UKBouldering.com

Raven Tor conditions reports (Read 498868 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#200 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 16, 2007, 12:21:15 pm
Monolithic one, I am troubled that you have gone to the trouble of sourcing a phone. I have grave doubts about this idea. My first doubt is that the phone will not have signal from the pocket at the end of powerband. If it doesnt have signal then it cant be rung and what therefore is the point of it being there? Even if you put it somewhere else and some toad doesnt steal it then it will run out of charge - fair enough, thats what your car charger is for, but when you arrive and put it on charge in the car, you wont hear it ring so it will once more be useless until its charged and back in position at the crag... None of the networks have enough signal for it to be viable? (I have an old o2 payg sim you can have).

Elimanates aside, I take it that s-t-a-m-i-n-a-b-a-n-d is w-e-t?

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#201 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 16, 2007, 12:33:01 pm
y-e-s.

most of it was damp but possibly dryable, but the first two higher pockets on powerband were sopping.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#202 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 18, 2007, 08:39:13 am
Ain't no trouble. Just having a clearout and found an old samsung piece of shit. It'll only go on ebay for coppers otherwise.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#203 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 18, 2007, 09:03:41 pm
good news tor fans. Well, good ish. Power band is completely climbable and stamina band is a bit clammy around the undercuts but again, climbable with a bit of love and attention first. The undercuts to sloper area is suprisingly dry, pinches wall is dry, weedkiller very isnt, bens roof was fine.

Holds feel a bit toothpastey from where people have crammed chalk into them when theyhave been damp, but generally speaking - not bad.

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#204 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 18, 2007, 10:07:08 pm
Holds feel a bit toothpastey from where people have crammed chalk into them when theyhave been damp,

I wish people would not do this, it turns a hold that's usable with a bit of wiping off into a hole full of paste that you have to scrape out with a stick. Use a bit of chalk to dry things off, cake the stuff on to absorb moisture if you need to, but get rid of it afterwards rather than leaving it to the next person.

cofe

• forum hero
#205 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 18, 2007, 10:30:42 pm
as dobbo says it wasn't too bad. it is worth noting there was a fair amount of water pissing/dripping out of various bits though, mainly on the routes.

dave

#206 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 19, 2007, 10:56:38 pm
tick all the boxes for shite conditions tonight. warm - tick. humid - tick. damp holds - tick. powerband was just about climbable, bens roof OK, weedkiller boarderline. the up problems were generally ok but the air of claggyness made even the bone dry stuff feel damp.

dave

#207 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 24, 2007, 01:51:18 pm
presumably some honkies been of late. conditions et cetera?

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#208 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 24, 2007, 01:56:19 pm
I would have thought with this strange bright stuff pouring out of the sky, combined with a breeze, something will be dry tonight.  Apart from Gloucestershire obviously.

dave

#209 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 24, 2007, 02:08:32 pm
well you'd think so, but this is the tor we're talking about, and she's been pretty temperamental of late. not to mention most of the holds i'm bothered about don't get the sun.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#210 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 24, 2007, 08:51:30 pm
What are you on about Dave? the holds on the warm up traverse under sardine are in the sun all day.

I will be going tomorrow unless Gloucester offloads its excess torwards. In which case I shall not.

dave

#211 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 25, 2007, 08:36:32 am
whatever muthafukka, i was of course talking about 15-16-19-7-14.

word was ok last night. the only really wet holds were the R&H pocket jug, some holds on staminaband were soapy in the back, and every hold on bens traverse. was sunny but quite cool on pinches wall with the shade etc. hoever with todays rain that might have been short-lived.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#212 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 26, 2007, 09:41:36 pm
well, I went last night and it was royally shite. Stamina band damp footholds and fully wet undercuts, powerband slots dripping, getting worse towards the end of the problem. The whole right hand side appears to have taken on a new minging green hue. It certainly doesnt add to the ambience. Pinches dry, weedkiller damp, ben's roof - damp.

dave

#213 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 27, 2007, 11:30:54 pm
tor ok today. powerband fine, most up problems ok. didn't look at much else to be honest. undercuts on staminaband a bit damp.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#214 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 29, 2007, 11:07:32 am
was good yesterday (28th) too. Very good in fact.

dave

#215 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
July 30, 2007, 08:55:00 am
everything was bone dry last night, with the obvious exception of ben's traverse.

andy_e

• forum hero
#216 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
August 16, 2007, 11:29:59 pm
Top notch today  :thumbsup:

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#217 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
August 17, 2007, 12:54:02 pm
Have you a smeggy humid deluge Sheffield way today like the Wirral has? Tomorrow's a distinct possibility if not.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#218 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
August 17, 2007, 05:06:16 pm
Nope. Has been pretty dry on the lime today.

dave

#219 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
August 20, 2007, 08:51:18 am
yesterday: total garbage, only pinches wall and saline drip were dry. (routes on the left looked OK).

(woz)

• forum abuser
#220 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
August 20, 2007, 09:37:28 am
No, you must be mistaken. It stayed dry under the "Raven Tor Tree" in my garden all day.

Just when I thought I had begun to understand her she goes and does this. Bitch.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#221 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
August 22, 2007, 10:36:11 am
I had a quick look on Monday morning and it was all rather clagridden. I sent spies last night and they report 'it looked ok' but thats no good. Clearly, you need to pull on the sloppy pockets to get a proper impression of conditions.

In two minds whether to go to the board tonight instead.

dave

#222 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
August 22, 2007, 11:21:00 am
well put it this way last night on the grit even in the blowing wind is was very humid, apparently burbage north was midge-death city. the wind direction, mist and humidity don't bode well for the tor i fear. condensation etc? you never know, could be amazing though!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#223 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
September 06, 2007, 08:06:41 am
I went to the Tor yesterday evening for the first time since about 1993. It was all dry as a bone and conditions were very good. The muggy heat in Sheffield was replaced with clear skies and a nice breeze which left the rock in perfect nick. I was there from 5 til 7 and the conditions would have been even better in the last hour before darkness but I was fucked so I went home.

Had the place to myself apart from two parties swinging about on ropes at the other end of the crag.

The only problem was that someone seems to have made all the holds on Powerband smaller and moved them further apart. Today I feel like I've had a kicking and someone's stamped on my fingers.

james

• obsessive maniac
#224 Re: Raven Tor conditions reports
September 06, 2007, 07:34:40 pm
there this morn and was very muggy and spoogy in some pockets.  Not ideal!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal