UKBouldering.com

Lost Arrow Masters bouldering competition report (Read 6006 times)

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
The second Masters team bouldering comp took place on Saturday 1st March at the Edge wall in Sheffield. The comp takes a different approach to most  as entrants compete in teams - each of four men, two women. There were 20 problem 'stations' in all, some that were unisex and some with either extra holds for the women or an entirely different problem altogether. To add a tactical dimension to proceedings women could opt to climb a mans problem for double the points and men could opt for the womens problems at half the points. And tactics would prove to be the order of the day with some of the elite men opting for the womens problems and vice versa.

There were three different rooms each with a circuit of problems to go at, the bouldering wall had two circuits (hence the congestion), there was a circuit in the main wall and there was one in the woodie - with four roof problems taking in the full length of the woodie ceiling...

An excellent (and tactical) performance from the Moon team (Ben Moon, Nic Sellars, Dave Musgrove, Miles Gibson, Jo Gordon and Catherine Schirrmacher) saw them trounce the Scarpa team's hopes of success by nearly 50 points, Gaz's A5 team were hot on Scarpa's heels (b'dum tschh!!), followed by Prana and La Sportiva in fifth. Full results courtesy of CragX.

Individually, Lucy Creamer (scarpa) walked it with 175 of a possible 200, Sadie Renwick (A5-5.10) was second and Jo Gordon (moon) came third. In the mens event Ben Moon (guess!) won with an incredible 190, Andy Earl (Scarpa) second and Nic Sellars (Moon) third. Big Malc was injured and Steve Maclure wowed the watching crowd by managing to land on his face from the top of the bouldering wall. Hero of the day - Ben Moon. He is just awesome!

A very long and very tiring day was finished off by supping beers courtesy of the PlanetFear boys before a party at the R&R bar on London Road, where non other than our own FatBoySlimFast was on the ones and twos. This roving reporter was close to passing out from the PlanetFear beer at this point and went home to eat Lard, but am assured it was a good do.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Full list of results at cragx.com.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
Can I just add a big Thank You to everybody who helped me out making the competition a success - especially Big Stone, the marshalls, Dirty Ronnie, the Darwin Weasel, and obviously all the competitors who turned up! It was an excellent crack (in the woodie roof!), and I may even be tempted to run another one at some point, but don't ask me for a bit 'cos I'm knackered!!!
Cheers
 :D

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
eh? I was doing around 100mph on the M40 and then drunk wit me bruvs and sisters by that time.......sure it was me percy?

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
Sorry not percy, Dobbin
nah wasant me matey....have been ousted from that gig

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Quote from: "Percy B"
the Darwin Weasel
 :D

HA HA HA HAH AHHAHAHHA - Now that is funny! For anyone who wasn't there, Mr Bishton made another amusing comment at the start of the comp referring to the Weasel, I hope it sticks, its very very funny. Especially if you know him!

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Give us a clue Dobbin...

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Ok, I'm not going to tell you straight out - here are some clues:-

He was brought up in Darwen, Lancs and has been at the forefront of British (and world) Competition climbing in one guise or another for many years. He's no one trick pony, he's many E8's under his belt as well as loads of hard sport routes, more recently him and his bezzie mate have been building a new climbing wall in the North East...

???

dave

"???" indeed.

This deserves a big fat WTF?

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
IAN VICKERS YOU DUNCES!!!!

dave

I know its I.V., i just thought you were giving a clue relating to the "other amusing comment"!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Ah. Theres a minor problem there in that I can't actually remember what it was that he said. Percy was telling us all the rules and made some comment referring to Ian as the 'Weasel', which at the time was very witty and made everyone laugh. You had to be there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal