UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2101879 times)

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3950 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 12, 2012, 03:03:27 pm
Boo to the drilled pockets  :(

Forest Rock is in Woodhouse Eaves in Leicestershire, just South of Loughborough, come off M1 at Jn23.

andy_e

• forum hero
#3951 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 12, 2012, 03:06:51 pm
Boo to the drilled pockets in the drilled hole in the drilled ground :(

dontfollowme

• Trusted Users
  • junky

AndyR

• forum hero
#3953 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 12, 2012, 06:06:44 pm
Really enjoyed this. The last few problems look superb!

The full length video is very good - some very nice areas being developed in the PNW  :)

Doylo

• forum hero
#3954 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 12, 2012, 07:35:37 pm
Looks like a cool problem!

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#3955 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 12, 2012, 09:33:21 pm
Whereabouts is that overhanging slate stuff r-man? Any topo around? Looks kinda cool.

Topo: http://www.leicestershireclimbs.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=78

That topo doesn't show the new stuff though. If anyone wants the tour, get in touch with Dawid - I'm sure he'd be keen to show you around.

Think the traverse and arch problem should be fairly obvious, especially if you use the videos. Enchantress, just make sure you start on the right holds and don't bridge out right - Mike's video shows the beta most people will use. Bring a kneepad for this, or your thigh will be destroyed! Check out Mike's vimeo for several videos of the other new stuff. Conditions are pretty reliable apparently - Dawid and Mike have been going all summer when most of the lime was wet.

Nunckley quarry is also 10min away, so the two can be combined well.

Wood FT

• forum hero
#3956 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 12, 2012, 10:11:50 pm

The full length video is very good - some very nice areas being developed in the PNW  :)

nice restrained edit, lovely stuff

a dense loner

• forum hero
#3957 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 12, 2012, 11:12:03 pm
I thought it was fuckin shit

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#3958 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 10:01:42 am
I thought it was fuckin shit
my learned colleague is forthright with his critique

tomtom

• forum hero
#3959 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 10:21:55 am

I spent a day bouldering at Leavenworth summer 2011 - it is a really good spot... I was at the places in the first few problems... Worth a visit if you're in Washington State...

I didnt really like the film though.. nice to see the place again!

grimer

• forum hero
#3960 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 02:22:50 pm
I had a sessin at Forest Rock yesterday, really enjoyed it. Some seepage coming through at the minute. It'll be in a Leicestershire guide that the BMC are working on at the minute with locals.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#3961 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 04:46:34 pm
re. Shades of Grey
Is anyone else concerned by the fact that this is a purely manufactured problem? On facebook the comments are really rather congratulationary which stikes me as odd. I see how it's a good problem to climb and have no issue with the fact it's been climbed but the fella who drilled it has even posted saying how he 'drilled it 4 years ago but couldn't touch it'.
I know it's in a quarry.I know how quarries are made. But I also had the understanding that as climbers we take on the challenges that the rock presents us and statements such a  'it was unclimbable' are poor justification for vandalism and 'problem creation'. How many problems have been deemed unclimbable in the past and are now being climbed? Is it an issue that a wall is unclimbable? Can we not just leave it at that?
Another comment suggests that the problem was a 'visionary creation'. I would suggest it was quite the opposite.
If we start applauding this behaviour where might it lead?

dave

#3962 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 04:56:59 pm
What dave said.

Watching the video i kinda assumed it was something drilled decades ago, a mistake of the 80s or something like that. What kind of dick drills problems in the 21st century? If anyone is down Leicestershire way with a bit of sika or cement you know what to do.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3963 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 05:13:32 pm
I agree. I thought it had been chipped for other purposes, being in a quarry, and then Mike climbed it.

Dolph

• player
#3964 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 08:05:32 pm
After learning this was drilled only 4/5 years ago, I too share your concerns. I did put on Facebook that I thought that this was a perfect problem and for the move alone that would be true. I also put it was a visionary creation and in some sense this is also true. However I was clearly riding high after being pleased to climb the line. Learning that this was drilled recently has totally spoilt it for me. When I first saw this line I assumed it was done 30 years ago, when people were more narrow minded. It seemed okay to climb on it as it was someone's genious mistake. Learning it was done in modern times fills me with dread that the person responsible (not naming names) will do this again! This clearly can not be allowed to happen. It's a dark road to head down, wether the rock is blank or not.

I do not think this particular problem should be filled in as it's an well known local challenge (another reason I thought it was ancient). I think it is best to draw a line under it. Ensure it never happens again and move one. If people decide that this really needs the pockets filling in to make a statement, I will even offer to do it my self.

Finally let me just state that categorically I am against chipping n any way shape or form!!!

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#3965 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 08:22:12 pm
Well said Scouse.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#3966 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 08:27:32 pm
Although not well spelled. The post should say 'congratulatory', not 'congratulationary'. Teachers today...

dave

#3967 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 08:28:28 pm
However I was clearly riding high after being pleased to climb the line.

Good to hear that was just pillow talk, thought you'd taken leave of your senses there for a minute!

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#3968 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 08:31:21 pm
Well said Scouse Dolph.

cha1n

• forum hero
#3969 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 11:08:23 pm
Here is a film I made when my girlfriend and I had 3 weeks up in the Peaks.

Hey, not trying to be a pedant and I only mention it because I may try the problem tomorrow, but didn't you finish Jerry's traverse in the wrong place at 11:28?

hobblingfool

• regular
#3970 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 13, 2012, 11:26:47 pm
Really good post Dolph. One of the sadest thing to me about chipping problems like this is that it takes away the sense of satisfaction you deserve for putting in the effort. We all dream of a classic first ascent and you have been robbed of this feeling; as you say you didn't know it was recently chipped, you should be pissed off. I would be. We have a finite amount of quality rock, who cares if it was originally quarried, create holds at climbing walls not on rock.

neilslim

• regular
#3971 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 14, 2012, 10:38:06 am
Whats the Facebook page 50 shades is being discussed on? Has anyone had a look at the line to the left of the drilled pockets, in the corner, on small uppercuts? Looks like it would go.... Good effort on shades of grey, had a dabble a few months back.

cofe

• forum hero
#3972 Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 14, 2012, 12:16:01 pm
Well said Scouse.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#3973 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 14, 2012, 12:20:52 pm
Yes well said Dolph. Very responsible of you.   :2thumbsup:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#3974 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
October 15, 2012, 10:00:54 am
What Scouse said. The uncritical congrat I put on fb were before any mention of drilled holds, I had no idea. This sort of thing sets a bad precedent even if it's on unclimbable ground in an obscure location, one man's unclimbable and obscure may be very different to another's and these notions tend to drift once one thing is considered justifiable

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal