UKBouldering.com

digital travel camera (Read 3163 times)

bob

• player
digital travel camera
March 08, 2005, 03:42:49 pm
im going to get a digital camera to take on a trip at the end of the year (round the world jobbie hopefully). can't afford a digital slr so was considering a compact to replace my 35mm slr as i won't have to worry about carrying loads of film,processing,iffy airport x-ray machine ...etc.
iv read some reviews and i think the canon s70 might be for me. if anyone has got one of these or has any opinions on the matter of travel/wallet friendly cameras please share the knowledge

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#1 digital travel camera
March 08, 2005, 06:51:10 pm
We've been using a load of the older S50's at work (with school kids) for a while, good quality, pretty robust. Quite big, (not sure if the S70 is smaller, looks about the same in photos)  The usual probs you'll have when travelling with a digital are, if you are going around the world consider batteries and backup, are you going to be able to charge it? Some cameras have rechargeables but also take AA's or 2CR5 which you can keep spare if you get stuck. Check Steve's Digicams , the best review site I've found on the web. Also consider investing in a way to back things up, you'll want a big card and if its get corrupted (which is more common than people think) you can lose the lot. Get your self a big online account (a lot are free) and upload stuff as you go along. Alternatively there are various stand alone harddrive type backup devices, but these are pricey and jus as easy to lose as a camera!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 digital travel camera
March 11, 2005, 03:17:45 pm
Also check out http://dpreview.com

BoulderHog

• addict
#3 digital travel camera
March 11, 2005, 09:13:28 pm
You'll want one that uses AA batteries probably. For a non-digital SLR your pictures will want some photoshop work just to tone down the Disney colours most consumer digitals produce. Best bet is go for one that does as little in camera processing as possible, so you get a nice dull, soft, flat image that still has all the information to be brought out in photoshop. Think about the Canon A95 maybe, using low sharp setting and set on two stops down all the time (rain or shine).

I got an A80, and it's now replaced my old SLR, gets some great pictures (after photoshop), and the batteries last ages if you use high capacity rechageables, but Duracells last a couple hundred shots as well. Only problem is getting shallow depth of field, but you can't have everything I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal