UKBouldering.com

Climbers that suddenly stopped (Read 10784 times)

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#75 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 12:59:32 pm
For all those "I know MTBers who got injured"...how many picked it up in later life?

From my mates who all started at 14/15 there were surprisingly few injuries over the years, even after 10+ years of downhill racing, dirt jumps and general arsing about.

Those who picked it up later...wrists, ankles, collar bones, head injuries.... probably 1 in 3...

I have only had mates die skiing.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#76 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 01:08:38 pm
The only one I know who started with MBT very young competed in downhill since his teens. He said that he counted on getting at least one fracture per year and that the trick is to stop biking before you get an open complicated fracture. In his estimation climbing was much safer.

Climbers who like/d scary climbing and took up MBT in their middle age seem to be very prone to end up in a coma or other injuries that insurance companies measure in percent...

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#77 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 01:14:49 pm
I've taken to two friends with head injuries to A&E, one climbing and one biking. Inconclusive.

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#78 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 01:15:46 pm

In northern Sweden about 97% of the population do or have done alpine sking in some form. But very enthusiastic skiers from the North I know also have an alarming injury- and death-rate. But again, this is often conditioned on already being a trad/alpine climber (so are probably risk-takers to start with).

Wellsy

• forum hero
#79 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 01:32:27 pm
What do we think is the most dangerous "extreme" sport in terms of fatality and injury rate? I'd guess fir fatalities probably Wingsuiting and for injuries mountain biking, mostly because you don't get injured Wingsuiting probably, you just die

Wellsy

• forum hero
#80 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 01:34:34 pm
Although actually given the fatality rate, it could be proper 8000m+ mountaineering. What's the fatality rate for that outside of Everest? Probably double figure percentage points

Edit: crikey 32% for Annapurna

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#81 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 02:01:29 pm
For all those "I know MTBers who got injured"...how many picked it up in later life?

From my mates who all started at 14/15 there were surprisingly few injuries over the years, even after 10+ years of downhill racing, dirt jumps and general arsing about.

Those who picked it up later...wrists, ankles, collar bones, head injuries.... probably 1 in 3...

I started as a kid and I don't think I know a single person that I rode with who hasn't broken bones and been knocked unconscious.

Unsurprisingly, this lad I used to ride and compete with has had his fair share of visits to A&E (clip from just a few hours ago):

https://www.instagram.com/p/C3FYgx-MBgB/

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#82 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 02:11:09 pm
On topic, have we had John Gill yet?

webbo

• forum hero
#83 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 02:21:39 pm
In an interview in 2008 he said he was no longer bouldering but enjoyed traversing just above the ground and he hoped to get back to easy soloing. He was in his 70’s then.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#84 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 02:32:30 pm
In an interview in 2008 he said he was no longer bouldering but enjoyed traversing just above the ground and he hoped to get back to easy soloing. He was in his 70’s then.
Has he considered mountain biking?

Mostly_Inanimate_Beans

• regular
  • Colossal Punter
#85 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 02:37:46 pm
I was primarily a mountain biker until I was 18 and I ended up in A&E 7 times I think, only once from climbing thus far. I would argue that for a lot of people the try hard aspect is shared between cycling and climbing, I used to go out and do hill sprints on a single speed until I threw up, although I also knew a lot of people who just wanted to go and potter round some hills. I think it quite reflective of how obsessive a personality you have. 

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#86 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 02:38:42 pm

I started as a kid and I don't think I know a single person that I rode with who hasn't broken bones and been knocked unconscious.

Unsurprisingly, this lad I used to ride and compete with has had his fair share of visits to A&E (clip from just a few hours ago):

Guess that just goes to show how unscientific a "random selection of mates" is as a way of assessing these things  :lol:

andy popp

• forum hero
#87 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 03:46:51 pm

I was going to say that I didn't think Gill stopped in the sense meant in this thread.

T_B

• forum hero
#88 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 03:48:27 pm
Steve House.

Enormocast interview with him where at the end he’s asked “what does your climbing look like nowadays” and he talks about how he no longer climbs due to it triggering PTSD. I found it quite difficult to listen to but equally quite inspiring how he’s found a way to move on.

Paul B

• forum hero
#89 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 04:26:22 pm
In common with many people who haven’t quit climbing I find absolutely nothing appealing about road cycling (well cycling in general really but road biking in particular) and I can’t see that it has anything in common with climbing apart from taking place in the countryside and favouring the slimmer physique.

Happy to discuss this but perhaps on another thread.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#90 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 05:54:16 pm
Or maybe in PMs  :lol:  ;)

petejh

• forum hero
#91 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 06:06:06 pm
Steve House.

Enormocast interview with him where at the end he’s asked “what does your climbing look like nowadays” and he talks about how he no longer climbs due to it triggering PTSD. I found it quite difficult to listen to but equally quite inspiring how he’s found a way to move on.

Haven't listened to it but I remember when he took a horrible fall on a relatively easy route on Mt Temple and almost died waiting for the rescue. Good excuse to stop.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#92 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 08, 2024, 10:08:38 pm

I've ridden BMX and MTB since I was a kid, they are way more dangerous than climbing. I had one of my worst crashes at about 10mph. There's too many variables involved especially in DH, jumping is a bit more calculated & safer IMHO.

**Edit sorry for dragging this off topic**

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#93 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 09, 2024, 12:27:47 am
Steve House.

Haven't listened to it but I remember when he took a horrible fall on a relatively easy route on Mt Temple and almost died waiting for the rescue. Good excuse to stop.

I had PTSD after reading his book! By rights he shouldn't be around

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#94 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 09, 2024, 12:32:27 am

Climbers who like/d scary climbing and took up MBT in their middle age ...

:wave: This is basically me.  :lol:

My perception is that I’m much more likely to injure myself MTB.  I think the chances of dying are higher from climbing, but still low.

kingholmesy

• forum abuser
#95 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 09, 2024, 12:34:51 am
On topic - what about Pete Livesey? I know he famously gave up climbing and got into running (after earlier having been into caving?), but not sure how sudden it was?

stone

• forum abuser
#96 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 09, 2024, 06:47:57 am
Steve House.

Changing from Alpine climbing to cragging makes sense to me (I did the same).

T_B

• forum hero
#97 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 09, 2024, 07:05:51 am
Stone - House has stopped completely including cragging (he does ski).

I mentioned the podcast as I thought what he says about that is pretty interesting.

Baron

• obsessive maniac
#98 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 09, 2024, 08:02:09 am
I went surfing when I stopped - often saw Jerry on the East coast

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#99 Re: Climbers that suddenly stopped
February 09, 2024, 09:28:34 am
Peel or Moffatt (I think they both do). As much as I love it, it's too unreliable here to commit to doing it only.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal