UKBouldering.com

Kids' circuits in Yorkshire/elsewhere (Read 684 times)

PeteHukb

• player
Kids' circuits in Yorkshire/elsewhere
April 08, 2024, 08:08:27 pm
Just back from giving my kids their first taste of Fontainebleau. (Beyond crap weather but we still had a good time.) I really liked the designation of some of the kids' circuits as being for specific ages eg the 5-9yrs circuit at Canches aux Merciers, or the 3yrs+ circuit at La Feullardiere.

Has anyone bothered to make something similar (sans paint on rock, obvs) anywhere in the UK? If not, my four-year-old and I might try.

Shipley Glen and Brimham being obvious starting points.

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
I documented a load of stuff up the top of Shipley Glen, just above Woods Wall area that both of my two enjoy whenever we go... I'll see if I can send it via DM to you.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
No guide or anything but West Nab is amazing for kids, so many smaller blocs to explore. Only a short walk from the road and lovely views. Just don't go on a cold day with much wind!

tommytwotone

• forum hero
Sent you a DM PeteH - if you haven't had it post here and I'll work out an alternative!

dave k

• obsessive maniac
My daughter and I had the same idea a couple of years back - we thought it would be great if a group of keen families developed a circuit each and then shared them. We cleaned up a circuit of boulders around the back of Baldstones which were low level and suited to 4-8 year olds, but never got round to putting together a topo. Also did some development but not a circuit at Wolf Edge. Got side tracked by comps and now she is 11 and climbing adult problems so forgot about the idea. Would be happy to contribute a circuit if others got psyched to do the same.

PeteHukb

• player
Thanks all. Looking forward to seeing what Tom has done so far. If anyone else feels inspired to make a little kids circuit topo for their local crag, we could bring them together via this thread and I'm sure Will would host them on Unknown Stones?

tommytwotone

• forum hero
You should have mail Pete - pretty sure I did send that over to Will when I did it ages back but it's a good idea.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
Yeah, I'm sure you sent this to me and then for some reason I never got round to uploading it. I'll have a look.

Kids circuits are tricky as there is so much variation within the "kid" category. One of the biggest struggles with finding things for my eldest has been finding stuff that is of an easy enough angle (but not too easy-angled), of a decent height (but not too high), and of a suitable difficulty. Often she'll not be able to reach between holds as she's quite little. She's nearly 7 now and I'd say she's just getting the hang of it, whereas the Ibbotsons were probably knocking on the door of 8a at her age!

Sartree Crag on Unknown Stones (in the Carncliff Top South guide) is probably a good place to explore.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal