UKBouldering.com

Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown (Read 703 times)

joe-m

Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown
April 05, 2024, 03:38:08 pm
Hi all partly inspired by the similar recommendations thread I'm looking to plan a trip for bouldering at some point in the not too distant future. I was wondering if anyone had the lowdown on when to go where to stay if you can hire pads, any access issues etc. Would be looking to go with my partner who prefers the warmer end of things so would be looking to climb at 15-20 degrees C rather than 5-10. 

clclark

#1 Re: Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown
April 06, 2024, 01:27:23 pm
Didn't reply on the other thread as forgot all the problems. Went last year at the start June and rained pretty much every day but dried within an hour so could climb each day still. I think it was warm then and would continue to be throughout the summer but the weather would likely be a bit better in September. We stayed in an Airbnb just above Val Masino. Was a really nice location and not too far a walk to the boulders there but an hour and a half to Val di Mello itself. The area is massive! Can camp at Sasso Remenno closer to Val Masino or Ground Jack in Val di Mello. Hired pads from Fiorelli Sport in San Martino, not too expensive and very friendly. I don't remember any access issues for the popular spots but worth checking the guide (Mello Boulder). Food was very expensive up in the valleys so worth doing a shop in Morbegno. Let me know if you have any other questions!

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown
April 06, 2024, 04:48:31 pm
Outdoor/mountain centre does 1euro coffee and nice ice cream. Also hire bouldering pads and has boulders in the back garden.

Apart from that I can't really remember what I climbed. Loads to do in all styles though in a stunning location.

joe-m

#3 Re: Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown
April 07, 2024, 10:32:15 am
Thanks both your info, clclark, when you say it was warm do you mean unbearably hot can’t climb or just not prefect send temps?

I’ve got the mello boulder book and couldn’t quite work out what it meant regarding access to some of the bouldering id val di mello itself it says something about not climbing on blocks in the hay medows after the end of April but I can’t work out if this is all the boulders or just a few specific ones.

lemony

• player
#4 Re: Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown
April 07, 2024, 10:58:00 am
One of the nice things is that there's a massive range of altitudes so as you know it was 40-45 degrees in the valleys when we went and we could still drive up to bolt clip in Val Poschiavina where it was jumpers weather. Not sure that holds quite so well for bouldering but there's a lot of options if you're flexible.

Give me a shout if you need any of the other guides/maps.

clclark

#5 Re: Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown
April 07, 2024, 06:00:32 pm
I would say it was just not perfect send temps, slightly humid thunderstorm kind of weather. Though there was a reasonable amount of fluctuation, as lemony said there was a reasonable difference between the lower and higher areas.
For the access I think those hay meadows were away from the main boulders so think we just avoided them?

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
#6 Re: Val di Mello/Val Masino Lowdown
April 08, 2024, 05:50:44 am
I’ve got the mello boulder book and couldn’t quite work out what it meant regarding access to some of the bouldering id val di mello itself it says something about not climbing on blocks in the hay medows after the end of April but I can’t work out if this is all the boulders or just a few specific ones.

This confused me a bit too - but having read further it seems more specific to a few of the areas in Val di Mello rather than the entire valley, with mention of the access stuff in the intro sections for those areas where the post-April ban on climbing seems to be in effect (i'll prob just double check with the gear shop when i hit them up for hire of an extra pad or two)   

I'm prob targeting the first/second week of June (5-6th onwards for 4 or 5 days or thereabouts) so drop me a DM if that overlaps your trip and you're on the lookout for extra pads / spotters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal