UKBouldering.com

Home walls (Read 3909 times)

batfink

Home walls
May 04, 2005, 02:21:21 pm
What are people's opinion on the best best design for a home wall?  I'm planning ahead here for next winter's world domination, so could do with some top tips.

Assuming a cellar, garage or (large) spare room is available for building in, about 6-8 feet high which, if any, of the following are any good.

Flat angled panels 30-50 degrees
Variable angle panel
Stepped boards (roof into headwall)
Stepped boards (like the underside of a staircase)
Barrels
Sytem board
etc. etc.

What are the pros and cons of each?

Advice greatly received.
Cheers.

dave

#1 Home walls
May 04, 2005, 02:47:07 pm
very small kickboard, 45degree board. Its all pros, and no cons - maximum wallspace for the given height whilst it still being specific to real climbing, and a good angle for combining finger and stamina work. any steeper and downclimbing on circuits is tricky. peice of piss to build also.

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#2 Home walls
May 04, 2005, 07:57:01 pm
I considered various options. If your room is large enough then two different angles flat panelled wall (25deg and 45/50deg) would give you variety and give the opportunity to work more on finger strength and openhand strength.  

As my room only allowed for a wall 7ft wide by 10ft long I went for a single 45deg panel. It has made big differences to my strength and body tension.

Dont make the foot board too small (min 20cm) or you will find it too cramped.

Use screw ons only for feet, i.e. dont put any holes in the foot board or bottom 2 ft of the board.

dave

#3 Home walls
May 04, 2005, 10:57:11 pm
I would say 20cm kickboard at the very most and even than its going to be massive - better smaller or not at all. The bigger the kickboard the longer your feet will be on it, thus it makes your board effectivley an easier angle while you're on it. It takes self-discipline then to not just keep your feet on it as long as possible before making a proper move - wack.  also use exceptionally poor footholds on a kickboard. Most of me best problems on my board are on the foothold set with non on the kicboard.

Mr.Burns

• stalker
#4 Home walls
May 05, 2005, 09:57:28 pm
Yeah what they said,especially on a small wall. kickboard, flat pannels and about 45 degrees. You can't go wrong!!

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#5 Home walls
May 09, 2005, 01:39:31 pm
for those with little room / an unsympathetic landlord, somebody posted this link on ukclimbing:

http://adackclimbs.com/bouldering_wall/bouldering_wall.htm

supposedly folds down to a svelte 4'x4' package.  Not sure whether to laugh or run down to B&Q .

Scouse D

• forum hero
#6 Home walls
May 09, 2005, 04:06:45 pm
I'll laugh for you. Hahaha

BoulderHog

• addict
#7 Home walls
May 09, 2005, 05:14:40 pm
I'm curious as to why there are carabiners and bolts on that wall, maybe in case he climbs that bit too high and gets pumped? After all, a fall from the top must be what, nearly 3 feet.

I'll laugh for you. Hahaha

I second that

Paz

• junky
#8 Home walls
May 09, 2005, 06:25:55 pm
Quote from: "BoulderHog"
I'm curious as to why there are carabiners and bolts on that wall

So you can train hard clips.  but anyway, hahahaha

batfink

#9 Home walls
May 12, 2005, 08:47:14 am
supposedly folds down to a svelte 4'x4' package.  Not sure whether to laugh or run down to B&Q .

Looks a bit big for training for Peak limestone!!! :D

bigphil

• menacing presence
#10 Home walls
May 22, 2005, 10:02:54 am
My wall is bolted to the underside of the roof in my attic.  Its 11'x11' so is well big but its too steep at about 54 degrees.  Its good for larger holds and powerful stuff but not for fingers.  I want to change it but the missus is wanting to convert the whole room into a bedroom, so I might be moving it to the cellar.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal