UKBouldering.com

Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh (Read 3463 times)

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#25 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 03:57:22 pm
Boardroom - £15 - should be discounted heavily because you still have to put up with stupid moronic root-vegetable-based non-grades.
Manc Depot - £13.50
RockOvers - £13 - or £11 with a £10 yearly membership
Awesome Stockport / Blochaus / Summit Up / Onyx - still cheap ~£10
Hangar - irrelevant as boycotted due their their stupid moronic forcing people to sweat in excess clothing in an athletic training environment rule.

I just wear a shirt and unbotton it, still wearing a shirt  ;)

jakaitch

• regular
#26 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 05:00:25 pm
Hangar - irrelevant as boycotted due their their stupid moronic forcing people to sweat in excess clothing in an athletic training environment rule.

OT - TCA does this too now, idiots.

Doesn't bother me either way but I guess the idea was to make it a more inclusive, less boulder-bro-y environment?

rodma

• forum hero
#27 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 06:07:38 pm
It's "taps oan" at Eden Rock Edinburgh too.

There was definitely a lot of posturing, chest-beating choadery in display on the run up to the ban. Mostly from younger folk not reading the room, rather than old farts like me.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#28 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 06:57:55 pm
I look fantastic in a vest so it doesn't bother me really.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#29 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 07:20:36 pm

There was definitely a lot of posturing, chest-beating choadery in display on the run up to the ban. Mostly from younger folk not reading the room, rather than old farts like me.
Yeah particularly disappointed in Eden Rock as it was always a good wall(s) with good setting and good vibes (and I drove from the Weeg to Carlisle or Edinburgh fairly regularly because of that). As always the posturing, chest-beating choadery can be tackled by, errr, tackling the posturing, chest-beating choadery. Thankfully enough choice of different walls / chains in and around Manc that I'll move from one to another and hopefully be long dead before they all have this spurious, mis-targetted, issue-avoiding, token-gesture, training-inhibiting rule.

P.S. I'm with Chris and Will that more walls in the Stirling - Perth - Dundee - Deen area would be progressive.

jakaitch

• regular
#30 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 07:57:33 pm

Yeah particularly disappointed in Eden Rock as it was always a good wall(s) with good setting and good vibes (and I drove from the Weeg to Carlisle or Edinburgh fairly regularly because of that). As always the posturing, chest-beating choadery can be tackled by, errr, tackling the posturing, chest-beating choadery. Thankfully enough choice of different walls / chains in and around Manc that I'll move from one to another and hopefully be long dead before they all have this spurious, mis-targetted, issue-avoiding, token-gesture, training-inhibiting rule.

P.S. I'm with Chris and Will that more walls in the Stirling - Perth - Dundee - Deen area would be progressive.

'Training inhibiting' does it really impact you that much though?

abarro81

• forum hero
#31 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 08:04:47 pm
We've been through this all before, repeatedly, surely? Shortcut to the end point - there are, fortunately, enough walls for some to cater for people intimidated by tops off blokes.. and for others to cater to those who think climbing should not have stupid dress codes like golf.

scragrock

• obsessive maniac
#32 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 08:06:33 pm

Build yer own wall, get ootside.
I often boulder "Pants aff" as a counter balance{i have droopy auld man balls}, this is highly ineffective but i do enjoy the blushes of the local bobby as he carts me yet again back to his station for processing.

jakaitch

• regular
#33 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 08:22:43 pm
We've been through this all before, repeatedly, surely? Shortcut to the end point - there are, fortunately, enough walls for some to cater for people intimidated by tops off blokes.. and for others to cater to those who think climbing should not have stupid dress codes like golf.

Yes, I agree just find it odd boycotting a wall because they want you to wear a top

abarro81

• forum hero
#34 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 08:29:39 pm
I don't find it too odd. I find the rule pretty pathetic in theory, annoying in practice, and against the vibe I want from climbing. I've been to the Hanger since it opened in Sheffield, but I feel dirty paying money to a wall that has that as a rule and probably would have been more if they didn't have that rule. All power to those who do vote with their feet. But, since there are plenty of walls without this rule, it doesn't wind me up too much. If the foundry tried to introduce it I would be incandescent with rage I would be distinctly more militant in my opposition!

RobK

• stalker
#35 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 08:33:03 pm
The walls with this rule seems fine with girls in sport bras so in the warmer months I wear an old vest with the bottom off it. Gets a few odd looks but is cooler than a normal vest. In the temperature sense, certainly not in the fashion sense.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 08:43:25 pm by RobK »

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#36 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 09:25:25 pm
'Training inhibiting' does it really impact you that much though?
Yes. Quite a lot. I overheat easily when climbing and sweat a lot.

I also have a vast selection of vests that I'd much rather wear because 1. I am a bit overweight and 2. I'd much rather be repping Deathchant Records, Ingested, Behemoth, Tech Itch Recordings etc etc than my wobbling gut.

I've covered this well before and have nothing further to add to the case, m'lud.

(Sorry for the derail, entirely my fault, there is definitely a good bigger topic about wall density, wall pricing, etc)

stone

• forum abuser
#37 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 21, 2024, 09:30:08 pm
My impression is that people are spooked about setting up a new wall somewhere that doesn't already have other walls. I suppose building a new wall in eg Sheffield seems a safer bet than one in Doncaster or Castleford or Essex or Lincoln or wherever -even though two walls have closed in Sheffield (Matrix and Edge). I guess it's the same phenomenon in Scotland.

About the shirt wearing -have people heard directly from people who are offended by lack of shirts? Is there an age limit where it is OK so long as you're older? -a bit like how pensioners go around supermarkets in speedos in heatwaves? I'm hoping to get such an exemption.

rodma

• forum hero
#38 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 22, 2024, 08:45:15 am
About the shirt wearing -have people heard directly from people who are offended by lack of shirts?

Last time I'll mention shirts, pinky-promise....

At Eden there's a really high number of new inductees, new to the sport and just about the first part of the induction takes them to the weights/ stretching area (which you can't see into that thoroughly if you're approaching from reception). I've been in there warning up, with just one other person there, who was shirtless and pulling the aforementioned weird faces (i tried my best withering look, which sometimes works, but not in this case). Cue one lone female getting their induction is led around the corner (full height mirror is the last bit to come into view) to be shown the friendly weights area. The member of staff carrying out the induction looked appalled and embarrassed and quickly moved the inductee on to the next section. Perhaps the centre(s) could have amended their rules to say that shirtless would be tolerated, but it's not a best- in-show competition, so if you're sitting stretching and it's baltic, keep your top on. I do appreciate that folk overheat, but in the run-up to the ban at Eden, it was really a behavioral issue.

Anyway, I'm just really glad that we're getting an extra wall.

In terms of opening walls in other cities/ towns without them, I think you're right that appears lower risk to go where there's already a market (instant footfall). A bit of data gathering by a prospective developer ought to tell them enough, but maybe that's too difficult in a gdpr world.

I know a good number of folk that cross the bridge to get to Eden, so an alternative to the North would be an alternative for them to go to.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#39 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
February 22, 2024, 08:59:18 am
Next reasonable alternative Northwards is Block 10 Dundee? Plenty of time rich bouldering friends rather drive the hour from here on an evening than endure Transition Extreme. If the lad wasn't that into doing routes I would travel down more often.   

rodma

• forum hero
#40 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
March 23, 2024, 09:28:38 am
Going to the P weekend today for those that prepaid and booked a slot. It was originally a vip weekend but I'll be about the 1000th person through the door, so doesn't really feel like early access any more.

Still, mustn't grumble, should be ace.  :dance1:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#41 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
March 25, 2024, 09:24:06 am
Jammy Central Belt barstewards. I'll just have to content myself with walking down to Boltsheugh for a lunchtime session..

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#42 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
March 25, 2024, 09:37:38 am
The walls with this rule seems fine with girls in sport bras so in the warmer months I wear an old vest with the bottom off it. Gets a few odd looks but is cooler than a normal vest. In the temperature sense, certainly not in the fashion sense.

‘80s crop tops!
Yaaas!

In cerise pink, of course…

rodma

• forum hero
#43 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
March 25, 2024, 09:46:16 am
Jammy Central Belt barstewards. I'll just have to content myself with walking down to Boltsheugh for a lunchtime session..

If it makes you feel any better I jarred my lower back pinging off near the top of a problem during session 1 there and now have issues walking/ sitting/ sleeping   :lol:

It seems a good centre though, just needs the friction on the walls/ holds to calm down a bit

and the mats to break in a bit

SA Chris

• forum hero
#44 Re: Climbing Hangar - Edinburgh
March 25, 2024, 11:25:04 am
Will have a look next time I'm down. Even a year Block 10 holds seem to destroy my skin. PU vs PE?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal