UKBouldering.com

Training little and often over the day (Read 1707 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 11:17:13 am
I’m finding myself getting distracted at work a lot (bloody instagram) as the work is very intense/focussed meaning i do it in 45 or so minute bursts and then have a little break. But it is easy to get distracted when on your phone…

I was thinking of what training I could do whilst working which could be done in 10-15 minute chunks but with large rests between them. I have a board and fingerboard in my office so it is very easy access.

This may also be easier than using time in the evenings as they are preoccupied by our new baby at the moment so I’m struggling to use the board.

Max hangs could work (5 hangs with rest)

With 4x4’s I could fit in two sets (does having a break long break in between cause an issue?)

I can do 10-15 mins of aerocap on the board.

I could do pickups.

Maybe choose some long boulder problems and circuits to link together and have a “redpoint” once an hour.

I’d like to work on AnCap and AeroCap mainly as I would like to go into the sport season with a but of fitness built up. I feel like strength is fine for all of this years goals.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome!

Mostly_Inanimate_Beans

• regular
  • Colossal Punter
#1 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 11:43:10 am
10 sets of 10 reps deleting Instagram? ;)

abarro81

• forum hero
#2 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 11:44:56 am
The only things I could do in that timeframe are aero cap and BFR, everything else I'd need too long to warm up...

Paul B

• forum hero
#3 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 11:54:30 am
This sounds like a greasing the groove type scenario. I think it might have been rubbished (I don't keep abreast of such things) but at the very least you can use your time more productively.

sdm

• forum abuser
#4 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 12:58:50 pm
Other than aerocap, I can't do anything worthwhile on the board in such small windows.

For the board or max hangs, I need half an hour to include (re) warming up to avoid injury. I can squeeze in a session at lunch or before work, but not in shorter breaks.

Things I do in shorter breaks when WFH as long as I'm at least a bit warmed up from earlier in the day:
- Aerocap or ancap repeaters
- Density hangs
- Pickups / pinch block
- Weighted pull-ups
- a superset of a couple of dumbbell or rings exercises
- stretching/ mobility work
- a circuit/superset of cardio, core, & bodyweight exercises like burpees, press ups, squats, skipping, arm balances etc

This sounds like a greasing the groove type scenario. I think it might have been rubbished

It probably isn't optimal, but if it's a choice between getting things done in a short window or not at all, it has to be worth doing.

Doing some short exercises throughout the day means I need much less time to warm up if I have a board session or go to the wall in the evening.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#5 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 01:46:13 pm
Mobility and conditioning are the obvious ones. Your older self will thank you.

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#6 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 02:02:39 pm
I’m finding myself getting distracted at work a lot (bloody instagram) as the work is very intense/focussed meaning i do it in 45 or so minute bursts and then have a little break. But it is easy to get distracted when on your phone…

I was thinking of what training I could do whilst working which could be done in 10-15 minute chunks but with large rests between them. I have a board and fingerboard in my office so it is very easy access.

This may also be easier than using time in the evenings as they are preoccupied by our new baby at the moment so I’m struggling to use the board.

Max hangs could work (5 hangs with rest)

With 4x4’s I could fit in two sets (does having a break long break in between cause an issue?)

I can do 10-15 mins of aerocap on the board.

I could do pickups.

Maybe choose some long boulder problems and circuits to link together and have a “redpoint” once an hour.

I’d like to work on AnCap and AeroCap mainly as I would like to go into the sport season with a but of fitness built up. I feel like strength is fine for all of this years goals.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcome!

It’s how I do my strength sessions which are strung out over several hours. For example this was my last one:

Few warm up hangs Ergo edge BW hangs FC, HC and Drag 10,10 and 10 secs and 3 x pull-ups at each grip type. Foot-on one arm undercut locks and pulls on edge. Leg presses on counterweight pulley Foot off one arm undercut locks on bar BE on left +5kg on right. Front lever attempts. Assisted one arm undercut locks on edge with 15kg counterweight on pulley. Ergo edge +15kg FC, HC and Drag 2 pull ups on each grip then 10,10 and 10 sec hangs +25kg FC 8, 7 and 5 secs , HC 5 and 4 secs Drag 3, 8 and 6 secs

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
#7 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 03:56:33 pm
I usually do my workouts (strength) while doing something else, such as cooking or when I’m working at home. Taking five to ten minutes between sets. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don’t do much cardio and I’m not climbing at the moment (I intend to start again in a week or so). I’ll do a 10k trail run tomorrow morning and probably swim in the afternoon (but, I’ve been invited to a BBQ, so the swim might slip).
My whole attitude to training has relaxed hugely. But, I still seem to be ok. Joined my mate for his pre third Dan (TKD) grading the other week and kept up, for instance. Again 🤷🏻‍♂️.

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#8 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 07:33:20 pm
I'd go with mobility and conditioning too. Have you thought about Yoga? I'm old and constantly breaking myself and find Yin Yoga really good. Also handy for stress if the job is full on.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#9 Re: Training little and often over the day
January 27, 2024, 11:16:33 pm
A few years ago I decided I was going to get strong again by doing a pull-up on the doorframe every time I went to the kitchen or toilet at work. I got golfer’s elbow pretty quickly.

I have had more success splitting strength training over the course of the day similar to Shark. Doing three sets of a pretty intense dumbbell routine, one mid-morning, one before lunch and one mid-afternoon. When you have a few hours to recover you can try really hard. Don’t do it every day obviously.

Oldmanmatt

• forum hero
  • At this rate, I probably won’t last the week.
  • Largely broken. Obsolete spares and scrap only.
    • The Boulder Bunker climbing centre
I forgot. I’ve taken to climbing around the scaffolding during my morning rounds at the ship yard, for ten to fifteen minutes or so. Throw on the odd pull up or lever. My guys think I’m a bit odd and it generally adds to the whole “ Mad dogs and Englishmen” reputation and keeps me mobile.

slab_happy

• forum hero
If you've got a kettlebell, they are very effective for suffering a lot conditioning in a very short space of time. Try 100 kettlebell swings (10 sets of 10 on the minute) or Turkish get-ups (1 on the minute for 10 minutes, alternating sides). With a few minutes of warm-up beforehand so you don't die.

colin8ll

• regular
I noticed a significant drop in my strength and conditioning when I started a new desk job from home. I was getting a sore back and would get really cold during the day. I addressed this with a timer which goes off every hour, then I roll a pair of dice, one gives me an upper body exercise to do, the other a lower body exercise. This little routine has made a big difference and combined with a bit of cardio from running with the dog in the evenings, I feel in much better shape for not much effort.

mark20

• junky
I think I'd struggle to get warmed up enough in that timeframe to leave anytime left to do anything. Or be too cooled down after 45 mins off for the next 15min burst of anything too intense. Perhaps if you can warm up before work, or on a lunch break then I'd do something like this
As that would be comparable to a day at the crag.

Aero bollocks on the board if you have some big holds? I find this stuff OK with minimal warm up.

I think the easiest, stress free thing to do would be general conditioning - bar work, lock offs, elbow rehab/prehab. Theraband rotator cuff stuff, Stretching/yoga, core, TRX, weights for wrist exercises.

Or most likely for me, twat around on UKB/C  :whistle:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal