UKBouldering.com

Stretching Routine ? (Read 3648 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Stretching Routine ?
December 14, 2004, 03:51:02 pm
I've come to a gradual realisation that my hip inflexibility is something of a weak spot and I'd probably get better results out of a few more inches bridging and being able to get my hips in closer to the rock than I would being able to extract more Wattage from my muscles...

The problem for me is that stretching is just so boring and unstructured so does anyone have a good structured approach to stretching their hips that they would like to share?

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#1 Stretching Routine ?
December 14, 2004, 04:18:54 pm
I know exactly what you mean. Flexibility is highly underrated. I once spent a month building up enough flexibility to touch my toes. Now I can`t get near them. I think the answer is to do stretches every day. But its just soo tedious.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Stretching Routine ?
December 14, 2004, 04:28:31 pm
try standing straight and attempting to knee your shoulder really hard. the goal is to a) hurt yourself, and b) get more flexible for summert. i only do it at crag.

it works i reckon. the next level is to simultaneously heel yoself in the arse at the same time.

Paz

• junky
#3 Stretching Routine ?
December 14, 2004, 05:14:25 pm
Try to step your heel on the sink in the morning when you're brushing your teeth.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#4 Stretching Routine ?
December 14, 2004, 09:09:25 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I know it's boring, but plain old stretching every night is the way forward. My flexibility has increased and my on sight-grade has gone up as a result of doing this for the last couple of months.
Reward in itself?

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#5 Stretching Routine ?
December 14, 2004, 10:07:26 pm
but plain old stretching every night is the way forward

So what stretches do you do, and how long do you hold them for?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#6 Stretching Routine ?
December 15, 2004, 12:34:19 pm
Quote from: "r-man"
but plain old stretching every night is the way forward

So what stretches do you do, and how long do you hold them for?

Yeah C'mon... spill the beans on your routine or are you too ashamed to tell us the 'special' positions that you use as motivation ;-)

AndyR

• forum hero
#7 Re: Stretching Routine ?
December 15, 2004, 01:09:31 pm
Quote from: "Falling Down"
I've come to a gradual realisation that my hip inflexibility is something of a weak spot .....

Do you think not being able to bridge wider than your shoulders is slowing you down? :lol:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#8 Re: Stretching Routine ?
December 15, 2004, 01:33:01 pm
Quote from: "AndyR"
Quote from: "Falling Down"
I've come to a gradual realisation that my hip inflexibility is something of a weak spot .....

Do you think not being able to bridge wider than your shoulders is slowing you down? :lol:

:oops:

at least I can touch my toes...

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#9 Stretching Routine ?
December 15, 2004, 01:53:03 pm
I don't know medical terms and am not an expert, but I can give a description of what works for me. The routine was initially inspired by the series of articles in Climber about Yoga and I always try and start a stretch with a couple of minutes of breathing excercises just to try and relax everywhere. I have an all-over shake out before starting to stretch. Then I stretch both arms upwards to their full extension and hold for about 1 min, then shake out remembering to breathe all the time. Then just follow that routine (hold position 1min, breathe and shake out) for the following stretches:

1) hold left elbow with right hand and reach left hand as far round the back of the neck as possible and repeat with the other arm.

2) put left arm behind head and push down with right arm on left elbow then repeat with other arm.

3) stretch both arms behind you, hands together, raising them as high as possible.

Legs require a slightly different approach due to the size of the muscles involved.

1) touch toes; you may not make the toes first go (this doesn't matter, you'll get there eventually) but it is important to do this excercise slowly and hold the lowest position possible for a minimum of ten seconds, then slowly come up. Repeat this five times, aiming to ultimately be able to put both palms on the floor! (Haven't quite got there yet!)

2) Hamstring stretch; bring right heel up to touch buttocks and hold position for at least 1 min. Alternate legs and repeat.

And thats it really. No kama sutra positions, just plain old stretching as I said! It works for me and only takes twenty minutes. I have an eccentric Great Aunt of 80 who can still touch her toes and swears by a similar routine   :worthy:

ned

• menacing presence
#10 Stretching Routine ?
December 15, 2004, 08:48:44 pm
just get into the habit of streching every day. After climbing/training focus on the upper body, and on other days focus on the legs. Also do it after a bath / shower and you will already be warmed up.

ned

• menacing presence
#11 Stretching Routine ?
December 15, 2004, 08:50:48 pm
also count in breaths, not seconds and breath deeply to relax you.

Paz

• junky
#12 Stretching Routine ?
December 16, 2004, 02:27:05 pm
Quote from: "ned"
Also do it after a bath / shower and you will already be warmed up.

Won't you be wet though?

ned

• menacing presence
#13 Stretching Routine ?
December 16, 2004, 04:53:46 pm
:roll:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal