UKBouldering.com

Sandpaper (Read 2322 times)

(woz)

• forum abuser
Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 10:29:01 am
I've heard about people using sandpaper to stop flappers and splits, and for when skin builds up around joints, but how should i go about doing this? sorry if this is a stupid question. Does it work as well as keeping your tips tidy with nailclippers?
Also, what grade of paper is best?
thanks,
dan

JR

• forum abuser
#1 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 10:34:13 am
i use it to smooth down rogue skin or once they are split so that they heal quicker.  Ive got a block i made using soe medium wet and dry and a sponge.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 10:34:34 am
I use nail clippers and just any old nail file nicked off the missus.

dave

#3 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 10:54:31 am
just use trial and error, see what works best for you - everyone skin is different, mine more so than usual.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 11:16:53 am
I prefer medium grade sheets of glass paper, the best being the textile backed type. Cheap and disposable so you don't have to keep using the same tired old strip. I find blocks and emery boards clog up and wear out too quick. Some people (gaylords) seem to like the real fine grained paper, I find this stuff takes forever and leaves you with shiny polished tips.
 I never sand much in winter as the grit does a good job on it's own. However lots of crimpy limestone stuff tends to wear my tips out just above the first joint, whilst the lack of rough slopers means the skin just below gets thick, bingo you get splitters at the joint. The sanding is to get rid of the excess thickness and smooth any rough snags/peelers.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#5 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 01:37:29 pm
cheers guys,

i'll give it a go. Hopefully with that and my new antihydral cream i'll be able to climb forever without getting a split  :smokin:
dan

dave

#6 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 02:08:26 pm
warning - the antrihydral dries your skin si if you are prone to dry/cracking skin then be careful - who was it who said westie used it load and got a papercut that took a fortnight to heel???

(woz)

• forum abuser
#7 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 02:29:43 pm
My hands are greasier than...well, i'll leave that to your imagination. so i should be fine i think. thanks for the warning tho.
dan

a dense loner

• forum hero
#8 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 03:33:00 pm
it was me who said westie had a papercut, but i also said it took 3 wks to heal. i found the cream to be quite shit, fingers solid but like glass, but it may do the job for lime or granite

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#9 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 09:31:34 pm
westie still swears by his stump ream and I still use it on my left hand from time to time.
Sandpaper - I use a sponge block that can be bought from any hardware store for around a quid, it has different grades of sandpaper on each side so is quite good. use it to flaten any skin that starts to roll back to flaten it so it doesn't pull any more back

a dense loner

• forum hero
#10 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 09:57:00 pm
if westie was told that holding bull's testicles for 10 minutes gives you good skin he'd be down the slaughterhouse now

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#11 Sandpaper
April 26, 2005, 09:58:54 pm
really, i better get down the slaughter houe first thing then. my skin is shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal