UKBouldering.com

Vans - £10,000 for a 10 year old Custom: sensible or blinded by the idea? (Read 1570 times)

KeithScarlett

Hello,

So, after lengthy research and reflection it seems I am at a point where I am actually comfortable to part with money for a Transit Custom (there are different reasons for being keen on the Custom but not to the extent that I 'have to' get one).

It has however dawned on me that I have unquestioningly gone along with the idea that I'm going to spend £10,000 on a vehicle from 2015 or 2016 which could be 10 years old next year. On reflection that seems an awful lot of money for a vehicle that old and I'm wondering whether I've been blinded by my 'Custom vision' (when something else would do just as well).

So how do others, perhaps with more knowledge, view this i.e. is it a reasonable investment that I can expect to get reasonable use from? Or would I be paying over the odds here?

When I say 'reasonable use' I would be hoping for 10 - 15 years (even though that seems a long time and who knows what might happen with vehicles between now and then). And when I say over the odds I mean I could pay a similar amount and get something else (a current model Dispatch for example) that's newer (potentially 2018). And then I just get confused and start thinking it's much more about mileage than manufacture date i.e. if the mileage is low then it's okay!

I am wary of the later 2.0L Customs as they use a wet belt and from what I understand there have been serious problems with these (early belt failure and a destroyed engine); the 2016 and earlier 2.2L Customs have a timing chain.

Any help or guidance much appreciated  :-\

Thanks,

Keith

matt463

• regular
I bought a 2014 Vito about 7 years ago and it’s been great. It was about 11 grand at the time and I considered it a good investment because little goes wrong with commercial vehicles. While tax and fuel may be expensive, I found maintenance costs low.

I’m actually looking to sell it now as I have a new family and it just doesn’t seem that practical anymore. If you were willing to consider a vito let me know.

Also, clean air zones are making these sorts of vehicles a little harder to own I find

James Malloch

• forum hero
I can’t comment on the cost really, other than saying the price of second hand vans seems really high compared to cars.

However, one thing to look up would be how hard it is to steal. Some Ford vans are really easy to take - our insurance provider wouldn’t offer cover for some Ford’s unless they had a bunch of extra aftermarket security fitted. It is something I would be cautious of myself.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
n=1 but out neighbours have a transit custom, around that age. They seem to spend about £1500-£2k /year fixing it. Seized brakes, door locks that don't work, DPF that was leaking fuel, back door hinges rusting, bonnet needed replaced after rusting.

I guess vans are meant to be driven hard for 7-10 years then recycled.

SamT

• forum hero
Will listen with interest.  Always liked the Customs and have been tempted.  However I'm slowly going off the idea of spending fawsands on a Van that may well end up impossible to drive anywhere in the near future without paying emissions charges. 

Saw a friend of a friend selling a  converted VW Crafter on Faceache for ~20k.  Looked beautiful inside, like some home style magazine cover, but 7 years old, 120k on the clock  :-\ .. Least you'd be able to lounge in comfort and drink a brew whilst your other half had their head under the bonnet on the hard shoulder.

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
With vans don't buy on mileage but on condition. Many of these engines will run to 200,000 miles easily with decent servicing especially with motorway miles non stop start driving and not having been overloaded. Would much rather a 5-6 year old van with 120,000 miles than a 9-10 year old one with 50,000. Also an engine swap is probably £2000 all in, sorting something like underside corrosion could be considerably more.

Also it isn't just the price of used vans... Used car prices are currently bonkers as well. They are steadily starting to drop though if you can hold out for a bit.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix

Saw a friend of a friend selling a  converted VW Crafter on Faceache for ~20k.  Looked beautiful inside, like some home style magazine cover, but 7 years old, 120k on the clock  :-\ .. Least you'd be able to lounge in comfort and drink a brew whilst your other half had their head under the bonnet on the hard shoulder.
If looked after (easy miles, timing and waterpump changed when needed, and regular service) the engine on those is apparently good for 200k. Limited to 60mph though, unless he got it reregistered before they got stricter. 

Duma

• forum hero
60 on a dual carriageway, 70 on a motorway I thought?

Paul B

• forum hero
I am wary of the later 2.0L Customs as they use a wet belt and from what I understand there have been serious problems with these (early belt failure and a destroyed engine); the 2016 and earlier 2.2L Customs have a timing chain.

Chains also go wrong if tensioners etc. aren't correct. With the wet belt, I went through this fiasco getting one changed on a 1.0 Ecoboost Fiesta (vicariously through my relatively old MiL) and it was ludicrously expensive (details in the Cars, Cars thread). However, if you can find one with evidence of it having been done (that you trust) and regular oil changes, is there a need to be too scared?

I'm horrified by all vehicle costs currently, but especially Transporters. The cheaper options e.g. the new style Berlingos and Rifters are just starting to hit what I view as reasonable and are considerably younger than what you're proposing (N.B. the Rifters have an AdBlue issue and typically the dealer only sells the pump and tank as one unit that costs a fortune).

I guess it depends on what you're wanting out of a van? For me these days it'd be removable seats and big enough for two to camp in rather than a RnR bed and a side kitchen.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
60 on a dual carriageway, 70 on a motorway I thought?

Possibly. Given that the nearest motorway to us in about 2 hours away, I never really think about them! Luckily we got our van reclassified before they tightened the criteria.

KeithScarlett

Thanks all for the replies - really, really appreciated, some very useful thoughts and considerations in there  :coffee:

@matt463 Thanks for the Vito suggestion but I think it is the Custom I'm interested in but the more I find out the more I waiver in which case I might opt for a Dispatch (ULEZ compliant) or even have a think about Berlingo (I used to own one, it was superb).

@James Malloch That's a good tip on the insurance but you'd hope it wasn't an issue on such a high selling vehicle! A mechanic did however mention to me that there was a recall on 2018 (I think) Customs specifically because there was a security issue with the driver and passenger door locks.

@SamT The emissions zone issue does concern me; I imagine this is only going to become more widespread. I live in North Wales and don't see it as an issue locally any time soon but I do have a long work commute some days, and go via Deeside. There is a 50mph zone there because of air quality so who knows when a charge might be imposed?

As for camper van prices they are startling: I have no idea how people are willing to fork out huge sums just because something has been ply-lined and had some material added, bonkers!

@sxrxg That's very grounding and definitely worth factoring in.

@PaulB Yeah, I think I've been put off by scare stories but I figure, if properly maintained, then the wet belt engines are fine (though I understand the servicing is trickier / more expensive), I mean there are just so many of them out there!

Maybe I do need to re-consider something smaller but I really like a bit more space; certainly it would be hard to sleep in a Berlingo and have bouldering mats, bike, cooking equipment and someone else. It can turn into a type of Tetris  :(

turnipturned

• forum abuser
I have a Ford Custom 2015 LE which I got for £13k in 2020 and then converted it during lockdown- windows, insulated/carpet, RIB bed, diseal heater and pop lid.

On the conversion front (having converted a transporter originally), they are not as easy and probably cost a bit more to convert as most things are designed for a VW Transporter (this could just have been a lockdown thing though).

Van wise, they are nice to drive, but I have had my fair share of issues, injectors, weird fuel sensors that cost an eye watering amount. They are pretty easy to steal, just google it. So you will need to spend £200-£300 on that.

I am not sure I would buy one again, at the time we had a chance to buy a transporter 4motion same cost but 30k more mileage…. If I had my time again…..no where near as nice or as reliable as a transporter HOWEVER as others had said this is probably dependant on the original condition.

Hope that’s useful.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal