UKBouldering.com

Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking (Read 1831 times)

rodma

• forum hero
Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 09:09:08 am
https://www.instagram.com/stories/oh_my_bloc/3303543102718233088?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igsh=ZjdjZzZheWp5aGMy

Hope folk can see that link. I've screenshotted it as well, but can't remember how to attach stuff here

I don't know if this has been discussed on t'other channel, but overnighting has been officially banned at franchard and now some self-entitled (imho) individuals have vandalised the signs

Ffs  :chair:

Duma

• forum hero
#1 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 09:45:50 am
Out of interest, what are the other options over winter in a campervan in Font now?
IIRC the campsites are all closed (Oct to April)

rodma

• forum hero
#2 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 09:48:25 am
There's an official giant van spot on the road south of arbonne, awee
bit beyond canche aux mercieres  parking

remus

• forum hero
#3 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 09:49:05 am

Duma

• forum hero
#4 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 09:54:19 am

Ah cheers, for some reason I thought that was no more official than isatis.

36chambers

• forum hero
#5 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 10:28:32 am
The author of the 5+6 and 7+8 guides posted this two days ago in relation to the new signs
The parking lot of one of the most popular areas in Fontainebleau is also known to many camper owners as a campsite. Although spending the night in the forest has been prohibited for years, many climbers did not care. The annoyance about this has now become so high that action has been taken. New signs, gates and information boards have been placed and there is a new rule: parking in the forest is prohibited between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM and the fine for ‘camping’ in the forest is € 1,500.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3TVrt3t2e1

rodma

• forum hero
#6 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 10:37:00 am
The author of the 5+6 and 7+8 guides posted this two days ago in relation to the new signs
The parking lot of one of the most popular areas in Fontainebleau is also known to many camper owners as a campsite. Although spending the night in the forest has been prohibited for years, many climbers did not care. The annoyance about this has now become so high that action has been taken. New signs, gates and information boards have been placed and there is a new rule: parking in the forest is prohibited between 10:00 PM and 6:00 AM and the fine for ‘camping’ in the forest is € 1,500.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3TVrt3t2e1

Yes, the signs have been there for around a week, it's just today that I saw they'd been vandalised already.  I had a search on the ONF website, but struggled to find a press release.

When I first went to font, there were random ish patrols moving people on. I drove there from Edinburgh in one push, couldn't check in to musardiere until the morning,  so drove around the formule 1s, but all were full, so drove to sabot (about 3 in the morning at this point), had barely engaged the handbrake, when we got moved on. This was a sleeping in the driver seat of a car scenario. Ended up overnighting at cuvier car park of all places  :sick:

I do wonder if they'll restart the night patrols

Andy W

• forum abuser
    • http://andywhall.com/
#7 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 11:36:02 am
I was there a month or so ago and the new parking, barriers etc were in operation. The whole area felt much nicer and quieter. You can park up and sleep for free at the bivouac sites, up to date info on…

https://www.seine-et-marne.gouv.fr/Actualites/Massif-de-Fontainebleau-des-changements-prevues-en-avril-sur-les-aires-de-bivouac

monkey boy

• forum hero
#8 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 05:59:26 pm
Out of interest, what are the other options over winter in a campervan in Font now?
IIRC the campsites are all closed (Oct to April)

There's a free Bivouac in Bourron Marlotte and people stay at the Hippodrome (with no issues I don't think) except for the night before a race.

The campsite at Grez Sur Loing is also open from March to November.

I think you can get away with staying in car parks too as long as you move around and don't just stay there all day. Just common sense really.

monkey boy

• forum hero
#9 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 06:00:10 pm

I hadn't realised you can stay there.

rodma

• forum hero
#10 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 16, 2024, 06:32:50 pm

I don't know when that one was set up, but it isn't really right next to any climbing area, but had around 100 vans parked there in October (when I bumped into you at la mouche)

finbarrr

• obsessive maniac
#11 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 17, 2024, 08:17:09 pm

I don't know when that one was set up, but it isn't really right next to any climbing area, but had around 100 vans parked there in October (when I bumped into you at la mouche)

That was not an official spot. It now has “no Parking from 22:00 till 06:00” signs as well. Almost all the parkings in and around the forest are now equipped with said signs.
As per above, the three designated bivouac (campers and tents) areas are
- the hippodrome (north of Fontainebleau)
- the faisanderie  (mont aigu parking, has water)
- Bourdon marlotte (south of Fontainebleau , has water)

There is also a camper area on the east side milly, with water, but it is the smallest and about as attractive as a parking lot along a local road, because that’s what it is.

rodma

• forum hero
#12 Re: Franchard Overnight Camping/Parking
February 18, 2024, 09:00:13 am
Well corrected.  :oops: :sorry:

That's what happens when I take info from other people as gospel.

Out of interest Is there anything at that parking lot south of arbonne of interest? Is that where the MAMILs kick off their weekend tours?

I can understand why banning overnighting at climbing, walking, biking,  picnicking spots etc,., but it looked just like a giant car park out of the way and chatting with friends they had said they were staying there rather than isatis in order not to cause upset. Seems like that may have in fact had a negative impact.

Despite having owned (Andy Ws) old camper for 7odd years and going to font each non-lockdown year, we always stayed at the campsite at grez. I like a hot shower too much.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal