UKBouldering.com

!#?@ing computers (Read 4011 times)

Gad

• regular
!#?@ing computers
December 10, 2004, 05:46:32 pm
Playing a game on my PC (Football Manager 2005) when, a warning pops up saying 'memory is dangerously low, make some space' (or summink like that) but on the box it says 'recommended 256mb RAM' and my computer is 512mb RAM. What the hell is going on!? Should i make more memory available? if so how?
Thank you

ian h

• forum abuser
#1 !#?@ing computers
December 10, 2004, 07:01:53 pm
have you got a lot of apps open ?

or loads of stuff  in your tray ?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 !#?@ing computers
December 11, 2004, 10:21:26 am
This may help.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#3 Re: !#?@ing computers
January 13, 2016, 05:58:29 pm
Resurected as the title just sums up my day (try configuring ports on a BT router, BT are wankers).

I have a touchscreen EPOS system on which all customer data is stored.

Actually, had. Past tense.

I'd always intended to put an external drive on it for back up, somehow; never did...

Turns out, that although it's Windows based (2000), and although I'd partitioned the drive and set up a back-up on the partition; if the screen dies you can't get in.

Also, climbing walls are, apparently, really fricken bad for PCs.
The amount of chalk removed from the drive, power supply and cooling fins (various) was scary.

It also seems that, if the screen is enabled, the mouse and external keyboard are disabled.

There is no realistic method to attach an external monitor and I can't see the device on the network. The hard drive seems to be chugging away, however, with no screen, it's impossible to complete the startup to get the damn thing on the network.

Can I just pull out the hard drive, put it in a caddy and pull the files off?

Anyone have a clue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy_e

• forum hero
#4 Re: !#?@ing computers
January 13, 2016, 06:41:56 pm
Yes.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#5 Re: !#?@ing computers
January 13, 2016, 09:22:12 pm
Yes.

You will be able to get the data. There's a good chance it will be that simple.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#6 Re: !#?@ing computers
January 14, 2016, 12:47:13 pm
Ta! [emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomtom

• forum hero
#7 Re: !#?@ing computers
January 14, 2016, 05:34:52 pm
Wappened?

cha1n

• forum hero
#8 Re: !#?@ing computers
January 14, 2016, 06:27:28 pm
Hard to work out what state it's in now from your post. So you think the system has booted but the monitor is dead, so you can't tell for sure? Or you can only choose between monitor only or external keyboard+mouse?

When I was network admin of the industrial IT network on the factory floor of Rolls-Royce we had to regularly change out the filters on the PSUs as that was the cause of 90% of the downtime on PCs. I recommend changing them regularly!

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
#9 !#?@ing computers
January 14, 2016, 07:03:12 pm
Hard to work out what state it's in now from your post. So you think the system has booted but the monitor is dead, so you can't tell for sure? Or you can only choose between monitor only or external keyboard+mouse?

When I was network admin of the industrial IT network on the factory floor of Rolls-Royce we had to regularly change out the filters on the PSUs as that was the cause of 90% of the downtime on PCs. I recommend changing them regularly!

It's pushing up copious daisies.

We already knew that if the touchscreen was enabled, the mouse port and keyboard port were disabled; after the last time the screen failed...

I could probably hook a monitor onto the ribbon connector, but without mouse or keyboard; I'd only know if it had booted up or not.

The fact that I can't see it on the network, suggests not.

These Epos systems are incredibly expensive, even secondhand and ten years out of date like ours.

At time of purchase it was the best solution, since then things moved on and I've replaced the whole system with a secondhand iPad (S.H. iPad £100, Epos system (recon) £1200, new screen for Epos ~£250) and we can do more with the iPad.

So it's just the data.

PCs and laptops last weeks only at the Bunker. Anything with a cooling fan dies rapidly. We 've replaced it all with old iPhones and iPads. So streaming music/vids/tv, admin, till functions, customer databases et al are done on tablets. The only PCs left are mine and Polly's in the office upstairs where the effluent of sweaty climbers cannot penetrate.

And this after the dust extraction system was fitted!

Anyway, drive out and off to be read and all stuff from now on backed up to our personal cloud and server...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal