UKBouldering.com

Buying weights (Read 1160 times)

JJP

• addict
Buying weights
February 24, 2024, 05:24:24 pm
Hey

Any recommendations for buying weights?
I have been using a few set weight dumbbells (the rubbery ones) and have some very old york concrete weights ( :lol:) but needing a bit more and would like ability to add over time.
For dumbbells are the iron plates best option?
Any recommended sources, for example see decathlon do some.

Cheers

Paul B

• forum hero
#1 Re: Buying weights
February 24, 2024, 05:26:34 pm
Mirafit. I've bought some cheaper stuff and wish I'd spent a bit more.

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: Buying weights
February 25, 2024, 12:15:13 am
Don't get the Decathlon ones - they use a non standard diameter of 28mm, so not compatible with standard 1-inch or olympic 2-inch plates

stone

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Buying weights
February 25, 2024, 07:53:41 am
Can I chip in that I have used a set of decathalon dumbbell handles and cast iron plates for over 10years (standard pack plus four 5kg plates that I bought individually). I've been oblivious to the fact that apparently they are crap. They weigh what they weigh. You can take the plates on. and off the handles. The handles are comfy. If that is all you want, be reassured you will get that.

slab_happy

• forum hero
#4 Re: Buying weights
February 25, 2024, 08:37:29 am
I suppose the issue is more that if you want to add on to what you've got, you have to keep buying Decathlon, whereas if you've got something that's a standard measurement, you can buy from way more places.

Obviously that's not an issue if you don't want to get more plates over time, or are happy to keep buying Decathlon.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#5 Re: Buying weights
February 25, 2024, 08:43:54 am
Mirafit. I've bought some cheaper stuff and wish I'd spent a bit more.

I second what Paul says. Mirafit. Have a look on FB marketplace, loads of bargains on there.

I don't rate rogue stuff but seems to have a cult following.

JJP

• addict
#6 Re: Buying weights
February 25, 2024, 01:30:33 pm
Thanks folks

The mirafit looks good quality and has loads of different options for what to buy size and weight wise so looks ideal.
Look to have options in standard 1 inch and one that is a little wider but will prob go with standard, like idea of it being straightforward to add to it over time. The stuff looks really robust.
Less keen on the look of the rogue stuff.

Cheers

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Buying weights
February 25, 2024, 01:38:55 pm
Thanks folks

The mirafit looks good quality and has loads of different options for what to buy size and weight wise so looks ideal.
Look to have options in standard 1 inch and one that is a little wider but will prob go with standard, like idea of it being straightforward to add to it over time. The stuff looks really robust.
Less keen on the look of the rogue stuff.

Cheers

Body Power is also a great brand to check out, I’ve got their bench and bars and they’re excellent quality!

Paul B

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal