UKBouldering.com

Most overrated bands/artists (Read 120634 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#50 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 03:19:14 pm
I think Madness were always crap really, they just struck lucky I think. I'm not too arsed about bands like that who probably never took themselves too seriously anyway.

I got some respect for Madonna for carving out her niche on her own terms but really I don't think most of her music is all that. The best bit of Like a Prayer is the backing choir.

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#51 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 04:44:51 pm
Madness - I hate those pricks so much. We had a band on the other day at work doing some Madness songs. Arseholes!

Madonna - As Aphex said 'She's just a vampire. She latches onto whoevers big at the moment, gets them to produce her new album and then has a string of hits while taking all the credit.'

Metallica - Some amazing tunes back in the day, but yeah they're pretty overrated and the recent stuff has been pretty dreadful.

Queen - Absolute bollocks :-P

Eminem - First two LPS pretty damn good, and ever since he's been going downhill rapidly.

dave

#52 Most overrated bands/artists
March 31, 2005, 11:40:31 pm
queen were fucking superb - there has never been and never will be anyone like them again, fucking amazing. go and listen to some of their albums from the 70s, its fucking unadulterated waddage. pure music, never took themselves too seriously, summert some of the cockpeices these days could take notice of.

andy bowie

• regular
#53 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 08:34:48 am
haven't read full thread so apologies for repeats but my nominations (contemporary) are:

Franz Ferdinand - so far up their own uber cool asses it must hurt
Joss Stone / Katie Mehula / A N Other dull barrat house music style warbling
the Futureheads - rubbish!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#54 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 08:49:11 am
Franz F are ok imho

Graeme

• menacing presence
#55 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 09:20:46 am
I quite like the futureheads, its like listening to the jam, before they went shit.

Anyway its about time we started listing under-rated artists.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#56 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 10:45:38 am
I agree with whoever above said that being shit in itself is no bad thing (we all need a laugh) - the problem is being terrible whilst taking yourself really seriously. Bands that rant on about the transcendental nature of their art whilst turning out awful derivative rubbish for people who buy all their albums in supermarkets and petrol stations.

That said I reckon most of your attitude is to do with your age - the bands that irritate me are only really guilty of producing slightly inferior copies of stuff I've already heard.  If it was my first exposure to that sort of music I'd probably love it - although...  Muse fer fucks sake  - Radiohead remodelled for Queen fans who never moved on.....

Have to admit some affection for Coldplay and Franz Ferdinand - saw them both live quite early on: Coldplay 4th on the bill to Campag Velocette - genuinely bubbly and overjoyed that anyone was listening.  Strange to see them so po-faced now  - thats what shagging beautiful actresses and eating macrobiotic food does for you!  Not really their fault they became so ubiquitous so fast.  Same with Snow Patrol - a bit turgid, but the Reindeer Section spinoff albums are really good (Belle and Sebastian-esque for fans of the twee).

Underrated - Explosions in the Sky and 65daysofstatic for fans of GSBYE  / mogwai.  I'm enjoying the arcade fire LP too.

andy bowie

• regular
#57 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 11:24:05 am
65 days of static are awesome. saw them live couple of weeks ago and ran out and bought album. very good driving fast to the crag type of music. Sooo much energy.

The thermals - fantastic american punk type stuff. although i guess to be underrated you need to be well known.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#58 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 11:45:05 am
I wouldn't say so. You need to be known, and as such underrated. My personal view is that as things hit the mainstream they can become insipid and tame.

Then its time to move on.
My current faves for underrated would have to Open Hand

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#59 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 03:33:22 pm
Again I'm gonna have to disagree with some on the metalica front. Though I will give you that st anger was them doing a red hot chillis or green day and saying, hmm how best to target the masses of 14 year olds that want really badly to have a crisis to whine about.

Graeme

• menacing presence
#60 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 03:53:31 pm
Metallica were good until they got Bob Rock to produce their albums and then they became shit simple as. That and the fact they thought lets explore our experimental sides saw them crawl further and further up their own arses, re: Napster.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#61 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 08:25:04 pm
that's true, however thy're still fuckin awesome.

metallica, offspring, ACDC are genius tho i could see they're not to some peoples taste. oasis overrated? philistines, ok they did crawl up thier own arse but that's because what they did was produce tune after tune of glorious addiction. to say that queen are overrated is beyond comprehension and may god have mercy on your soul, the same can be said of pink floyd.
anyone got tina turner sings country? i'll bet not and that in itself should be a crime

a dense loner

• forum hero
#62 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 08:30:16 pm
these names didn't deserve to share a box with the above:
manic street preachers, stereophonics, coldplay, any dopey young looking tidy bit of skirt, DIDO wtf, i can't write anymore must end it...must end it...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#63 Most overrated bands/artists
April 01, 2005, 11:24:05 pm
Just got to the stage where i need to really think about what i'm typing, buuut........

i can't say i hate any of the bands/people mentioned so far (apart from sir cliff} alright they've produced some shite, but they wouldn't be well known unless they'd produced at least one decent record. There must be at least one song from all the artists (you know what i mean!) mentioned that most people can sit back and say "that was actually alright!"

maybe i is wrong, but i is feeling a friendly relaxed vibe right now bruthers and sistaaars.

PEACE MAN....

free the weed

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#64 Most overrated bands/artists
April 02, 2005, 10:10:56 pm
Goddamn I spend a week offline and miss one of my favourite topics...

So far unmentioned, and a personal crusade as far as I am concerned... The fcuking Beatles. How can this boyband be seen as so important is beyond me. Its fcuking embarrassing. I got taken to a beatles night at the leadmill by my mates at uni who were into music so that they could educate me... as it turned out I had the last laugh as they continually apologised 'he'll play a good one next...' I'm still waiting. And the pathetic punning name annoys me every time I see it

More recently, U2, Nirvana and Radiohead have all annoyed me. Of the current stuff, Scissor sisters is definitely the worst - quote Pat King 'all I wanted for christmas were some 8 1/2 lace-ups, and all I got was this fucking Scissor sisters cd'.

But there has only ever been one band that makes me want to kill myself or others - The B-52s. I know (hope) they aren't particuarly rated, but I've had to leave clubs when loveshack comes on. Just writing the name makes me angry....

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#65 Most overrated bands/artists
April 03, 2005, 12:14:24 am
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"
But there has only ever been one band that makes me want to kill myself or others - The B-52s. I know (hope) they aren't particuarly rated, but I've had to leave clubs when loveshack comes on. Just writing the name makes me angry....

Come now JB, how can you knock classic lyrics such as...

"We were at the beach
Everybody had matching towels
Somebody went under a dock
And there they saw a rock
It wasn't a rock
It was a rock lobster"

Something tells me JB protests too much...who thinks he's a closet B52 fan? You just know he's got Cosmic Thing on vinyl hidden away somewhere :lol: .

Fingers of a Martyr

• forum hero
#66 Most overrated bands/artists
April 03, 2005, 12:26:51 am
So far unmentioned, and a personal crusade as far as I am concerned...
The fcuking Beatles. How can this boyband be seen as so important is beyond me. Its fcuking embarrassing. I got taken to a beatles night at the leadmill by my mates at uni who were into music so that they could educate me... as it turned out I had the last laugh as they continually apologised 'he'll play a good one next...' I'm still waiting. And the pathetic punning name annoys me every time I see it

So true!!! The Beatles are just boring, middle of the road, average joe crap.

underground

• forum hero
#67 Most overrated bands/artists
April 03, 2005, 07:51:07 pm
Quote from: "Fingers of a Martyr"
So far unmentioned, and a personal crusade as far as I am concerned...
The fcuking Beatles. How can this boyband be seen as so important is beyond me. Its fcuking embarrassing. I got taken to a beatles night at the leadmill by my mates at uni who were into music so that they could educate me... as it turned out I had the last laugh as they continually apologised 'he'll play a good one next...' I'm still waiting. And the pathetic punning name annoys me every time I see it

So true!!! The Beatles are just boring, middle of the road, average joe crap.

A-Men, I got crucified at work for daring to say owt against the Beatles. 'No, how can you say that, they're genius' or'...legends'.

Bollocks- any cunt who writes about a yellow submarine, or when I'm 64, or Octopussy's garden is no genius. They're a total cunt. Inspired by LSD? Must have been a fucking boring trip.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#68 Most overrated bands/artists
April 03, 2005, 08:42:56 pm
word, I hate the beatles too

a dense loner

• forum hero
#69 Most overrated bands/artists
April 03, 2005, 09:07:58 pm
i do as well then

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#70 Most overrated bands/artists
April 03, 2005, 09:12:05 pm
you band wagon jumper, you...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#71 Most overrated bands/artists
April 04, 2005, 08:08:06 am
Quote from: "Johnny Brown"

I think someone may appear shortly who shares your hatred.

I think the definition of overrates is to enjoy a popularity out of all proportion to actual talent, so find it hard to dislike something when it is a genre of music that I don't know a lot about; jazz for instance, or opera. For all I know the three tenors could be regarded as shite by those in the know.

Scissor Sisters still leave me dumbstruck by their popularity though. Are people really that dense?

rowena

• player
#72 Most overrated bands/artists
April 04, 2005, 10:57:29 am
Oh yes, The B52's Love Shack - NO NO NO!  The most irritating song ever.

a dense loner

• forum hero
#73 Most overrated bands/artists
April 04, 2005, 11:18:58 am
Are people really that dense?

are you saying that i am all people :?  :wink:

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#74 Most overrated bands/artists
April 04, 2005, 11:52:36 am