UKBouldering.com

am i injured? (Read 3228 times)

bob

• player
am i injured?
February 03, 2005, 03:09:37 pm
when i wake up in the mornings my left hand is often almost clenched, especially after a heavy session the day before (climbing that is) and feels stiff when i open it out then when i close my hand again i get a stabbing pain in the region of my a2 pulley. however i don't seem to have any probs with my a2 when climbing. has anyone else experienced the same? is it an injury warranting a trip to the doc or am i just a wingeing southerner if so what can i do to reduce the pain its not the nicest way to start the day.

dave

#1 am i injured?
February 03, 2005, 03:29:53 pm
doctor i'll probably just gi thee some asprin, or even worse give you a litre of morphine and write himself into your will. i recon if you're gonna get it looked at get yoursen refered to a physio who's down with the climbing flava.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#2 am i injured?
February 03, 2005, 05:31:07 pm
I had a similar problem when I came back from pulling on too many deep pockets.  I had what felt like a sprain in my hand a soreness in the A2.  With massage and some Tiger Balm it went away within a week or so.  If its still there after 2 weeks (plus reduced climbing) go see a Physio not a Dr who will know fuck all.

Let me know how things go

D

the_dom

• forum abuser
    • The Blog
#3 am i injured?
February 04, 2005, 05:19:10 am
Check this out - last night I was training, pulled quite hard on a small 2 finger pocket and felt pain through my wrist and up my forearm. I shook it out and it didn't feel bad at all, so I carried on climbing (with no pain, not even on small crimps/anything).

When I got home, it was a bit sore, but I had a bath and it went away.

However, when I woke up this morning it hurt like bejeesus, and still does. And yet, if I crimp, it doesn't.

WTF is it on about?

Danny

• junky
#4 am i injured?
February 04, 2005, 11:17:02 am
Sounds like you've pulled/torn your tendon, this kind of injury is typical of open handed moves using pockets.
Try hanging something open handed as opposed to crimping to see where the damage is, injury from crimping is usually to the pulleys rather than the tendons

dave

#5 am i injured?
February 04, 2005, 11:25:46 am
its gods way of telling you to always crimp. listen to the man,

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 am i injured?
February 04, 2005, 11:27:06 am
Quote from: "Danny"
Sounds like you've pulled/torn your tendon, this kind of injury is typical of open handed moves using pockets.
Try hanging something open handed as opposed to crimping to see where the damage is, injury from crimping is usually to the pulleys rather than the tendons

...that's right

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#7 am i injured?
February 04, 2005, 12:00:14 pm
Picked up a similar injury open hand undercutting on a pocket some years back.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#8 am i injured?
February 04, 2005, 12:23:55 pm
Quote from: "Bonjoy"
Picked up a similar injury open hand undercutting on a pocket some years back.

Me too -it hurt like buggery way up my forearm rather than in the hand too.

Scouse D

• forum hero
#9 am i injured?
February 04, 2005, 12:24:13 pm
So did I. This sort of injury will respond very well to ice/ibuprofen as long as you ain't snapped the tendon.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal