UKBouldering.com

Who inspires you? (Read 3495 times)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 01:26:52 pm
Which boulderers inspire you, whether by their attitude or by their achievments?

I'm going to be boring and say John Gill .

I like the way that although he trained hard,  specifically applying gymnastic training methods to his bouldering, he was never on a quest for pure difficulty, and was equally concerned with the style of ascent, and the meditiative aspects of the sport.

Nigel

• forum hero
#1 Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 01:34:04 pm
John Gaskins.

I grew up climbing (and attempting, well, mainly attempting!) his problems in North Lancs. What he acheived up there in complete isolation is certainly inspirational and embodies the ideals of climbing for the love of it (no Peak willy waving here!), and challenging yourself to climb as hard as you can. Total "soul motivation"...

dave

#2 Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 01:37:10 pm
I would say:

Big Ron, cos he's great, (even if he did chip that hold on One Step Beyond)

Dave Graham, if only cos he looks like a runt but cranks like a mule.

Would say Dawes but he's too far up his own arse!

Also the quiet ones/dark horses like Tim Clifford, John Gaskins, Mo, Matt Birch etc cos they go about it without spraying all the time about how they did this V10 in 6 tries and this V11 in 32 minutes etc etc like all the young sponsor-slags do these days. Rant over!

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#3 Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 01:51:14 pm
Definitely Tim Clifford, having been fortunate enough to work with his missus, and thus get to know him, he is an awesome climber, he has really good style and when he goes for it you know he is really trying, whilst guys like big Malc seem to never get close to his limit (sure he does really). And I have personally touched his arse.

Ben Moon as well, for being awesome, and a nice fella.

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
#4 Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 01:51:54 pm
I've never touched Ben Moon's arse. Yet.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#5 Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 02:11:32 pm
Tim's a nice lad, met him on NortonSharley's stag bash - certainly not a bragger and was looking mutant strong at the Leeds wall.

There's people like Pete Kirton who never really bothered training or even doing that much climbing, but just occasionally burst out and do the hardest problems about.

I can't wait to get over to the Lakes to see how nasty hard Gaskin's creations look...coz I sure as hell won't be able to get on any of them.

Fatboy - you there? Yorkshire or a bit of Lakes limestone this w/e perhaps?

Greg C

• forum hero
#6 Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 04:04:21 pm
I'd say Tom Walkington is the most inspiring climber of all time because he looks like Yoda and I can`t think of anyone more inspiring than Yoda!
"Away put your weapon, I mean you no harm!"
"When nine hundred years old you are not so good you will look...Hmm?"

Apart from possibly Micky out of Rocky!
"Your gonna murder that bum!"

T.H.

• obsessive maniac
#7 Who inspires you?
February 27, 2003, 05:55:06 pm
Got to be Jon Gaskins for me.  He didn't start taking climbing too seriously until he was quite old, like me, and then proved you don't need to have climbed since you where about six to be one of the best.  Although my acheivements haven't been quite so successful, but watch this space!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal