UKBouldering.com

Inflatable Pads (Read 2882 times)

sxrxg

• obsessive maniac
Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 04:22:42 pm
Came across a couple of new inflatable pads, one looks a bit like the construction of the paddle board and already seems to be avialable to purchase whereas the other concept is a kickstarter and seems to be considerably smaller and lighter pads - this one seems like a great concept for longer approaches be great to be able to put two or three in a rucksac and use an mtb to get to the crag or even just to aid the approach on those long walk ins.

Both options are appealing to me as they would take up consideably less space when packing the car for a family holiday!

https://kailasgear.com/products/inflatable-bouldering-rock-crash-pad

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1847051333/sick-sequence-climbing-ultra-portable-crash-pad/description

What does everyone think? Is this concept appealing to anyone else?

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#1 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 04:35:13 pm
Somethings like these would be useful for coastal/loch bouldering where the lowest effort approach is by kayak.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 04:38:42 pm
I’d use these just to make that god forsaken stanage approach easier  :lol:

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#3 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 04:48:06 pm
Great concept if it actually worked, but it looks terrible to fall on. There's no dampening and it looks like you'd just bounce off it from a moderate fall. I could imagine an air pad providing a better landing if there was a pressure valve that releases some of the air upon impact. But that would require either pumping back up every time or a motorised pump with heavy batteries...

sirlockoff

• regular
  • god's own rock
  • @sirlockoff
    • Peak district bouldering sends
#4 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 05:12:02 pm
I just pitched this idea to Carlos about week ago :lol:, might get some more people to grinah
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 05:17:44 pm by sirlockoff »

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#5 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 05:46:38 pm
420 quid! I've never been that desperate to go bouldering.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#6 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 06:02:24 pm
If you moan about Stanage, don't visit Scotland.

edshakey

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 06:54:13 pm
Great concept if it actually worked, but it looks terrible to fall on. There's no dampening and it looks like you'd just bounce off it from a moderate fall. I could imagine an air pad providing a better landing if there was a pressure valve that releases some of the air upon impact. But that would require either pumping back up every time or a motorised pump with heavy batteries...
My thoughts exactly. Where's the dissipation of energy on landing? Looks like prime territory for heavy landings, with the added bonus of maybe breaking your ankle?
Maybe if it contained foam too, and you didn't even have to blow it up each time... wait a minute

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#8 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 07:21:23 pm

I literally did a 2 hour approach to Beinn Airigh Charr boulderfield but go on  :lol:

GazM

• forum abuser
    • Highland ramblings
#9 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 07:40:55 pm
I was actually surprised by how long it took to get up to the crag from the car when I was at Stanage a few months back! Parked on the road near Plantation CP and ended up doing some routes near the Unconquerables. Much bigger approach than most of my esoteric choss bouldering up here in the Highlands!

petejh

• forum hero
#10 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 08:19:49 pm
I could imagine an air pad providing a better landing if there was a pressure valve that releases some of the air upon impact. But that would require either pumping back up every time or a motorised pump with heavy batteries...

No need for motorised pump - it would work well with one of the ‘pump sacks’ you get with large expedition sleeping mats. I have a sea-to-summit expedition mat, it’s massive, inflating it is piece of piss you just scoop air with the pump sack and then roll the sack of air into the mat. Fully inflated in 2-3 goes, no effort required. Would work the same with an air pad between goes.

remus

• forum hero
#11 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 19, 2024, 10:02:09 pm
No need for motorised pump - it would work well with one of the ‘pump sacks’ you get with large expedition sleeping mats. I have a sea-to-summit expedition mat, it’s massive, inflating it is piece of piss you just scoop air with the pump sack and then roll the sack of air into the mat. Fully inflated in 2-3 goes, no effort required. Would work the same with an air pad between goes.

Would depend how much pressure the pad requires surely? The sleeping mat is easy because it's at ~1bar. I had to pump up 10 inflatable SUPs once (which look like a similar construction to this) and it's a pain in the ass because you need to add a lot of pressure.

Moo

• forum hero
  • Is an idiot
#12 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 20, 2024, 12:49:57 am
A few different iterations of the inflatable pad have come and gone over the years, most notably I think the 8a.nu massive one which cost a bomb and was only produced on a limited run. I think they always end up coming to nothing because they don't weigh a lot less and are basically a lot more faff.

No doubt they'll pack down smaller though so maybe they'll only ever fill a pretty small niche.

stone

• forum abuser
#13 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 20, 2024, 07:56:46 am
I'm surprised Simon/shark hasn't joined in because he has(or had) an inflatable pad. I guess if he isn't using it anymore, then either it broke or he no longer likes it. When they were first marketing the one he had, they had a big ladder and were getting people to jump off onto it. Apparently it gave a better landing than the foam pads available at the time.

I'm not sure what mechanism it used to dissipate energy. In principle, if a pad had various segments, with a porous baffle between each segment, then redistributing air from the segment you landed on to the rest of the pad through the porous baffle could give a sort of wind resistance all within the pad couldn't it? I don't think the pad would need to be pumped up very hard for that to work.

I have a "DekkerMat" pad that I bought in about 1993. I've used it ever since (used it yesterday). It is crap but not as crap as it looks. It has thick open cell foam and a cover that is mostly air tight except for some side vents. When landed on, air gets forced through the side vents. It can break a fall much better than might be imagined from how over-soft it feels. I largely use it to put under my wide, thin Edelrid pad to cushion my elderly knees, fill in holes between rocks etc.

Bradders

• forum hero
#14 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 20, 2024, 08:51:38 am
The second pad on the kick starter weighs less than 2kg, so at the first breathe of wind it'll be gone.

The market for a more easily portable pad is clearly massive though. Everyone with a family would surely be keen.

stone

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 20, 2024, 08:58:45 am
I think Simon/shark's inflatable pad is draped over the rock fin in this video (the pads are in view at the start).

petejh

• forum hero
#16 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 20, 2024, 10:02:57 am
Would depend how much pressure the pad requires surely? The sleeping mat is easy because it's at ~1bar. I had to pump up 10 inflatable SUPs once (which look like a similar construction to this) and it's a pain in the ass because you need to add a lot of pressure.

No I mean for the ‘in between goes’ bit, if you had a pad that released air to cushion impact. Not for the initial inflation.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#17 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 21, 2024, 10:49:02 pm

I literally did a 2 hour approach to Beinn Airigh Charr boulderfield but go on  :lol:

Yet you go on about walking a flagstone path?

SA Chris

• forum hero
#18 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 21, 2024, 10:50:01 pm
I was actually surprised by how long it took to get up to the crag from the car when I was at Stanage a few months back! Parked on the road near Plantation CP and ended up doing some routes near the Unconquerables.

If you want to be daft, it's up to you

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#19 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 22, 2024, 07:18:08 am

Yet you go on about walking a flagstone path?

Who pissed in your cornflakes  :lol: it’s called a joke mate

Jono.r23

#20 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 22, 2024, 07:52:40 am

Or Crookrise

jwi

• forum hero
    • On Steep Ground
#21 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 22, 2024, 08:05:12 am
The 8a air pad was very on-brand: uneccessary and really fucking dangerous. They were manufactured by a reputable company with long experience of gymnasitc pads ( https://hgb.org/ ) so it might not be so easy to construct a good one. The Kailas inflatable pad look fairly similar to the one from HGB, so I would not buy without a reliable third-party review from an experienced climber.

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#22 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 22, 2024, 08:26:37 am
If you search this forum for “flashed ronin” there’s lots of info from the last time air pads were big and all the knackered ankle’d guys who’d been bouldering since the pre-pad good old days were getting them. The phrase “falling onto a bag of kittens” was used  :lol:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#23 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 22, 2024, 08:57:42 am
it’s called a joke mate

Apologies, I can see it's hilarious now.

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#24 Re: Inflatable Pads
January 22, 2024, 12:29:58 pm
The Flashed Ronin weren't inflatable they just had this method of moving air around inside the pad. UKC article anout this.

I have one and found it a great pad for landing on, especially from high up.

It's the same design that's in certain Snap pads - Wham - maybe. Which I also have, and it's also the best pad I've owned for landing on - again especially big falls.

The only downside is they are a bit heavier - so often I choose two normal pads over one of these.

I've never climbed on an inflatable pad - which I assume means one you inflate.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal