UKBouldering.com

Quality Bouldering Videos (part I) (Read 2102307 times)

T_B

• forum hero
#2500 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 10:22:28 am
it doesnt belong in QBV because its shit and not funny.
:agree:

dm

• regular
#2501 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 11:27:34 am
Can anyone tell me where Chris got "pissed" about the downgrade?  He seemed quite reasonable about it all on his blog thingy.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#2502 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 11:32:52 am
Can anyone tell me where Chris got "pissed" about the downgrade?  He seemed quite reasonable about it all on his blog thingy.

Reasonable? Doesn't sound that reasonable. I can imagine off the internet he was probably less so.

although I was personally hurt by some of the video. I found part of the video to be disrespectful and I know I would never try to do that to someone even if I did not like the person.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2503 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 11:52:33 am

Reasonable? Doesn't sound that reasonable. I can imagine off the internet he was probably less so.

Quote from: Chris Webb Parsons
The video was well made and entertaining and it made me laugh in some parts although I was personally hurt by some of the video. I found part of the video to be disrespectful and I know I would never try to do that to someone even if I did not like the person.

I'm sure Carlo, Jon and Paul etc... know that grading first ascents is not the easiest thing to do.
There are a lot more variables that go into putting up a first ascent than there are to repeat an existing problem.

I would have found this video to be super funny if the unnecessary start of the video was not included.

If you're going to quote don't be selective to support your view point, and more importantly link to your sources (post dated 6th December 2010). He looks soooo upset in the picture, like he's just cried a river!

Perhaps dm is questioning where Chris originally disputed the problem downgrade (and not where he was upset by the video, which if you read the above blog post and look at the picture does indeed suggest that he's not that bothered (as I read it at least)).

Further down Chris's blog he writes this about the downgrade (post dated 16th November 2010) and it doesn't sound that upset/pissed off and actually quite reasonable as dm wrote)..

Bella Luna my new problem I climbed in Chironico has seen a very fast repeat from Carlo Traversi.
First of all congratulations to Carlo.
Carlo has logged Bella Luna on his 8a.nu scorecard as V12 and I logged it on as V14.

I climbed Bella Luna after 3 days of work and I found it to be a hard challenge for myself.
I was not sure if the grade of V14 was appropriate for Bella Luna but after talking with Two friends of mine who are very talented climbers, one of which has climbed V14, we thought the grade of V14 would be ok due to Bella Luna being harder than other V13s in Switzerland.

I except the down grade, but I do not believe that V12 is appropriate and a grade of V13 would better suit Bella Luna.
Maybe I climbed Bella Luna different to how Carlo climbed it or maybe not, but that's the great thing about climbing Every move is going to be different for everyone.[/i]

I think a) you mis-interpreted what dm was asking; b) the way you wrote the above Adam is mis-representing the facts and adding fuel to a non-existent fire, when its exceptionally simple to be accurate by linking directly to sources.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2504 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 12:03:58 pm

The video was well made and entertaining and it made me laugh in some parts although I was personally hurt by some of the video. I found part of the video to be disrespectful and I know I would never try to do that to someone even if I did not like the person.

I'm sure Carlo, Jon and Paul etc... know that grading first ascents is not the easiest thing to do.
There are a lot more variables that go into putting up a first ascent than there are to repeat an existing problem.

I would have found this video to be super funny if the unnecessary start of the video was not included.

If you're going to quote don't be selective to support your view point, and more importantly link to your sources (post dated 6th December 2010). He looks soooo upset in the picture, like he's just cried a river!

Perhaps dm is questioning where Chris originally disputed the problem downgrade (and not where he was upset by the video, which if you read the above blog post and look at the picture does indeed suggest that he's not that bothered (as I read it at least)).

Further down Chris's blog he writes this about the downgrade (post dated 16th November 2010) and it doesn't sound that upset/pissed off and actually quite reasonable as dm wrote)..

Bella Luna my new problem I climbed in Chironico has seen a very fast repeat from Carlo Traversi.
First of all congratulations to Carlo.
Carlo has logged Bella Luna on his 8a.nu scorecard as V12 and I logged it on as V14.

I climbed Bella Luna after 3 days of work and I found it to be a hard challenge for myself.
I was not sure if the grade of V14 was appropriate for Bella Luna but after talking with Two friends of mine who are very talented climbers, one of which has climbed V14, we thought the grade of V14 would be ok due to Bella Luna being harder than other V13s in Switzerland.

I except the down grade, but I do not believe that V12 is appropriate and a grade of V13 would better suit Bella Luna.
Maybe I climbed Bella Luna different to how Carlo climbed it or maybe not, but that's the great thing about climbing Every move is going to be different for everyone.[/i]

I think a) you mis-interpreted what dm was asking; b) the way you wrote the above Adam is mis-representing the facts and adding fuel to a non-existent fire, when its exceptionally simple to be accurate by linking directly to sources.

Oh right, so you take some post on a blog to be the true thinking? I actually heard it direct from a friend in Oz who is good friends with him actually. (I didn't want to say that originally as i usually get stick for it) Its ok though, you can stay up on that high horse though if you want.  ;D

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2505 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 12:16:34 pm

Oh right, so you take some post on a blog to be the true thinking? I actually heard it direct from a friend in Oz who is good friends with him actually. (I didn't want to say that originally as i usually get stick for it) Its ok though, you can stay up on that high horse though if you want.  ;D

I'm not disputing that you may have heard it from other sources, but you and your mates must be world champions at Chinese Whispers and having amazing powers of recall as your italicised text is verbatim whats written on the blog post I linked.  As I wrote its a piece of piss to link to sources (not doing so is tantamount to plagiarism), my suspicion (in case you hadn't worked it out) is that you copy and pasted from the blog, so why the fuck didn't you link to it?  :shrug:

Regardless, you still mis-interpreted what dm was asking (read it again if you're not clear) and commented on Chris's response to the video, and not the downgrading of Bella Luna which was the second quote and link (with date) I provided.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2506 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 12:22:43 pm
I thought it was pretty obvious where i got it from? Anyway, i guess we will have to agree to disagree. I am off out climbing.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2507 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 12:43:56 pm
I thought it was pretty obvious where i got it from? Anyway, i guess we will have to agree to disagree. I am off out climbing.

:-\ Confusing, you first provide a quote without context/source, then assert that it was from a friend of a friend, and now say that you felt it was clear that it was copied from a blog?

If its that obvious why didn't you link to it? After all you had the web-page open and it would have taken a few more seconds to copy the URL and incorporate the BBcode.  Why didn't you include the part where he says he found the video amusing instead of selectively quoting the bit that supported the point of view you wished to portray (which may have been influence by what you had heard third-hand)?

This is how things get blown out of proportion on t'net, and as you seem pretty tech savvy I'd have expected you to use your knowledge to provide very simple links (they are after all what the net is built upon) to avoid such confusion as you can link and embed pictures and video and other articles fine.

Reading both posts its clear that Webb Parson had no problem with the downgrade (although did feel it was harder than V12), and that he thought it was a shame they had made a personal dig in the video, but that this doesn't appear to have changed his feelings about the proposed downgrade.

Hope you found some dry rock and you enjoyed climbing.  :-*

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2508 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 01:52:21 pm
That sort of personal feud (not that I know anything about it) is best kept as such rather than making a film about it and putting it on the internet I reckon. Pretty undignified stuff really.

Doylo

• forum hero
#2509 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 02:05:56 pm
Another example that Americans can't do comedy! Seems like an easy way to publically rip into someone.  And its obviously more deep rooted than someone getting a grade wrong!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2510 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 02:11:49 pm
Yes and it's not as if CWP is some sort of punter with no history of hard ascents who's claimed a ridiculous grade (in which case a public takedown would possibly be justified and/or amusing).

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2511 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 02:16:20 pm
Regardless of whats going on off t'net CWP doesn't appear to wish to make an issue of it on the net if his blog posts are anything to go by (at least thats how I've read and interpreted them).

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2512 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 03:26:41 pm

:-\ Confusing, you first provide a quote without context/source, then assert that it was from a friend of a friend, and now say that you felt it was clear that it was copied from a blog?

If its that obvious why didn't you link to it? After all you had the web-page open and it would have taken a few more seconds to copy the URL and incorporate the BBcode.  Why didn't you include the part where he says he found the video amusing instead of selectively quoting the bit that supported the point of view you wished to portray (which may have been influence by what you had heard third-hand)?

This is how things get blown out of proportion on t'net, and as you seem pretty tech savvy I'd have expected you to use your knowledge to provide very simple links (they are after all what the net is built upon) to avoid such confusion as you can link and embed pictures and video and other articles fine.

Reading both posts its clear that Webb Parson had no problem with the downgrade (although did feel it was harder than V12), and that he thought it was a shame they had made a personal dig in the video, but that this doesn't appear to have changed his feelings about the proposed downgrade.

Hope you found some dry rock and you enjoyed climbing.  :-*

I am not going to argue with you. If you knew the true story behind it all you would see my point. Sorry for the confusion.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2513 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 03:38:59 pm
I am not going to argue with you.

I'm not arguing, I'm asking that you cite your sources properly, rather than selectively copy and paste because it really is a piece of piss to do so.

If you knew the true story behind it all you would see my point. Sorry for the confusion.

If you don't wish to get drawn into a debate about a given topic because you have "insider" info from those involved which you're not willing to post/verify because you've been asked not to or you don't think its appropriate, then as with every other instance where you've hinted at things you should keep them off the net/forums.  I don't see any point in hinting that one might know more than is being revealed by individuals involved but that being privy to such information prevents it from being divulged.

In this instance though you copy and pasted directly from a blog which was out there for anyone to read, and my only gripe was that it wasn't linked so that others could go and read all of it rather than the part of the sentence you felt worthy of copying and pasting.

Where was the rock dry?

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2514 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 03:46:25 pm
I am not going to argue with you.

I'm not arguing, I'm asking that you cite your sources properly, rather than selectively copy and paste because it really is a piece of piss to do so.

If you knew the true story behind it all you would see my point. Sorry for the confusion.

If you don't wish to get drawn into a debate about a given topic because you have "insider" info from those involved which you're not willing to post/verify because you've been asked not to or you don't think its appropriate, then as with every other instance where you've hinted at things you should keep them off the net/forums.  I don't see any point in hinting that one might know more than is being revealed by individuals involved but that being privy to such information prevents it from being divulged.

In this instance though you copy and pasted directly from a blog which was out there for anyone to read, and my only gripe was that it wasn't linked so that others could go and read all of it rather than the part of the sentence you felt worthy of copying and pasting.

Where was the rock dry?

Whatever dude.  :yawn:  Yes i was a very naughty boy for not quoting the full original source,  :spank: Not sure i will sleep tonight. There, happy now?

It was you that forced my hand into saying it went deeper, i was just quoting what i thought might make it clear that the video was a bit petty. You not leaving it alone forced the rest of the issue. Now please, just leave it. Lets just let it all fade away into the giant whole that is the internet.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2515 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 05:43:50 pm

It was you that forced my hand into saying it went deeper,

I forced nothing other than asking that you cite the source of your quote, I didn't ask about the other information you seemed to be forming your opinion around, read the first sentence of this again.

Timeline...

0. You selectively quoted from Chris Webb Parsons blog.

1. I clarified your source for quotes/b] with links and greater context.

2. Of your own volition you cited "friend in Oz who is good friends" as providing more information than Chris Webb Parsons has chosen to put into the public domain.

3. I'm surprised that you had hit the exact text used in the blog from speaking to "friend in Oz who is good friends"

4. You then state that you thought it was clear it came from a blog post and not from your "friend in Oz who is good friends"*

Taking point 2, quite how you think I forced you into saying this I don't know, all I did was link and quote the full blog post which when read suggests that the video is considered to be petty which is not how your post reads despite your assertion...

i was just quoting what i thought might make it clear that the video was a bit petty.

...because you originally wrote....

lthough I was personally hurt by some of the video. I found part of the video to be disrespectful and I know I would never try to do that to someone even if I did not like the person.

These two seem to contradict each other as in the original you are directly insinuating by...

a) selectively quoting from the blog
b) asserting that he's not being that reasonable
c) your own caveat about off the internet

...that Chris Webb Parsons is not taking it as lightly as his full blogpost suggests.  This is why I linked to the full thing, because reading it in full suggests that he's either a) not that bothered and thinks its petty (contrary to what you are insinuating) or b) not willing to make an issue of things on the internet.   Either way I felt that the above selective quote you made was mis-representative of the public side Chris Webb Parsons wished to portray over the issue.

You not leaving it alone forced the rest of the issue.

Again I did not force anything other than asking that you cite the source of your quotes (particularly if you are only going to selectively quote it).

Now please, just leave it. Lets just let it all fade away into the giant whole that is the internet.

You have a bit of a history of hinting/suggesting at details of ascents/goings on from those you are in contact with but not supposed to reveal details of.  By your own admission you've been admonished for doing this in the past (and whilst I've had the time and inclination to write this I don't have either to go and dig up the threads to reference here, but since you admit this is something that has happened in the past there is at least one point on which we agree). 

Oh right, so you take some post on a blog to be the true thinking?

I'm interested in the information that individuals choose to put on their blogs themselves and not gossip from friends of friends (which I can not hope to verify, so it holds less weight than what individuals write on their blogs).  If Chris Webb Parsons didn't want to make an issue of it on the internet (as his full blog post suggests) you shouldn't be hinting that what he has written on his blog isn't the whole truth because perhaps he wishes to keep his private life private.

If you don't wish to add fuel to a fire/start unfounded rumours/betray the trust people place in you then I'd politely suggest you are more circumspect in what you post and not conflate what you have been told in private with what individuals have put in the public domain themselves.

Invariably when such issues arise and you are taken to task you break out the  :yawn: and say lets drop it (I've a vague recollection of you and Sloper having a spat a while back) yet you keep on making the same mistakes.  To try and say your hand was forced, particularly in this instance, is nonsense.  No one is forced to post anything on the internet and I certainly didn't push you to reveal why you had insinuated that Chris was upset, what I did was clarify his publicly stated stance because you had failed to do so.  When people do post and quote then the post should include a link to the source of the quote, its exceptionally simple to do and is a common courtesy to those who you are quoting so that they are not misconstrued.

* If you could let me know where you got your bike from that would be great, I could do with a reverse gear.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2516 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 05:49:44 pm

It was you that forced my hand into saying it went deeper,

I forced nothing other than asking that you cite the source of your quote, I didn't ask about the other information you seemed to be forming your opinion around, read the first sentence of this again.

Timeline...

0. You selectively quoted from Chris Webb Parsons blog.

1. I clarified your source for quotes/b] with links and greater context.

2. Of your own volition you cited "friend in Oz who is good friends" as providing more information than Chris Webb Parsons has chosen to put into the public domain.

3. I'm surprised that you had hit the exact text used in the blog from speaking to "friend in Oz who is good friends"

4. You then state that you thought it was clear it came from a blog post and not from your "friend in Oz who is good friends"*

Taking point 2, quite how you think I forced you into saying this I don't know, all I did was link and quote the full blog post which when read suggests that the video is considered to be petty which is not how your post reads despite your assertion...

i was just quoting what i thought might make it clear that the video was a bit petty.

...because you originally wrote....

lthough I was personally hurt by some of the video. I found part of the video to be disrespectful and I know I would never try to do that to someone even if I did not like the person.

These two seem to contradict each other as in the original you are directly insinuating by...

a) selectively quoting from the blog
b) asserting that he's not being that reasonable
c) your own caveat about off the internet

...that Chris Webb Parsons is not taking it as lightly as his full blogpost suggests.  This is why I linked to the full thing, because reading it in full suggests that he's either a) not that bothered and thinks its petty (contrary to what you are insinuating) or b) not willing to make an issue of things on the internet.   Either way I felt that the above selective quote you made was mis-representative of the public side Chris Webb Parsons wished to portray over the issue.

You not leaving it alone forced the rest of the issue.

Again I did not force anything other than asking that you cite the source of your quotes (particularly if you are only going to selectively quote it).

Now please, just leave it. Lets just let it all fade away into the giant whole that is the internet.

You have a bit of a history of hinting/suggesting at details of ascents/goings on from those you are in contact with but not supposed to reveal details of.  By your own admission you've been admonished for doing this in the past (and whilst I've had the time and inclination to write this I don't have either to go and dig up the threads to reference here, but since you admit this is something that has happened in the past there is at least one point on which we agree). 

Oh right, so you take some post on a blog to be the true thinking?

I'm interested in the information that individuals choose to put on their blogs themselves and not gossip from friends of friends (which I can not hope to verify, so it holds less weight than what individuals write on their blogs).  If Chris Webb Parsons didn't want to make an issue of it on the internet (as his full blog post suggests) you shouldn't be hinting that what he has written on his blog isn't the whole truth because perhaps he wishes to keep his private life private.

If you don't wish to add fuel to a fire/start unfounded rumours/betray the trust people place in you then I'd politely suggest you are more circumspect in what you post and not conflate what you have been told in private with what individuals have put in the public domain themselves.

Invariably when such issues arise and you are taken to task you break out the  :yawn: and say lets drop it (I've a vague recollection of you and Sloper having a spat a while back) yet you keep on making the same mistakes.  To try and say your hand was forced, particularly in this instance, is nonsense.  No one is forced to post anything on the internet and I certainly didn't push you to reveal why you had insinuated that Chris was upset, what I did was clarify his publicly stated stance because you had failed to do so.  When people do post and quote then the post should include a link to the source of the quote, its exceptionally simple to do and is a common courtesy to those who you are quoting so that they are not misconstrued.

* If you could let me know where you got your bike from that would be great, I could do with a reverse gear.

Wow, someone has more time to burn than me. As you can tell by my quick reply, i didn't bother to read it.  :)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2517 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 05:54:07 pm
As you can tell by my quick reply, i didn't bother to read it.  :)

And you'll keep on making the same stupid mistakes.  :wank:

north_country_boy

• junky
#2518 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 05:55:52 pm
Another example that Americans can't do comedy!

Really?

( Sorry :off: )

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2519 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 05:58:51 pm
As you can tell by my quick reply, i didn't bother to read it.  :)

And you'll keep on making the same stupid mistakes.  :wank:

Awww diddums. Did not reading that essay hurt someone's feelings. (I'll let you into a secret, i did skim read it)  :lol:

cofe

• forum hero
#2520 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 06:02:43 pm
Get a room you two. Some of us have to wade through this shit.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2521 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 06:59:13 pm
Get a room you two. Some of us have to wade through this shit.

Indeed.  :lol:

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
#2522 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 10:37:21 pm

Oh and by the way Neil, yes, am bored and had time to read through your post. I never said the text that i posted in italics was what i heard from a friend. (The stuff i heard from a friend was separate to this) (I assumed this was obvious from my post, obviously not) It should also have been obvious it was from his blog because of the italics. (My bad i didn't post a link, Ooops)

Paul B

• forum hero
#2523 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 07, 2010, 11:59:51 pm
Another example that Americans can't do comedy! Seems like an easy way to publically rip into someone.  And its obviously more deep rooted than someone getting a grade wrong!

I know rain can drive you mad on a trip but really, how many times does it have to be proved that public attacks such as this aren't a good idea they just make you look like a twat?

Anyway, the grades are out in Switzerland of all places? Whatever next  :wank:.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#2524 Re: Quality Bouldering Videos (part I)
December 08, 2010, 01:47:36 am
I'm sure its been said before but it aint about the grade.

Some of the comments here (if they aren't deleted) should give you an idea where it comes from. (If it wasn't clear enough from Adams post!).

http://www.videoclimb.com/2010/12/06/the-greatest-flasher/#comments

If you think the vid is as  :wank: as I do then give it a low vote.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal