UKBouldering.com

june to september (Read 6369 times)

bondosan

june to september
April 06, 2005, 09:15:54 am
Can anyone recommend a bouldering venue abroad that isn't too hot between june and september ? Id really like to go to bishop, maybe september but not sure if it ll still be roasting. Also like to go to cresiano but i saw a post recomending winter only.

cheers

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 june to september
April 06, 2005, 11:54:04 am
Along the same lines, I'm gonna be in California in early September, from what I've read Joshua Tree is going to be unbearable, anywhere else that isn't such a desert? Shaded? or should I just stick to the watersports.  :8)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 june to september
April 06, 2005, 12:17:54 pm
Places like Heaven boulders and Druid Stones are cooler than Buttermilks and Tableland, but will still be hot at midday I reckon. Mick Ryan was going on about some place that was being developed up near Mammoth Lakes (about 45 mins away) but I can't remember the details. Catacombs seemed to stay a lot cooler than other places too; some of the boulders still had snow patches under them. There may still be some pics in Mick's Gallery on UKC of the Mammoth Lakes boulders.

Where is the spot they go to in the Mountains in Dosage? that looks coolish.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#3 june to september
April 06, 2005, 12:34:56 pm
rocky mountain national park?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#4 june to september
April 06, 2005, 01:09:28 pm
Where is the spot they go to in the Mountains in Dosage? that looks coolish.

You mean this bit?

I thought It was the Blue Ice area in Austria (not Germany, despite what it says in Dosage). Somewhere on the mountain called Untersberg which is south of Salzburg. I lived in Slazburg for 3 months and kept meaning to go but never got round to it. Curses.

...but apparently it is in Germany, just found these pics on udini, which are labelled blau eis:

udini gallery

Which now makes me wonder what the bouldering on Untersberg was. Anyone know? Maybe the Maltatal.

Just found a topo on Udini of the Blue Ice and Maltatal areas:Blue Ice topo

dave

#5 june to september
April 06, 2005, 01:20:42 pm
squamish is recconed to be good in summer. I'm going in june and supposedly thats a good time providing it don't rain. theres also supposed to be all kinds of other stuff through the canadian rockies that i'm going to try and find some of.

Last summer went to austria in june and there was some dope stuff in the zillertal area, and all kinds of stuff in the area south of saltzburg (i.e. further south of blue ice whihc is actually in germany, bechtersgarden (sp?)) like the schwiger brothers places etc, and also some alright stuff at Felbertauren, i even had a jumper on climbing there. Plus theres also all klems places in the maltatal valley which is just on the south of the main bulk of the alps in the northwest bit of the carinthian region. thats about 2-3 hours drive south of saltzburg. thats still hot in summer though but is a dope place.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#6 june to september
April 06, 2005, 03:32:47 pm
Quote from: "Obi-Wan is lost..."
or should I just stick to the watersports.  :8)

You could combine watersports and bouldering? Santa Barbara area has some good spots, and you could surf in the heat of the day. Castle Rock(s) is not too far from Santa Cruz, and North of ST there are some good looking spots; Mickey's Beach, Lost Rocks (see the Chris Sharma Metolius Ad) and if you find yourself in Eureka, California (so I took off on my bicycle) there are some apparently good spots on the beach that don't get too hot (featured briefly in Rampage) Water gets cold though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#7 june to september
April 06, 2005, 03:34:09 pm
Quote from: "saltbeef"
rocky mountain national park?

Not sure if there is enough there to justify a trip. The rest of Colorado spots get the heat just like most of the US.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#8 june to september
April 06, 2005, 04:47:44 pm
Quote from: "SA Chris"
Santa Barbara area has some good spots, and you could surf in the heat of the day.
That sounds sweet Chris, we'll be based in Santa Barbara, abusing the hospitality of some rich uncle of Mrs Obi  :8)  :8)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#9 june to september
April 06, 2005, 05:08:13 pm

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47858008&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1&color=&img=/media/718545_9996Lrg.jpg&view=large

I think the word "set" may apply there  :8)

I haven't been myself, but I think Falling Down/Ben was talking about it, may be worth getting in touch. Mavericks isn't too far away, Half Moon Bay?  :crazy

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#10 june to september
April 06, 2005, 11:51:36 pm
You could always come to Sydney, June to September being our winter/early spring. Its when we finally get sub 20 deg temperatures and many days of 14-18 with blue skies all round.

Loads of quality bouldering, great city action,ok- expensive long plane ride but dirt cheap (with your english pounds conversion) when you get here.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 june to september
April 07, 2005, 12:02:23 am
Quote from: "SA Chris"
I think the word "set" may apply there  :8)

I haven't been myself, but I think Falling Down/Ben was talking about it, may be worth getting in touch. Mavericks isn't too far away, Half Moon Bay?  :crazy

Forget dat desert island shizzle, that's what I call a honeymoon!  :D

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#12 june to september
April 07, 2005, 08:09:26 am
Rocklands is good that time of year (at least until the end of August).

Plus, you have the added advantage of Elands Bay about an hour away (see Endless Summer 2 for footage).

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#13 june to september
April 07, 2005, 09:27:23 am
Quote from: "Obi-Wan is lost..."
Along the same lines, I'm gonna be in California in early September, from what I've read Joshua Tree is going to be unbearable, anywhere else that isn't such a desert? Shaded? or should I just stick to the watersports.  :8)

Obi Wan.. I was in Bishop in October - cool enough at the 'milks in the mornings but it was very hot at midday.  I didn't make any of the bouldering around Santa Barbara, ( but Percy has been I think he wrote some of the guide) as I was up in Santa Cruz and had a couple of days at Castle Rock but I was in shorts in January and it's slopey sandstone so I think it'll be too hot.

September is supposed to be good Yosemite time for routes and morning bouldering, you could do a week there and then head to the coast, the surfing in the Santa Barbara district is great - not crowded as it's away from the Bay Area and Hell A - do yourself a favour and get a board shaped in advance to bring home with you- I got one done out in Hawaii (a 6'6 single fin egg).

I'm off to San Francisco & Bakersfield in the morning for a week - no climbing or surfing tho' - just work :-( Still at least it'll be sunny.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#14 june to september
April 10, 2005, 06:18:03 pm
Went to check out Santa Barbara bouldering after severly fucking myself up in the valley. We were there at Easter, and the access roads were still shut 'cos of snow, etc. The areas look very good, and are very high up so will be good for summer action, but we didn't climb so I can't vouch for the quality or extent of the blocs. However, I have a copy of the Ocean's 11 guide and it does all look awesome from the photos so you'd be well advised to check it out. The guide is avaliable from the climbing shop on the main street in Santa Barbara.

No, I wasn't involved in the writing of the guide! No, I never even pulled on as I had 5 bust ribs and bleeding kidneys! Yes, it does merit a visit - I know I'll be back next time I visit the west coast.

Black Mountain (east of LA, near Joshua Tree) should be very nice during the summer months, as will the Tramway - although finding the blocks can be tricky! Best to go with a local.

guppy

#15 june to september
April 18, 2005, 12:43:07 pm
:8) Download Bishop Bouldering Secrets from Rockfax for info about some of the higher summer areas, get hold of a copy of Mammouth Area Rock climbs and visit Deadmans Summit, Ricks Rocks, Bachar Boulders...etc..all around 8/9000ft and reasonable in summer...most have perfect  landings and are close to the main highway
Guppy

SA Chris

• forum hero
#16 june to september
April 18, 2005, 05:25:39 pm
Sherman Plateau is in that area too. Catacombs, Royston Vasey etc look really good and more extensive than Deadmans', Bachar etc.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#17 june to september
April 20, 2005, 07:50:46 pm
Back to Europe briefly and Magic Wood is a cool venue to go over summer, could be fairly cheap too. If you do fancy a swiss excursion check out Sustenpass too - not as good but ok for variety.

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#18 june to september
April 23, 2005, 03:11:15 am
This site seems quite good. Click on an area an it tells you what months are best...

Alps boulder

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal