UKBouldering.com

Rubicon conditions reports (Read 333574 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#300 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
October 26, 2008, 07:42:38 pm
Mint today - if you can get to the rocks. All routes/boulders dry, but crag fully flooded. Worse I would say than has been all summer. Only two routes climbable above a dry floor - Zeke and Sissy (if you want to be pedantic, there is that thing zips bolted left again, but I dont even know what thats called). Usually the flooding doesnt cover the ground by kudos wall, but it does today. 3 to 4 inches there. Nearly welly top on way in/out.

I know it rained a lot last night, but I cant help but start to wonder whether some of its nearly perma flooding is down to either deliberate or bad management of the sluice gate. And I know these last few years have been more rainy than most, but fuck me - I've never known it flood like this. Whose responsibility do you suppose the sluice is?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#301 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
October 26, 2008, 08:10:53 pm
Whose responsibility do you suppose the sluice is?
The gamekeepers? I've always thought that the current high setting on the sluice was done as retaliation for the time a certain climber took things into his own hands and pretty much emptied the lake...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#302 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
October 27, 2008, 08:23:38 am
....that person sounds like a choad.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#303 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
October 27, 2008, 02:27:07 pm
Google ads at the top of this page...

Climbing Singles
View Photo Profiles. Join Free. Local Singles into Rock Climbing.
www.Fitness-Singles.com

and

Flood Management Event
The Pitt Review legislative changes future of flood management Nov 08.

:lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#304 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
October 27, 2008, 02:53:22 pm
now

The Future of Flood Management

Delivering a framework for successful flood risk management

Tuesday 4th November 2008, Earls Court Exhibition Centre.

Sounds like a right bundle of fun.

abarro81

• forum hero
#305 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
November 02, 2008, 06:59:39 pm
Not flooded today - kudos wall dry and the ground below it was dry enough too (we didn't have a tarp for the pads and were ok). Ground beneath the warm up/traverses area was really muddy with a few big puddles.

Tim Broughtonshaw

• obsessive maniac
#306 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
November 24, 2008, 11:11:48 am
any updated rubicon conditions? might be out there at the weekend and interested in the state of the lake and the kudos wall.

cheers
Tim

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#307 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
November 25, 2008, 01:08:27 pm
Apparently mint and totally dry Sunday according to the Klemmow.

Ted - he took your sign down. I wanted to deface it and pin it up in the foundry but it was quickly confiscated when I made my intentions clear.

Kingy

• forum hero
#308 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
November 25, 2008, 01:47:01 pm
Ted - he took your sign down. I wanted to deface it and pin it up in the foundry but it was quickly confiscated when I made my intentions clear.

Nice work cheers! That dratted thing had been in situ for weeks, looks like I narrowly escaped Foundry embarrassment!

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#309 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 20, 2008, 08:21:11 am
anyone been here recently? I know its prolly sacrilige when the grits in such good nick, but anyone been recently?

Mummra

#310 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
December 28, 2008, 04:59:29 pm
Kudos wall is in pristine condition :thumbsup: The lake is not up to the wall. Zeke has some seepage but Sissy looks dry, Caviar is dry. 28/12/08

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#311 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 08, 2009, 02:33:36 pm
Update? Caviar and Hot Fun?

Paul B

• forum hero
#312 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 08, 2009, 11:35:52 pm
Adam, HFC is like a ball and chain weighing on my mind at the moment, please, if you're heading the way and keen, I have the numbers on all of it and desperately need a willing sole to hold my rope.

SteG

• addict
  • crimp
    • TheSend-Topo Apps
#313 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 09, 2009, 11:38:32 am
maybe a little old, but Caviar was seeping badly last weekend although hot fun was all dry, as was the rest of Kudos wall. Sissy dry, Zeke had some wet streaks. The Lake was down and path mostly dry.

Paul, myself and Mummra will be in attendance the weekend after this if you need a rope holding or maybe he'll be keen for some Kudos action this w/e - PM him if you want to get it done.

Paul B

• forum hero
#314 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 09, 2009, 11:46:19 am
promised I'd try and head elsewhere this weekend. Thanks for the offer.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#315 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 09, 2009, 12:20:33 pm
Adam, HFC is like a ball and chain weighing on my mind at the moment, please, if you're heading the way and keen, I have the numbers on all of it and desperately need a willing sole to hold my rope.

Unfortunately Paul, i am all too well familiar with the moves. Silly mistakes on redpoint have halted me ticking the route! I blame conditions though.  ::) I'll let you know when i head down.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#316 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 12, 2009, 08:06:25 am
Early Saturday morning Rubicon was mostly dry and pretty much mint. If only I hadn't still been in agony from my first training session of the new year (and therefore climbing like a tit) I would have been able to take advantage of the -3.5 degree temps and dry grippy rock. The lake was quite low, muddy under the traverses (but it was frozen so no problem), a bit of dampness in some of the big pockets on the warm ups but apart from that dry. Sissy dry, wet streak on Zeke but looked ok, Kudos Wall MINT & HFC dry. The only thing that looked unclimbable was Caviar / Beluga which had icicles hanging off it.

I was even more surprised to find Crag X in perfect condition. There was the odd patch of dampness but not affecting any holds. My frustration was then complete as after "warming up" at Rubicon I was unable to even contemplate pulling on any of the holds there.

:furious:

T_B

• forum hero
#317 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 12, 2009, 08:29:45 am
Early Saturday morning Rubicon was mostly dry and pretty much mint. If only I hadn't still been in agony from my first training session of the new year (and therefore climbing like a tit) I would have been able to take advantage of the -3.5 degree temps and dry grippy rock. The lake was quite low, muddy under the traverses (but it was frozen so no problem), a bit of dampness in some of the big pockets on the warm ups but apart from that dry. Sissy dry, wet streak on Zeke but looked ok, Kudos Wall MINT & HFC dry. The only thing that looked unclimbable was Caviar / Beluga which had icicles hanging off it.

I was even more surprised to find Crag X in perfect condition. There was the odd patch of dampness but not affecting any holds. My frustration was then complete as after "warming up" at Rubicon I was unable to even contemplate pulling on any of the holds there.

:furious:

I have to say I was suprised to find myself at Rubicon yesterday (Sunday) but can concur that the Kudos Wall was in decent condition, but the warming up area damp. We had a look at Crag X but it was totally unclimable. What a difference a day makes...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#318 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 12, 2009, 09:16:13 am
Bastard. Not surprising though as all that frost had to go somewhere when the temperature rose.

Paul B

• forum hero
#319 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 16, 2009, 11:46:15 am
Today Rubicon was in a right state, there's big run off lines above Hot Fun leading all the way onto Kudos wall. Caviar, the sissy - the bastard, all wet. Warm up area wet.

That place we do not mention: Gopping.

>:(

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#320 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 16, 2009, 12:15:59 pm
Bah!

To be fair judging by yesterday's performance at The Works I still need about five training sessions before I consider trying anything outside. The Christmas period has robbed me of the little power that I had.

Mummra

#321 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 16, 2009, 11:49:48 pm
Bollocks! :furious: Looks like Broughton then..... :goodidea:

Mummra

#322 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 17, 2009, 08:26:45 pm
all mint today except for a tiny bit of seepage on Caviar.
if i'm being really picky it was even a little too warm in the sun  :boohoo:

Eddies

• forum hero
#323 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 19, 2009, 12:20:19 pm
http://www.cragx.co.uk/webcam/images.php

Not the greatest web-cam but might be of use to people thinking of traveling in from Sheffield etc.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#324 Re: Rubicon conditions reports
January 19, 2009, 12:39:54 pm
http://www.cragx.co.uk/webcam/images.php

Not the greatest web-cam but might be of use to people thinking of traveling in from Sheffield etc.

Got a 404 on that URL

The Outside WebCam in Hathersage may be useful too.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal