UKBouldering.com

Books... (Read 522675 times)

fried

• forum hero
#525 Re: Books...
August 09, 2012, 10:12:45 pm
After saving my Proust for the holidays when I came to pack I found it had disappeared. So I grabbed Malcolm Lowry's Under the volcano off the bookshelf. I'd read it years' ago but Wow what an utterly brilliant study of post second world war end of colonialism depression, masquerading as the best portrayal of alcholism ever penned. Don't read if you like books where something actually happens

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#526 Re: Books...
August 12, 2012, 11:21:21 pm
Just finished reading "The Gone Away War" which my good lady lent me.

Really good read!  Bizarre, thought provoking, humorous, sad, happy, exciting, clever. I liked it!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#527 Re: Books...
August 13, 2012, 01:57:29 pm
Nearly finished JPod by Douglas Copeland

Hilarious! Funniest book I've read in ages...

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#528 Re: Books...
August 13, 2012, 02:02:19 pm
Funnily enough I just finished Great Gatsby last night, not the usual sort of thing I pick up, but I was recommended it by a friend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like you say incredible writing, great characterisation.  I found some Patrick Bateman in Gatsby and wonder if it was an inspiration.

I found The Great Gatsby a very odd book.  Not a lot actually happens for 99% of it.  I do like American Psycho though, I've read it a few times now.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#529 Re: Books...
August 16, 2012, 12:57:46 pm
Wasn't sure whether this should go on the comics thread but it's a bit more than that so...

I just read Maus:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Maus.html?id=BmtQAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Saw it in the library and remembered it had been mentioned on here a few times.

It's really, really good. In some ways perhaps a graphic novel is the best way to convey the utter horror of the holocaust and it couldn't have been done a lot better than this. It's fucking savage, but it should be, that was what happened. It also perfectly conveys the way things got gradually worse and worse for people without them realising how bad they could get, and then it was too late....

There is even plenty of dark humour in there as the author shows the difficulty of dealing with the behaviour of his father, the survivor, who is telling him his story.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Ti_pin_man

• obsessive maniac
  • sometimes you see things & curse, damnit no gun
#530 Re: Books...
August 16, 2012, 01:04:11 pm
Funnily enough I just finished Great Gatsby last night, not the usual sort of thing I pick up, but I was recommended it by a friend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Like you say incredible writing, great characterisation.  I found some Patrick Bateman in Gatsby and wonder if it was an inspiration.

I found The Great Gatsby a very odd book.  Not a lot actually happens for 99% of it.  I do like American Psycho though, I've read it a few times now.

I'd agree, I sit on planes a lot and read a lot so recently went for the 'classics' and i enjoyed the great gatsby but wouldnt exactly sing or dance about it, good but not to the legend level I half expected. 

Some of these classics are good, but not that fekking good.

Looking for something else next.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#531 Re: Books...
August 16, 2012, 01:43:17 pm
I just read Maus:

I mentioned it in the Graphic Novels thread originally, but it almost deserves to be in both. I got it out the local library too, good that it's available freely, should be read by everyone.

Stubbs

#532 Re: Books...
August 16, 2012, 09:58:18 pm

I'd agree, I sit on planes a lot and read a lot so recently went for the 'classics' and i enjoyed the great gatsby but wouldnt exactly sing or dance about it, good but not to the legend level I half expected. 

**SPOILERS**
I don't read a lot of these sort of books (mainly stick to PKD)  but I kind of thought the point of it was that it documented a gradual downwards decline - everything starts off quite rosy for Nick and Gatsby seems like a mysterious but great guy, but as the book rolls on the parties get more out of control and become darker; you realise the majority of the main characters are living hollow lives with little meaning (or based on falsehoods) and everything spirals towards the climax.  I loved how it was slow to start but everything seems to become more chaotic until everything crashes together.

I hope Mr Popp will be along to put me right!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#533 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 10:29:55 am
just finished Wool by Hugh Howey and highly recommend it - definitely a page turner for any sci fi fans out there

andy popp

• forum hero
#534 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 10:50:59 am

**SPOILERS**
I don't read a lot of these sort of books (mainly stick to PKD)  but I kind of thought the point of it was that it documented a gradual downwards decline - everything starts off quite rosy for Nick and Gatsby seems like a mysterious but great guy, but as the book rolls on the parties get more out of control and become darker; you realise the majority of the main characters are living hollow lives with little meaning (or based on falsehoods) and everything spirals towards the climax.  I loved how it was slow to start but everything seems to become more chaotic until everything crashes together.

I hope Mr Popp will be along to put me right!

No, that seems exactly right to me. Tender is the Night is very much in the same vein thematically (though perhaps slightly more eventful) but even darker, twisted, and bleak about human nature. Personally, I love books in which very little happens. Currently on Vol. 9 of A Dance to the Music of Time and basically nothing has happened beyond the normal events of life.

andy popp

• forum hero
#535 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 10:59:54 am
On the flipside, plot alone never makes for a good book. Ran out of reading on holiday this summer and the only book in the house was Girl with the Dragon Tattoo: jesus its bad. The writing is terrible. What's more I found I could simply leaf forward forty pages and still know exactly what was happening; surely you shouldn't be able to do that with a 'thriller.'

SA Chris

• forum hero
#536 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 11:23:57 am
Bet you wish you had reread something decent.

tomtom

• forum hero
#537 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 11:29:22 am
As an on-off fan of Rankins 'Rebus' novels, I recently enjoyed both of his new(er) novels based on the 'Complaints'...

If dourish Edinburgh based crime novels are your bag then I'd reccomend them.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#538 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 11:35:54 am
I got the first 8 or so as a set - working my way through them and enjoy them provided you don't overdose.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#539 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 03:12:09 pm
have enjoyed Neal Stephenson "Snow Crash", quite visionary really but we'll researched & detailed about religion, linguistics and a quite frightening possibility with regards to consumerism/corporations.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#540 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 03:49:01 pm
Cryptonomicon is really good too but I was underwhelmed with Anathem.  Just finished The Honourable Schoolboy thanks to Galpinos' recommendation and enjoyed it as much as Tinker Tailor.  Now halfway through and thoroughly immersed and somewhat disturbed by M John Harrison's Empty Space, the third and final book in the series that began with the stunning Light

andy_e

• forum hero
#541 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 03:54:31 pm
Are they about climbing? always loved his writing in Climbers.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#542 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 05:00:59 pm
Nope.  Review of Light here.  Climbers is being republished next year by Gollancz. 

tomtom

• forum hero
#543 Books...
August 29, 2012, 05:42:43 pm
Wasn't sure whether this should go on the comics thread but it's a bit more than that so...

I just read Maus:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Maus.html?id=BmtQAAAAMAAJ&redir_esc=y

Saw it in the library and remembered it had been mentioned on here a few times.

It's really, really good. In some ways perhaps a graphic novel is the best way to convey the utter horror of the holocaust and it couldn't have been done a lot better than this. It's fucking savage, but it should be, that was what happened. It also perfectly conveys the way things got gradually worse and worse for people without them realising how bad they could get, and then it was too late....

There is even plenty of dark humour in there as the author shows the difficulty of dealing with the behaviour of his father, the survivor, who is telling him his story.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

I got this for Xmas last year. Excellent.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#544 Re: Books...
August 29, 2012, 05:44:23 pm
To carry on the Neal Stephenson thread, I don't know if i've mentioned it here before but 'The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer' is really very good.

Having finally finished Hyperion Cantos, I've moved on to the next Iain M. Banks Culture novel (Look to Windward) which feels like pleasantly easy reading in comparison (although the last one, Excession, was less so as I forgot who half the characters(Minds) were). I have Snow crash, brave new world and Dune competing for the next spot. Anything feels like easy reading after philosophy papers....

johnx2

• obsessive maniac
#545 Re: Books...
September 06, 2012, 01:55:48 pm
house of rumour - really good.

here’s a proper review: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/29/house-of-rumour-jake-arnott-review

it’s a good read and, pastiche aside, he comes over like a less up himself mid-period Pyncheon with more sympathetic and believable characters.

I’m an anti-conspiracy theorist but weird things do happen, like the flight of Hess and his suicide decades later, Fleming’s erm wartime career and Waldheim’s come to that, with his Sec Gen UN recordings launched on Voyager; Crowley’s connections with the above, pulp sci-fi authors funding a new religion… All woven together nicely. Bit of a romp really. And as someone else who spent time there, I think I can smell the mid-80s Leeds 6 undergrowth…  Which is a good thing.

casa

• addict
#546 Re: Books...
October 01, 2012, 01:51:52 pm
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/351

Really enjoyed this. And great value  ;)

SA Chris

• forum hero
#547 Re: Books...
October 01, 2012, 01:55:38 pm
I'm sure it's been mentioned elsewhere previously, but I just finished reading and really enjoyed Troll Wall. Brilliantly written and a great climbing story. Unbelievable it went unpublished for 50 years, and well done to VP for seeing the value in publishing it.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#548 Re: Books...
October 01, 2012, 07:19:25 pm
house of rumour - really good.

here’s a proper review: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/jun/29/house-of-rumour-jake-arnott-review

it’s a good read and, pastiche aside, he comes over like a less up himself mid-period Pyncheon with more sympathetic and believable characters.

I’m an anti-conspiracy theorist but weird things do happen, like the flight of Hess and his suicide decades later, Fleming’s erm wartime career and Waldheim’s come to that, with his Sec Gen UN recordings launched on Voyager; Crowley’s connections with the above, pulp sci-fi authors funding a new religion… All woven together nicely. Bit of a romp really. And as someone else who spent time there, I think I can smell the mid-80s Leeds 6 undergrowth…  Which is a good thing.

Thanks that sounds great. Added to the list..

tesla

• addict
  • long mover
#549 Re: Books...
October 03, 2012, 12:24:27 am
Falling Down if you liked Cryptonomicon you will like probably like Reamde, which I think is Stephenson's latest. I couldn't read Anathem either, I found it painful for some reason.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal