UKBouldering.com

Hermits Cave - Chatsworth (Read 3720 times)

simone

• regular
Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 02, 2004, 01:02:12 pm
I have heard bits about hermits cave at chatsworth - has anyone been? If so whats the climbing like?

How do you get to the cave?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1 Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 02, 2004, 07:08:56 pm
Not much on the cave itself - a few short routes and an iron fence. You might be thinkin of the cave at Robin Hood's stride which has a couple of good problems

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#2 Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 02, 2004, 07:11:16 pm
Its the cave with the cage around it at the LH side of the crag itself. Inside the cage is  some Jesus carvings, to the right is some ok-ish bouldering mostly on ancient chipped slots and rails. A bit further right are a couple of nice wall probs.

simone

• regular
#3 Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 06, 2004, 08:48:01 am
Cool, thanks guys.  :)

Nigel

• forum hero
#4 Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 06, 2004, 11:36:02 am
I'm confused - it seems like JB and Bonjoy are talking about Cratcliffe, which houses the only Hermit's Cave AFAIK. Simone, do you really mean Chatsworth, or Cratcliffe? Or "in the Chatsworth guide"? You might be disappointed if you look for this at Chatsworth crag that's all!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#5 Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 06, 2004, 01:38:34 pm
Oh aye, I only just noticed that. Bain't no bouldering caves at Chatsworth.

pete D

#6 Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 08, 2004, 02:29:27 pm
Talkin about bouldering at Chatsworth, I climbed a couple of worthwhile problems there recently.

The first is an obvious hanging arete that may have been done before on a small buttress up above Emerald Crack and is climbed on the left at about V3.

The second is found about 30 feet to the right of this (facing in) and climbs a short 45 degree overhanging boulder split by a discontinuous crack.  Its about V4/5 from a sit start using the crack and the right arete and finishes by slapping around to the right of the arete.  An eliminate using only the crack would be possible but pretty hard.  

Unlike the routes at the crag, these dry quick and don't get green.

simone

• regular
#7 Hermits Cave - Chatsworth
December 09, 2004, 01:46:04 pm
Sorry, think I got a bit confused. The problems at Chatsworth sound cool tho, good that they don't get green :) especially at the moment

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal