the shizzle > get involved: access, environment, BMC

180k cragx Mill Bridge

<< < (3/50) > >>

Will Hunt:
What Bradders said. I'm sure Paul will be along to tell us more but £180k is fuck all when it comes to a capital project. You've got to pay some engineers to design it, planning permission, environmental licensing, access is difficult, working in water, in a National Park, materials, plant, building something that won't just wash away in 20 years time and not be a pain in the arse to maintain for those 20 years, making sure that nobody dies while you're building it. It all costs money and yes, there will be an amount of profit for the engineering firm that takes it on, otherwise they wouldn't be in business (see how the razor-thin-margins business model worked out for Carillion). The amount of profit is controlled by market competition.

:tumble:

spidermonkey09:
I am joking really, obviously these things can't be done on a shoestring. It does feel a little frustrating that there is quite so much paperwork to do though. Similar to my frustrations with planning for houses I guess.

Separate point but short term is not in and of itself necessarily bad. Its a null point because the various permissions required preclude it, but say it was possible to whack another wooden one in for 40k that would last 40 years...I'd do that and then do it again in 2064.

SA Chris:

--- Quote from: teestub on February 02, 2024, 10:19:45 am ---Just the time getting the appropriate permits from the EA and Natural England for working near the watercourse and within a SSSI will prob run to £10k or more. 

--- End quote ---

I expect every design, procedure and plan will be subject to 3rd party review, resubmission and revision by or on behalf of everyone involved. This consumes time and cost at an alarming rate.

Dingdong:

--- Quote from: Bradders on February 02, 2024, 10:14:38 am ---Are any of you structural engineers?

I love a good pile on, but why the scepticism?

It's a fairly long footbridge, in an area extremely prone to flooding, across an active, steep water course with limited vehicular access, which needs to be sufficiently resilient to withstand all the abuse of a changing climate with minimal ongoing maintenance requirement, all in an area of outstanding natural beauty that has to be preserved during construction.

Similarly the existing one needs to be dismantled in a careful manner which avoids damage to the surrounding area.

Unfortunately, nice things cost money. Sure the army could knock another one up, but there's a reason the current one only lasted 30-odd years.

--- End quote ---

As much as all that makes sense, my skepticism comes from the government and local councils splooshing money away on super expensive contracts to firms their mates own, so excuse me for being skeptical about this kind of stuff.

I understand that there’s a lot of work entailed, but even the fact that an initial survey costs 10 grand is insane to me.

Glad to see they’re getting some funding from multiple sources at least. Like I said, I just hope it’s not money spaffed up the wall for some cunts to get richer as is the norm.

teestub:

--- Quote from: spidermonkey09 on February 02, 2024, 10:34:05 am ---I am joking really, obviously these things can't be done on a shoestring. It does feel a little frustrating that there is quite so much paperwork to do though. Similar to my frustrations with planning for houses I guess.

--- End quote ---

The planning process can seem frustrating until you look at all the stories of where the process hasn’t been followed, and you end up with houses on top of landfills without gas protection that blow up, or houses built on floodplains that no one wants to live in, or chicken farms directly next to rivers, or massive fish kills on rivers next to construction sites because they don’t have appropriate run off management.

Hopefully we can stay away from ‘elfin safety gawn maaaad’ commentary!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version