UKBouldering.com

Verdon in October (Read 919 times)

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 12:08:17 am
Exploring an idea to go to Verdon around 30 October to 6 November this year.
Is this a good time to go?

Also never been before, is it easy to meet people to climb with?

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#1 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 07:56:43 am
That is pretty much the end of the season for Verdon. The gorge will be quite empty. You could have some glorious but short days.  I have never been in Verdon without a partner, so I would not know, but there will not be a lot of climbers there at that time.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#2 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 01:44:12 pm
From (very distant) experience- what jwi said. Potential for great crisp conditions though. Cold at night.

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#3 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 02:01:23 pm
Thanks JWI & MrJ.
Back to the drawing board/calendar.
Definitely want to get a trip there, sample the fear, quality routes and beauty in equal abundance

ali k

• junky
#4 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 03:55:40 pm
I’ve been in November before when there was frost on the ground and it was absolutely mint conditions on the wall. Caveat being we only did routes that dropped in from above and then climbed out so you were in full sun the whole time. Wouldn’t have wanted to do a full bottom to top route starting out in the shade!

Oh, and there were no other climbers around.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#5 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 03:59:51 pm
I've always thought of Verdon as somewhere where I'd want to have a trad-like relationship with a partner rather than a sport type one. I'd be belayed by anyone at a single pitch sport crag. Would I do a run out multipitch route with anyone I hadn't climbed with before or at least have some confidence about, where there might be language barriers or clusterfucks to solve? Unlikely, personally.

danm

• junky
#6 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 05:08:25 pm
Agreed. I've been once, it's incredible and more scary than trad because you haven't a rack to bail out with. You can end up on a sea of rock with no bolts in sight, the pockets you used to get there are now invisible, so it's either press on and hope it eases and bolts appear, or take the wild ride onto the bolt way, way below. Then there's the encampment evidence in the jardins beneath you as you abseil in hoping you find the route and belay. Yeah, I'd want a proven steady partner for sure.

Paul B

• forum hero
#7 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 06:50:32 pm
I adore the Verdon and love the shorter, cooler days towards the end of season.

I can't quite remember when but the municipal campsite seems to close first, followed by the one at the top (he once gave my a mouldy banana to apologise for closing early) and then finally the one halfway down on the left (where I'd wake up to the owner's dog taking a crap by my tent). My main thought regardless of compatibility is that you'll struggle to find people to climb with easily. However, you might get lucky with the vanlifers? I too would want a steady belayer but with that in mind you don't have to go jumping into a terror-fest if you're a little unsure?

Aussiegav

• forum abuser
    • Climberbiker.
#8 Re: Verdon in October
January 30, 2024, 09:55:27 pm
Thanks everyone for contributing. Enjoyed reading these. Will look at coercing someone for a trip next year in September time.

I’ll be looking at routes on the low six’s & maybe a 6c single pitch where I can abseil into. Sure there’s a few 5star options to choose from.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#9 Re: Verdon in October
January 31, 2024, 06:55:14 am
Technical ‘fingers and toes’ style climbing is where the Verdon has super high quality climbing.  Unfortunately, I haven’t been for many years so someone else will be more aware of recent developments. That said, the classics and popular/easily accessed sectors won’t have changed much.
Two popular, easy to access classics
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/barre_de_lescales_verdon-20119/wide_is_love-38141
https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/barre_de_lescales_verdon-20119/mort_a_venise-162649

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal