UKBouldering.com

komputers (Read 5836 times)

cofe

• forum hero
komputers
March 31, 2005, 11:07:30 pm
i'm basically resigned to the fact my 'computer' has expired so now may be the time to get a new one.

i'll be after decent processor and RAM and shit but if anyone's got any knowledge on where to get one for fuck all then hit me. also if anyone has any wisdom on what to watch out for or get/not get when buying one then share that knowledge too. i.e. some RAM is quicker than others. whatever.

cheers guys. you're great.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 komputers
March 31, 2005, 11:32:14 pm
Quote from: "cofe"
try sending your specs to sales@slabtooth.co.uk - couple of guys based out of sheff who'll knock one up for you. i didn't get one in the end but they came through cheapest.

:wink:  Like the man recommends,  i tink getting one built to spec is the way forward. Even the Dell outlet tingy http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dfo seems pricey compared to getting all you need from ebuyer and building it yourself and/or getting someone to do it for you/help you etc.

A work collegue gets his bits from ebuyer, whilst my bro just built a top end fully loaded one (hyperthreaded processor, Mmmm, super good if your doing high end video etc, acts like a virtual dual processor, one can be chugging away doing filters/rendering etc whilst you merrily surfing with tother. Clever) and he got all his bits from www.scan.co.uk who apprantly are very good with advice to make sure your RAM is compatible with your motherboard, your motherboard fits your processor, you processor fits your harddrive, your kneebone connects to your shinbone, your...well you get the idea...

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#2 komputers
March 31, 2005, 11:47:48 pm
Not sure about the innards, but I've found your case...

:8)  :8)  :8)  :8)  :8)  :8)

dave

#3 komputers
March 31, 2005, 11:53:50 pm
get yo ass one o' these beauties:

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#4 komputers
April 01, 2005, 08:34:53 am
Nah, you really want one of these beauties:

scan.co.uk are good but don't do a self build unless you've got a vague idea of what you're doing. it probably won't end up being all that much cheaper and will give you more headaches.

I'd try some of the shops on London Rd as well - they all have cheap deals going - I got a pretty good box for about £250 - basic but works well.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 komputers
April 01, 2005, 08:51:29 am
Bollocks to all that non-sense, you want to get yourself one of theeeese bad boys......

........ a Goose. Half the cost of a computer AND it shits on the carpet!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 komputers
April 01, 2005, 08:55:53 am
No, no - one of these!

(whatever the fuck it is)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#7 komputers
April 01, 2005, 08:57:03 am
Or what about this?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#8 komputers
April 01, 2005, 09:32:06 am
Quote from: "Bubba"
No, no - one of these!

(whatever the fuck it is)

It's a Tapir of course! Some people  :roll:

cofe

• forum hero
#9 komputers
April 01, 2005, 11:39:26 am
you guys are nothing short of fucking useless...

obi - i realise what you wrote was 'words' but i don't quite get the dual thingy although it does sound dope. wwould this be possible for minimal cheddar?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#10 komputers
April 01, 2005, 12:09:57 pm
word, if you know someone who can build komputers and will give you a hand, build one. If not, buy one prebuilt.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#11 komputers
April 01, 2005, 01:29:36 pm
would this be possible for minimal cheddar?
HT processors start at £110, not cheap considering cheapo ones start at £50. However you ain't gonna build a new machine for nowt. You'd be better off fixing your old one (New RAM? Asking someone who knows what their doing? :wink: ) if you wanna spend 50p on a working computer.

But if you wanna new machine that gonna last you 3-5 years, don't skimp on it cos it'll be outta date in 12months.

bobble_maun

#12 komputers
April 01, 2005, 10:15:49 pm
you may wanna try

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/k.asp

price from £630 for a pre built system with monitor etc of £182 for a bare bones system (you get the all the parts and fit them yourself)

you could also try

http://www.scan.co.uk/ for cheap parts. as metioned before

i would steer clear  of Dell the base systems are cheap enought but the price soon goes up when you add floppy drives cd/dvd writers etc

hope this in some way helps or you could just invest in one of the above
 :lol:

squeek

• junky
#13 komputers
April 01, 2005, 10:30:39 pm
Forget a PC you want a FRUIT

Not that I understand all the fruit related banter that goes on, I'm simple.

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#14 komputers
April 03, 2005, 12:22:36 am
Quote from: "bobble_maun"
you may wanna try

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/k.asp

price from £630 for a pre built system with monitor etc of £182 for a bare bones system (you get the all the parts and fit them yourself)

Some of these kits are right cheap. The one for £385 is amazing, http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kl.asp?bn=10298 Building it's a piece of piss if your careful. and as a bonus your not giving the richest man in the world £100 of your hard earned cash  :wink: . Get it bought.  :8)

cofe

• forum hero
#15 komputers
April 03, 2005, 01:07:14 pm
Quote from: "Obi-Wan is lost..."
and as a bonus your not giving the richest man in the world £100 of your hard earned cash  :wink: . Get it bought.  :8)

so you'll build it me for a ton? i could sponsor a dolphin for less...

they do look pretty good though although my budget is £300 max.

cofe

• forum hero
#16 komputers
April 03, 2005, 01:10:23 pm
one has a celeron 2.4ghz processor - is this much shitter than a normal pentium?

is building one of these easy if you're lazy and careless, i.e. how easy is it to fuck it up? i'm guessing i shouldn't assemble it next to a large electromagnet while wearing a cashmere sweater.

JR

• forum abuser
#17 komputers
April 03, 2005, 02:27:25 pm
Quote from: "Obi-Wan is lost..."
and as a bonus your not giving the richest man in the world £100 of your hard earned cash  :wink: . Get it bought.  :8)

so you'll build it me for a ton? i could sponsor a dolphin for less...

they do look pretty good though although my budget is £300 max.

I think he meant microsoft, but i'd help you build it for a ton! ;-)............ or a few pints.

Thats is a good deal though £385

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#18 komputers
April 03, 2005, 08:36:23 pm
Quote from: "JR"

I think he meant microsoft

JR is right, if you buy one off the shelf you automatically are buying a XP license (currently around £80), so unless you request one without an OS and have it custom built. Although I don't condone nicking all software I do think Microshaft has earned enough money on their operating systems, and after a certain date (eg 2-3 years old) they should be free until the next one comes out. IMHO. Especially as Linux is free and in many ways better.

If you've already got a reasonable monitor, keyboard, mouse etc, these kits are ideal. Especially as if your on a budget you can always get a new monitor later.

In regards to building it, yeah static is your main problem, so building it Lego style in the middle of the carpet isn't your best option! If you wanna do it properly I could probably borrow an anti-static mat (kinda like a bouldering mat but thinner and cleaner  :wink: ) for a night or two. I recon it's a two evening job, build the machine one evening, get the essential software installed the next.

There are loads of online guides showing how easy it is, like Roll Your Own

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#19 komputers
April 03, 2005, 08:41:14 pm
one has a celeron 2.4ghz processor - is this much shitter than a normal pentium? .
Celery chips are fine, but you want 512mb of RAM minimum for high level photoshop stuff. Double your RAM will make more of a speed difference than a slightly faster chip.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#20 komputers
April 03, 2005, 08:45:40 pm
2.4 is more than good enough and get a gig of ddr ram

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal