UKBouldering.com

Powerballs (Read 2249 times)

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
Powerballs
December 28, 2004, 06:58:37 pm
These any good? Apparently climbing is listed as one of the sports that benefits from using them. And they can exert up to 40lbs on your arm, which sounds pretty extreme. Has anyone tried using one? I was wondering if they might be good excersise for an injured arm.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=powerball&page=search&Go.x=23&Go.y=7

Introducing Powerball - one of the most unique and dynamic products available on the web today - 8 world records and counting!

Powerball is a dynamic and completely revolutionary new gyroscope that literally explodes with mind numbing torque and inertia once you activate its internal rotor.

It's about the same size as a tennis ball and weighs just a little more, but take a Powerball in your hand, set that rotor in motion with the cord provided (or use your finger when you get used to it) and you'll experience an extraordinary sensation:

Power ball slowly comes alive with gyroscopic force - a sublime yet pleasant resistance to your movement which is transmitted directly into your wrist and arms and which provides soothing, non impact rehabilitation at these lower speeds.

You want more?

Take it higher...much higher!

Bring your new Powerball up...up to 10,000rpm...the forces are now much stronger, much more vibrant. Higher! Take it to 12,000rpm...no, higher still...take it right up, thrashing and jerking as your arm and wrist try to control and calm it down, faster and faster it spins until you have it up to an unbelievable 15,000rpm at which point it's exerting almost 40lbs of pressure on your limbs and is travelling at nearly 250 revolutions per second - no batteries, no motor, just pure gyroscopic power - the fastest human propelled device ever created!

r-man

• forum hero
#1 Powerballs
January 18, 2005, 10:53:12 pm
Found this review on zebloc, which seems to be quite an enthusiastic thumbs up. Interesting that they say it would be good for warming up or keeping forearms warm during breaks. Here are some excerpts (translated by google):

Powerball is in fact an apparatus of reinforcement and musculation of the upper limbs effective and festif, which is quite rare...  

When one succeeded in obtaining a fluid movement and that one does not intend jolts to come from Powerball, one gradually reduces the diameter of the circles and one intends the spinning top then to accelerate by making a noise of small very pleasant engine...  But while the spinning top accelerates, the efforts required are increasingly significant and it is there one of the interests of the animal!  

But Powerball can be used at other ends:  heating, recovery and even musculation of certain muscles:  according to the position of the arm, one can make work either the front armlever (in various manners according to the position of the fingers on Powerball), or bicepses, or shoulders...  

It is really effective to warm up for continuity for example, even if that does not replace a meeting of climbs.  A very interesting object thus, even if the price is a little high (40 euros the first price).

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#2 Powerballs
January 19, 2005, 12:39:20 pm
Good fun to play with, gets your arm right tired, but for me it works the back of my arm, not my forearms. Not sure if I use it wrong though. Have a look on ukc, it was talked about a lot about 6 months ago.

Not convinced about power gains compared to other training methods either. Mine has now got quite noisy, so can't really use it when watching telly or anything.

r-man

• forum hero
#3 Powerballs
January 19, 2005, 03:02:22 pm
This is interesting:

"Using a Powerball won't improve grip strength for a climber. However
it does appear to tone the opposing muscles (extensors) on the back
of the forearm, so it may be of benefit for injury prevention.
Long sessions (>20 mins)alternating hands (1 min each) may improve
capillary density in the forearms.
Additionally, last year I had some soreness and stiffness in the
finger joints. A few minutes with a Powerball provided instant
relief, whereas similar easy exercise sqeezing a soft ball did not.
Possibly something to do with the vibration perhaps."

Comes from:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/trainingforclimbing/message/300
(though you have to register)

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#4 Powerballs
January 19, 2005, 03:41:06 pm
got one of these while recovering from busting me'sen, reckon they're pretty cool to play with though I'd be doubtful whether there's any decent benefit you'd get out of it.

Cranking it over 10k revs is pretty easy, but anything over about 12k I've always had to do in bursts.

One thing if you've never used one before - there's a proper knack to getting them going - took me a whole car journey from Llanberis - Derby to work mine out! Oh, and watch out for getting your skin caught inbetween the ball and the casing...it hurts rather a lot  :shock:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal