UKBouldering.com

Hampi (Read 3121 times)

bob

• player
Hampi
February 18, 2005, 12:32:18 pm
anyone been?are there any guides to this area or do you just have to take a dvd player and pilgrimage. Also whats the availability of chalk out there as im quite a slimy climber and if i go for a month will be needing more than i can fit into my pack.

Control freak

• forum abuser
    • nick fletcher photography
#1 Hampi
February 21, 2005, 01:28:18 pm
Im off there on saturday so I'll yet you know. Only there for three days but hopefully should be able to check a few spots out. Spoke to the fly about it before I left and he said there is a shop on the main high street which sells a guide

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#2 Hampi
February 21, 2005, 04:06:14 pm
Lucky bugger... :cry:

Control freak

• forum abuser
#3 Hampi
February 24, 2005, 03:13:36 pm
Dunno about that. Not sure how much climbing I will get done - it was 33 degrees here today (Goa)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#4 Hampi
February 25, 2005, 09:46:58 am
Get in those caves lad! Just look out for angry ape's :!:

Control freak

• forum abuser
#5 Hampi
February 28, 2005, 12:48:06 pm
I came from Goa by train which takes about nine hours. If you arrive by train you need to get off a Hospet Jn and get a rickshaw to Hampi, its about 15km and we paid 100ruppees. If you arrive by bus I think it will drop you off here. The best accommodation is on the other side of the river. To get accross you need to go to the ghats next to the main temple and get the corracle (5rps). Up on the bank there are a number of places along the side of a big paddy field which range in prices depending on how much luxury (aircon is not a luxury which Hampi offers!). At the moment temperatures are hitting 40 degrees plus at mid day so you want to be up and about befoe 7am if your coming anywhere near this time of year. By 10am its getting too hot - though there are some caves to go and chill in. November is the best time to visit.

There used to be a guide book held at the bookshop but the owner has removed it with a plan to update it and maybe produce a guide to sell. I only had chance to go to a few areas. Up on the hill above the main temple is the most obvious starting place. Also if you stand here looking at the temple and go left over an obvious rdige there is another good areas with marked problems ala Font. The other area is over the river. Take the track fomr the top of the path to the river, through the paddy fields to a bloc with an obviuos white sign painted on it - there are more good problems here. To be honest tho, there is that much rock youre probably just as well going off and exploring. Lastly bring a good pad - some of the problems get quite high and its a hard landing!

Enjoy  :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal