completely different things.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
"Gneiss...[blah blah bla]...very interesting but i've never heard of any climbing on such rock, so it must all be choss!"

Mmmmmmmm, choss.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
Entertaining video, well done, but I'm still not a fan of granite climbing despite the strong aesthetics. Maybe a Sandstone Earth next? ;)

AndyR

• forum hero
I like the concept and video a lot but at the same time i'm slightly disapponted that it perpetuates a common misrepresentation that gneiss and granite are the same thing...

normally i wouldn't care too much but last year i attended a short "rock climbing geology" held by a strong french girl for us wannabe climbing instructors...and she said : "Gneiss...[blah blah bla]...very interesting but i've never heard of any climbing on such rock, so it must all be choss!"
That is when it starts being disappointing (maybe the disappointing thing is that the class wasn't held by a geologist)

btw, how many here are aware that:

1-Ticino is all gneiss
2-Some features like the waves on the Molonk boulder can't be mistaken for granite. That's a signature of the metamorphic process.
3-although gneiss is often "messed up granite", some of it isn't...eg cresciano should be "messed up" sand or sandstone (Paragneiss)...
Man, I'm with you there - especially when most of the rocks called granite are actually tonalite and granodiorites...

andy_e

• forum hero
Well, next you'll be telling us the Dolomites aren't made of limestone...

tomtom

• forum hero
Fucking hell, Geology pedants...

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Who invited Buzz Killington and his chums?

2 good thing in this thread:
another decent free video from LT11
a positive comment from Lee

some people are never happy!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I presumed it was JB on Dense's login despite the fact that I know they haven't lived in the same house for years so this would be very unlikely.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
Come on lay off lee a little, imagine how annoyed you would be if the sides of your head were squeezing on your brain that hard all the time.

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
Am I the only grumpy bastard that couldn't make it through the first three minutes?
I skipped forward a few times and not one single bit I watched drew my attention.
Where's my Splinter dvd, now?

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
And now dense is logging in as Nibile.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
Jesus Christ, you two are killing all the poetry. Next time I see my girl I'll tell her "You've got very beautiful mammary glands". Thanks.

Quote from: The Smiths
Let me get my hands
On your mammary glands
And let me get your head
On the conjugal bed
I say, I say, I say

a dense loner

• forum hero
I knew nibs wouldn't like it, no brutal display of power. Just good climbing to chilled music and a good dickie attenborough impression. No outlet for nibs' strong caffeine addiction  ;)
The yin and yang nibs

Nibile

• forum hero
    • TOTOLORE
 ;D

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
  good concept.... Might catch on

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
A (French) pal of mine once planned to create a guide to the Best Boulangeries of France with location and times, range, star specials, prices etc - crag-by-crag.

A brilliant idea, from one who was a true expert in the field. Shame he never got round to it. Too busy climbing I'm afraid. :lol:

masonwoods101

• forum abuser
Had to google boulangeries... But that does sound like a good idea... Another idea for English climbing films would be to show a problem followed by directions to the nearest good pub..... I'm gonna gonna do that....  :icon_beerchug:

AndyR

• forum hero
I knew nibs wouldn't like it, no brutal display of power. Just good climbing to chilled music and a good dickie attenborough impression. No outlet for nibs' strong caffeine addiction  ;)
The yin and yang nibs
Dickie Attenborough?

a dense loner

• forum hero
Quite right andy i meant david I just started with the 'd' and then continued with whatever was in my hand at the time

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal