UKBouldering.com

Bathford (Read 5512 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Bathford
March 04, 2003, 07:53:16 am
After putting up the new Bathford article, it occurred to me that only some of the boulders there are mentioned. I spoke to Chris Fryer last year and he'd been developing some other boulders back the other way along the main road from the ones described. Does anyone have any more info on these?

Also, a friend of mine is convinced that there are other boulders on the other side of the valley - has anyone had a good look yet? I'm going down that way next month so will try to have a bit of an explore, and to try some of the problems in the article.

Also, if anyone local can knock together a quick topo that would be really handy ...

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#1 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 12:03:45 pm
The other boulders Fryer was talking about aren't really any good.  Very Chossy!

The other side of the valley is below Bath Uni  and the rocks aren't really much to shout about.

The little topo you've got is really the best location, and future efforts should be focused on the back wall, and the 'hippy' cave.

Give me an e-mail when you come down and I'll show you all the best stuff.

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#2 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 12:28:00 pm
Also, I'm not to hot on these matters, what do you want in a topo?  Obvioulsy a list of problems, a map maybe?  

I just hang the rock.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#3 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 12:41:08 pm
My mate reckoned that there were other boulders like the existing ones....but he's a non-climber (he's the lad with the red top in the article on his first ever day's bouldering!) so might not be able to distinguish between choss and the goods. I'll get him to show me and report back. These things are usually an anti-climax though  :cry:

I suppose I topo isn't essential for such a small venue, but in some ways it's just easier to use than an article if you're taking a printed copy to the crag. As for guidlines for topos - the rockfax ones are as good as they need to be if you've seen any of their bouldering guides, or have a look at sites like supertopo.com.

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#4 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 03:30:12 pm
I have to admit to not having explored the whole woods below bath uni, but I did have a good look, and have spoken to some of my student scum colleagues about what rock they have found.

There is a reasonable buttress that has rope grooves worn into the top, not that it really needs a rope.  I suspect it has been used by previous members of the Bath University climbing club.

There are a number of half decent boulders, they're not really chossy, but the pockets, breaks etc. are so big, even the most hardened eliminate setter would struggle.

But, I really think some interesting stuff could be done on the wall  and cave near the main boulders, especially now so many people know about the place.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#5 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 04:54:53 pm
yep, we've done a few problems elsewhere at bathford - a few quality lines.  I could probably knock up a topo when I have time, I'll let you know if I get round to it.. will try and just write them down for a start.    regarding the bath uni side, have explored up there quite a lot when i was at the uni and it is mostly choss.

by the way why do you write "If god intended us to climb then why didn't he give us rubber feet!?"  after every post ?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#6 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 05:45:14 pm
Quote from: "ben"
I could probably knock up a topo when I have time, I'll let you know if I get round to it..

go for it ben...

Quote from: "ben"
by the way why do you write "If god intended us to climb then why didn't he give us rubber feet!?"  after every post ?

It's his "signature", which is optional but can be set up from your profile page....

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#7 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 05:47:39 pm
It's just a 'witty' little thing you can put at the bottom of every posting.  A lot of the users on this site have them.  Mine is trying to highlight how ludicrous climbing is in relation to the bigger things in life. (no really!)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#8 Bathford
March 04, 2003, 05:57:09 pm
As an aside, if avatars and signatures piss you off, and I know that there's those who just don't like 'em, then you can select the "workFriendly" forum style on your profile and you won't see them any more.

ben

• obsessive maniac
#9 Bathford
March 05, 2003, 01:28:47 pm
sorry - my question about the signatures was slightly sarcastic...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#10 Bathford
March 05, 2003, 02:26:26 pm
Its practically impossible to imply sarcasm over the internet (and in text messages), perhaps there should be tags circa; [sarcasm]and you are the best rock climber in the world aren't you?[/sarcasm]

mozzer

• addict
#11 Bathford
March 05, 2003, 02:39:20 pm
or just assume that as we are british that we are always sarcastic.

Yes, you a very good boulderer. No, honestly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal