UKBouldering.com

Books... (Read 522664 times)

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#250 Re: Books...
February 08, 2008, 12:16:11 pm
Jaspers' Time Tunnel thread reminded me of 'THE FOREVER WAR' by Joe Haldeman. My favourite sci-fi, amazing.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#251 Re: Books...
February 13, 2008, 02:46:53 pm
Are we allowed comics\graphic novels in the books thread? No harm in trying I suppose.

Firstly one of the true classics - Sandman

Probably the comic\graphic novel that changes perceptions of the whole genre more than anything else - brilliant writing with great artwork and more references than you can shake a stick at.

Next something a little bit different - Maus

"Vladek Spiegelman was a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Holocaust and "Maus" is about the attempt of his son, a cartoonist, to come to terms with not only his father in Rego Park, New York, but the terrible things that happened to his father in Poland" - a very different take on the subject but very worthwhile.

Lastly a personal favourite of mine - 100 Bullets

Noir at its grim and gritty best with artwork that just works so well with its subject. The concept is fairly simple - a man walks up to you and tells you that your life is as fucked up as it is because of a certain person and proceeds to explain further. He then hands you a brief case with proof of what he has just told you and a gun with 100 Bullets thereby giving you have carte blanche to deal with the named person. The twist in the tale is that the gun and the bullets are completely untraceable - any investigation into the death of the person who has wronged you will cease as soon as soon as the gun or bullets are found. Do you take the choice offered or not?

bluebrad

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#252 Re: Books...
March 26, 2008, 11:31:43 am
Just finished this book.

Really interesting, and worth a read if you have any interest in South African history. Brought back some memories, both good and bad.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#253 Re: Books...
March 26, 2008, 11:55:41 am
Currently on

An anonymous man pulls back from the brink of suicide when his application to buy a gun is delayed. Instead of killing himself, he decides to murder those who he feels deserve to die. Targeting a bureaucrat in the Veterans' Administration, he devises an ingenious method of murdering people without trace. With a renewed zest for living he embarks on a joyful killing spree, having found the true purpose of his existence.

You sick fuck!

cowboyhat

• forum hero
#254 Re: Books...
March 26, 2008, 12:53:42 pm

Just read this, amazing. Essential if you like sci-fi.

Can't believe I hadn't read it before!

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#255 Re: Books...
March 26, 2008, 01:23:37 pm
Geting rid of Mr Kitchen by Charles Higson is brilliant.
Only short but well worth reading

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#256 Re: Books...
March 26, 2008, 01:47:46 pm
I liked that book. If you enjoy it, you should definitely read "King of the Ants", by him as well, which I think is a better book. Reminds me, I meant to check his other books out, but never have. Cheers.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#257 Re: Books...
March 26, 2008, 02:23:57 pm
Yeah, I've read most of his other books. Mr kitchen is the best IMHO

Yossarian

• forum hero
#258 Re: Books...
April 04, 2008, 03:54:46 pm
I have just come back from a pleasantly fiction-laden holiday, and thought I should share my reading list.

In approximate order of how much I enjoyed them…

The Book of Dave – Will Self
The best London book since London Fields. I thought it was quite amazing.

All Quiet on the Orient Express – Magnus Mills
Not sure whether this is actually even better than the Restraint of Beasts, but if it’s not then it’s a pretty close thing.  Hilarious from start to finish. Never spill the green paint.

George’s Marvellous Medicine – Roald Dahl
Well, I couldn’t really put it at number one, could I?

The Rachel Papers – Martin Amis
A re-read, and even better than I remember.

Money – Ditto
Exuberant debauchery.

The Black Album – Hanif Kureishi
I didn’t enjoy this as much as the Buddha of Suburbia, but still a fine read.

The Scheme for Full Employment – Magnus Mills
I expected more (for some reason). Still a good read though.

Jude Level 1 – Julian Gough
Some of the most inspired comedic writing I’ve read in ages interspersed with quantities of irritating trying too hard-ness.

Ed Reardon’s Week – Andrew Nickolds & Christopher Douglas
R4 spin-off apparently. Quite amusing, particularly references to Thresher 3 for 2 Chilean Merlot offers.

Terrorist – John Updike
Thought-provoking but not entirely convincing tale about a disenfranchised teenager and Islamic (fund a) mentalist in New Jersey. Lots of Qu’ranic grooming. And the brilliantly named Tylenol Jones.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#259 Re: Books...
April 04, 2008, 08:27:46 pm
oh, i forgot...

truecrime - jake arnott
now that was a book. i loved the long firm, missed out on he kills coppers, but this one was really fucking good. great characters and a great story.

hallam foe - peter jinks
weird. funny, but then it dropped a lot of stuff about suicidal mothers and i started to find it all mildly annoying. maybe the film is better. who knows....

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#260 Re: Books...
April 04, 2008, 08:45:16 pm
Book of Dave sits 80 pages in started a year back . . .    Maybe I'll restart.  So hit and miss is Self.

Yossarian

• forum hero
#261 Re: Books...
April 04, 2008, 09:12:48 pm
which are the misses?

my idea of fun - awesome
the quantity theory of insanity - ditto
dorian - back of the net
tough tough toys for tough tough boys - now that's writing
the sweet smell of sykosis - "dining with pablo"
junk mail - loved it

great apes - iffy
the other one / book of the dead - not really my cup of tea

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#262 Re: Books...
April 04, 2008, 09:24:12 pm
Best

Dorian
Quantity
Junk Mail
How The Dead Live
Dr. Mukti
Great Apes
My Idea
Tough Tough

Worst

Not read Sweet Smell...  Dave is uninspiring.

Self is less a case of a bad book but more a case of only hitting the spot for half a book at a time.  Usual moments of brilliance interspersed w/ poo.

Will Self is not a great writer, he's a good comic writer.  His idea of plot leaves much to be desired.  An ideas man, one might say.

superfurrymonkey

• junky
#263 Re: Books...
April 04, 2008, 09:36:30 pm
Robert Fisks testament to thirty or more years of reporting from the middle east is an amazing read "The Great War For Civilisation, The Conquest Of The Middle East".

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#264 Re: Books...
April 07, 2008, 04:43:26 pm
I read Denis Johnson's 'Tree of Smoke' whilst away on holiday.

I asked for this for Christmas after reading rave reviews in the press last Autumn and again set off on holiday wielding a large hardback (650p) only this time (unlike Thomas Pynchon 1100p) I was thankfully able to finish it during my stay.  I won't do a full review because there are better ones than I can write available on the web.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/02/books/review/Lewis3-t.html

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2199839,00.html#article_continue

This is a brilliant book exploring some big themes set against the Vietnam war and the role of the intelligence services through the eyes of a young intelligence agent; a volunteer grunt in the marines; a religious worker caring for orphans; an NVA pilot and his brother who facilitates a double agent exchange.  Not an easy read by any means but very worthwhile. 

andy popp

• forum hero
#265 Re: Books...
April 07, 2008, 06:58:31 pm
Robert Fisks testament to thirty or more years of reporting from the middle east is an amazing read "The Great War For Civilisation, The Conquest Of The Middle East".

Robert Fisk restores one's faith in British journalism and makes the Independent required reading.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#266 Re: Books...
April 26, 2008, 08:04:26 pm
Forgive me if this has been posted before but I've just read Sebastian Faulks' Engleby and have to say that it's one of the best things i've read for a long time; absolutely gripping and a fascinating study of a very disturbed individual indeed.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 08:10:14 pm by Bubba »

nik at work

• forum hero
#267 Re: Books...
April 26, 2008, 09:38:13 pm
Got to agree with Houdini about book of Dave, I thought it was unreadable junk.

However any man who reads Dahl is not a total lost cause so don't worry Yoss....

andy popp

• forum hero
#268 Re: Books...
May 15, 2008, 09:40:42 am
I've never read any J.G. Ballard so when I was stuck at an airport with nothing to read recently I bought the only one they had in the shop, Kingdom Come. Much to my surprise it turned out to be a bit crap - clunky, obvious themes and careless writing. Really couldn't be bothered to finish it. Did I just get unlucky and choose his one dud or what?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:51:12 am by andy popp »

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#269 Re: Books...
May 15, 2008, 09:45:50 am
Very unlucky indeed.

CRASH and EMPIRE OF THE SUN are where one starts w/ Ballard.  COCAINE NIGHTS when one is comfortable.

Duma

• forum hero
#270 Re: Books...
May 15, 2008, 03:02:35 pm
Sci Fi: Iain M Banks new thing - Matter if you like his stuff, you'll enjoy this, but it's not the best culture novel - I'd wait for the paperback...
Randomly picked up Ursula le Guins Dispossed in Borders t'other day - brilliant! More politics than sci fi, but none the worse for that.
Big ups for other's recommendations: Alan Garner - Thursbitch is amazing! Most atmospheric read I've had in ages, Distilled down beautifully. Got The Stone Book Quartet while I was at it - more evidence of Garner genius...
The Wild Places similar reaction to JB - though my lack of geology knowledge meant those mistakes didn't grate. Certainly not up to Mountains of the Mind IMHO.
Wildwood partway through this - felt it kind of lost it's way once all the Oz stuff, but will persevere.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#271 Re: Books...
May 31, 2008, 06:06:53 pm
Struggled w/ many books over the last 6 months, finished few; feel this could be the next one to actually reach the end of.

Suits my current mood perfectly:  it's full of Jews and Nazi's and is narrated by none other than Death himself.  Recommended.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#272 Re: Books...
June 01, 2008, 04:47:25 pm
Struggled w/ many books over the last 6 months, finished few; feel this could be the next one to actually reach the end of.

Suits my current mood perfectly:  it's full of Jews and Nazi's and is narrated by none other than Death himself.  Recommended.

Pretty sure that my house mate has recommended this to me - I will double check and borrow it if this is the case.

As for that feeling of struggling with books. Lately it is one that I know too well - I really dislike leaving a book unfinished but some of the stuff I have tried to read over the last few months has made this seem an attractive option.

bluebrad

runt

• obsessive maniac
#273 Re: Books...
June 01, 2008, 04:56:27 pm
Don't know if it hasappeared before but..
Just finished 'Survival of the sickest' by Dr sharon moalem

Focuses on evolutionary medicine, and the links between disease and longevity, not as dull as it sounds and some easy to read interesting ideas eg, diabetes as a survival response to the last ice age

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#274 Re: Books...
June 05, 2008, 06:01:59 pm
Sci Fi: Iain M Banks new thing - Matter if you like his stuff, you'll enjoy this, but it's not the best culture novel - I'd wait for the paperback...

I was unaware this was out, shame it doesn't sound too good, I fucking love Culture novels, will it please a fanboy?

Anyhow I can highly recommend Lizzie Collingham-Curry a tale of cooks and conquerors. It's a history of India and Indian food, is filled with facts such as to make the perfect pilau chefs used to cook the rice in a broth made from chickens fed on musk and saffron! Awesome. I can't rate this enough, one of the best books I've read about food. Buy it now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal