UKBouldering.com

Beach Bouldering (Read 5198 times)

Chick

Beach Bouldering
October 10, 2002, 06:15:42 pm
Someone posted about how good, the South West coastal beaches are for bouldering, so where do you find a proper guide for it?

underground

• forum hero
#1 Beach Bouldering
October 10, 2002, 06:24:28 pm
Hmm, dunno about this one. There are route guidebooks for Devon and Cornwall etc, but I'd have to dig them out to see if there was any bouldering mentioned. I hung my harness up long ago!

I know an old copy of OTE had a bit by Jimbo Kimber about Portland bouldering, but that's not really SW I suppose.....

Try this as it seems to be the best SW climbing site- there's stuff about hard Devon bouldering on it:

javu.co.uk

There's link off this site too, you could probably mail them for more info....

'twould be interesting to see what's on offer- before I gave up on ropes, I had some wicked days out on Bosigran and Chair Ladder etc. Beautiful place....

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Beach Bouldering
October 12, 2002, 06:35:19 pm
Stu Littlefair is probably yer man for this sort of info i reckon...

The Bear

screwyouI'mfromderby

• regular
#4 Beach Bouldering
October 15, 2002, 09:19:05 am
There are some good quality problems on the beaches at Sennen, and despite living in the middle of the country I still climb there from time to time.

I''ll post some photos when I get back from the next trip in a couple of weeks.

If anyone wants to give me a home while I help write a coastal path guidebook then get in touch.

stu littlefair

#5 Beach Bouldering
October 15, 2002, 05:20:14 pm
Oooh, all these buttons are just too confusing.

Anyway, the beaches are sweet for bouldering, provided you like a fairly even mix of bouldering and chilling, as you can tick most of the problems in any venue in a couple of hours (if you're a beast).

There is no guide to the beaches.  Random back copies of OTE have guides to various venues including Godrevy Point, Porthleven (Cornwall) and most venues in N Devon/Cornwall. Simon Young is thinking of producing a guide, but work has not begun in earnest.

Given this, if you're still keen the best venues in terms of how easy the stuff to find are Godrevy Point (the surfing is to the right, looking out, of the big surfing beach) and Northcott Mouth.

There are online topos to some of the N Devon venues at www.sportland-project.com

If you want harder problems (high 6 up) then Upton Roofs and Hartland Quay are good venues. There are also a few significant projects still left, but I aint telling you where.

If you need any more advice, email stuart.littlefair@btinternet.com

Anonymous

#6 Beach Bouldering
October 15, 2002, 05:25:13 pm
sorry  :(

that should be www.thesportlandproject.com

Chick

#7 Beach Bouldering
October 17, 2002, 02:11:35 pm
Thanks for all the info, I was kind of hoping that their might me a topo or mini guide available on the web or direct from Simon about Northcott and surrounding areas.  It looks like I'll have to dig out that old copy of OTE!

Thank for the help though! :D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal