UKBouldering.com

tor conditions today (Read 5358 times)

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:12:49 pm
I know it's a bit lazy but has anyone been to or going to Tor today. Weather is appaling where I am and can't face turning up to a wet crag having already driven 1000miles in the past week and a half. I know it was pretty good on Tuesday but with weather like this who knows.

How's about a conditions forum or web link where people can text a UK bouldering adminisatrator by text and get as accurate a view as poss on conditions for those yet to go out. Shame we can't have web cams and humidty meters at each crag beaming back usefull info. Just think of the petrol you could save. Maybe ther's money to be made?

Andy

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:22:49 pm
Which Tor?

Be a nice day for the Dartmoor ones.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#2 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:25:34 pm
Mam Tor, no Raven Tor, wherever Sardine is.

dave

#3 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:27:10 pm
I had thought about starting a couple of sticky threads for the tor and cragx where theres no discussions or anything, just whenever anyone was been they can stick a post on saying what the condition is, that way if you wanna know the most recent nick then look at the last post. Of course that system relies on people posting each time they've been. Do we think its a good idea?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#4 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:41:41 pm
Wouldn't hurt to try I guess, worth a try. Not sure about including cragx though, what with the sensitive access, a good conditions posting might prompt multiple parties to all turn up on the same day. How about the Tor, Rubicon, Parisella's, Bowderstone, I spose grit conditions change too rapidly for a thread to be useful.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#5 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:42:19 pm
Dave,  My phone says I can send e.mail so could I send it to an address where it would auto post? This would make it v.easy for people but not sure if it's expensive. Andy

Ru

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:47:10 pm
Went yesterday am. Bit wetter than at weekend, and a little greasy but otherwise ok. All powerband/staminaband was dry, weedkiller had a few damp slots, ben's roof dry, evolution top dry still some wetness under the roof, esp that sidepull with the spike for your heel on it.

dave

#7 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 01:51:55 pm
I'm sure theres some way of getting that to work arthur, but i've got no idea of the technicalities of it or how do-able it is - I think thats bubba's bag.

I don't think it'd be a problem having cragx on, afterall even if we had daily reports of the condition theres still nothing there under 7a+ so its not going to be crowded with the masses. And lets face it, if there was 100 people there as long as they stay by the crag and don't go lighting fires or bringing in sound systems then i can't see it being any more noticable than when theres 1 person there. Anyway theres no-where to park for more than about 4 cars.

I suggest the tor, crag x and rubicon. I would have thought the wetness of places like bowderstone and parisellas was more of a predicable seasonal/weather thing, rather than a drastic day-by-day-hour-by-hour thing like the above.

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#8 inspired
April 14, 2005, 02:05:13 pm
Well you've now inspired me to make the drive out. Well done. Agree with Dave that Rubicon, Raven Tor, Crag X would be a good starter and see how things go. Let's see what technicalities Bubba can suggest for getting info on web quick.

Maybe it would require people not posting if they were there same day and their report was identical to previous, unless things crapped out and they knew better. If we can get Keith Shapholds in on the game we probably needn't ever turn up to bad conditions ever again as he's always the 1st there.

dave

#9 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 02:19:33 pm
every time i've been there this year scut&co have been there. I even stayed late one day to see if they actually leave of an evening.

People should still post on the threads even if the nick is the same as the last post, cos that way people can be sure its an uptodate report.

Heres a thought, if anyone has got an old pay-as-you-go phone it could be left at the crag in a plasic bag say on the ledge below sardine, and if you want conditions reports you just phone it and whoever is nearest answers it. could be kept charged by someone sticking it into thier car fag ligher socket every few days. word? dial 07900 TORCONDITIONS.

fuck i'm psyched now for the tor again. Damn it - take it from me don't buy italian motors. Can't build cars, can't fight wars.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#10 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 02:21:49 pm
Where were you boys Tuesday, half of UKB were at the crag?!

dave

#11 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 02:45:23 pm
have started some threads in the "places to visit" part, UK & Eire. bubba will have to make them sticky, i don't seem to got the steez.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#12 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 02:48:52 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Where were you boys Tuesday, half of UKB were at the crag?!

Yeah. The bad half... :wink:  :roll:

dave

#13 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 02:52:34 pm
the good half were at baslow, i.e. me.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#14 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 02:55:30 pm
Quote from: "dave"
the gay half were at baslow, i.e. me.

Fair enough.

The winners went to Stanage.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#15 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 02:56:15 pm
I meant half as in number of people, not number of posts :roll:

cofe

• forum hero
#16 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 03:12:08 pm
we're not bloody clairvoyants y'know jon. HELLO. HELLOOOOOO.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#17 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 03:22:54 pm
Yes but you are Claire Raynor!

cofe

• forum hero
#18 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 03:26:29 pm
that's before i starting having a sirloin shake for breakfast. one for lunch and a delicious fillet for me tea.

no one wonder the hair has so much BODY.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#19 tor conditions today
April 14, 2005, 03:45:52 pm
Claire in action

Andy Harris

• obsessive maniac
#20 Tor Conditions Thursday 14th April
April 15, 2005, 11:42:48 am
Report from last night as promised.

A little wetter than earlier in the week but worth the trip. Pretty cold and good nick in general.

Pinches wall and rightwards all OK. Powerband area a smidge greasy but still fine.

Weedkiller trav & bens roof dry as were central routes.

Evolution leftwards wet at lip.

Revalations climbable.

See you saturday.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#21 tor conditions today
April 17, 2005, 10:46:09 am
Heres a thought, if anyone has got an old pay-as-you-go phone it could be left at the crag in a plasic bag say on the ledge below sardine, and if you want conditions reports you just phone it and whoever is nearest answers it. could be kept charged by someone sticking it into thier car fag ligher socket every few days. word? dial 07900 TORCONDITIONS.

genius idea. though put it somewhere useful, like on that ledge left of the crimp on wss.

A few years ago I was walking down to Porth Ceriad when the yellow 'emergency only' telephone rang. Thinking there might be an emergency, I answered it.

Stoned voice: "hey dude, are there any waves???" (sound of someone coughing over a bong)

Me: "yeah man, four to six foot and clean, you wanna get down here..."

Stoner: "sweeeeeeeet. cough"

Obviously it was more like 4 to 6 inches, and dirty. Fuckin plum.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal