UKBouldering.com

South Lancashire crags (Read 876 times)

chosshunter

• youtube
South Lancashire crags
March 05, 2024, 12:44:32 pm
I'm hoping to do some Lancashire bouldering this weekend if the weather holds. Wilton, Brownstones, or Longridge seem the obvious choices, but I'm hard pressed to find guidebooks or topos for any. Robin Mueller's guide is out of stock everywhere and every topo link I've found online is long dead. I can always cobble together a plan from ukc and youtube, but I like having lines to follow. Does anyone have something they'd be willing to share?

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#1 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 05, 2024, 02:19:03 pm
I can send you some photos. Drop me a PM.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#2 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 05, 2024, 02:35:59 pm
In case it's any help, Northern Rock ( :ang: ) has got Longridge and Brownstones in but no other Lancs bouldering.

chosshunter

• youtube
#3 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 05, 2024, 02:42:34 pm
Thanks, Will. I saw there was only one copy left on the BMC shop so I picked it up.

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#4 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 05, 2024, 10:01:10 pm
For a first visit, I think Brownstones is good. I'm sure there used to be a website out there with topos - but maybe it was taken down when the guide was produced.

I've been enjoying climbing at Stronstrey Bank recently. Lovely spot, and some good problems. But less to get on. Depends on how hard you are climbing really.

Happy to send photos too if you need it. And post up where you are heading when you know, and I might see if I can pop out too.

submaximal gains

• player
#5 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 05, 2024, 11:46:36 pm
I've got a pdf of the Longridge bouldering. PM me your email and I'll send it to you.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#6 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 06, 2024, 06:06:49 am
https://www.lakesbloc.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/guides/longridge-guide.pdf

Looks to be pre ground lowering but should be easy enough to cross reference with ukc to work out whats what

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#7 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 06, 2024, 11:16:56 am
Longridge is well covered in Lancs Rock I think (my copy is in the car miles away!) and there's loads further north in Lakes Bouldering and Lakesbloc. From left field Windy Clough is ace: https://www.lakesbloc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/guides/windy_clough_surrounding_areas_bouldering_guide.pdf

tomtom

• forum hero
#8 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 06, 2024, 02:26:48 pm
If the weathers nice and you don't mind a 30 min walk in I'd recommend Blackstone Edge above all the other options. Lovely spot - hundreds of problems. Arranged along an edge - so whilst tricky in places to navigate where stuff is in online guides - it is more or less all along a N-S line so you can't go too far wrong etc... If its windy - don't go.

Brownstones is fine - but its polished quarried grit - alot of good problems, history and tradition - but also shine.. Wiltons are 5 min down the road as well. For Wiltons 2-4 they are shared use with gun clubs. Sunday is a shooting day - but if you visit on Sat its climbers have preference. Wilton 1 is owned by the BMC so no issues with the shooting clubs.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#9 Re: South Lancashire crags
March 06, 2024, 05:18:46 pm
Blackstone is blummin lovely. If it was in the peak, people would be all over it. Funnily enough I went Sunday to search for a drying wind :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal