UKBouldering.com

Pilates (Read 2431 times)

dave k

• obsessive maniac
Pilates
January 17, 2005, 05:28:30 pm
My chiropracter recommended this:

Combining some pilates exercises into my training. I have put off core body strength training for years and know my body tension is shite. Works well as i do them as 10min rests between bouldering exercises. Already seeing improvement on the wall and find my feet stay on the small srew ons.

Give it a go.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Pilates
January 17, 2005, 05:43:00 pm
Give us some example exercises then.... i've no idea what pilates entails.

andy bowie

• regular
#2 Pilates
January 17, 2005, 08:28:16 pm
yeah man i'll vote for pilates. every monday for an hour. Abbs of steel. But the biffer lasses are so much better than i'll ever be. Its focusing on pulling your stomach in between the hips; pulling shoulders back and down and breathing proper like - and doing loads of body tension style exercises linking different 'exercises' together.
Its the new plyometrics.

saltbeef

• forum hero
#3 Pilates
January 17, 2005, 09:48:58 pm
i went to a session, the woman in charge assured me i'd feel my abs the next day. i didn't and didn't go back... it's not gonna be as core as doing front levers.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#4 Pilates
January 17, 2005, 10:02:27 pm
I think pilates is more suitable to body alignment, which is a good think for arm dragging apes like us!

As far as specific core strength relating to climbing I have my doubts.  As SaltySeaman says front levers are the way forward.

andy bowie

• regular
#5 Pilates
January 17, 2005, 10:09:35 pm
yeah man - i was the hunchback. Now i am merely slightly deformed.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#6 Pilates
January 17, 2005, 10:41:55 pm
The bells the bells...............

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#7 Pilates
January 17, 2005, 11:11:05 pm
nope, this is hardcore:

Basically a support hold is simply holding yourself up on the rings with straight arms. Eventually, to perform these in the most productive manner, they should be done with elbows straight (almost straight is still bent) and the hands turned out to 45 degrees. To visualize this, simply put your hands overhead in a chinup grip and, keeping that grip position, lower your hands to your side and then let them turn in slightly.

For beginning ring strength development I would focus on support holds, front levers, and back levers. Once reasonable proficiency is achieved in support holds, then add dips which in turn progress to muscle ups which progress to handstand pushups which progress to reverse muscle ups (basically a bodyweight curl followed by a handstand pushup).

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-coaches/sommer/article006.htm

And this sounds perfect for training addicts:

The rings will move anywhere & anytime within 360 degrees. And the direction they will move will always be toward your weakest area.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal