UKBouldering.com

Statins (Read 840 times)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Statins
January 12, 2024, 05:28:20 am
So, just got my last medical checkup results in and it seems cholesterol has gone from marginal to through the roof over the last 4-5 years (hereditary causes as i have a pretty balanced diet etc. and my dad has a history of similar). Doc has thus put me on a three-month block of statins (Crestor) to try and get it down to sensible levels etc.

Given the various stories you hear about side effects, keen to know any firsthand feedback from people here if they've been taking them. Currently been having a rather nice run of form so the prospect of massive muscle aches etc. really isn't very appealing.

I know it's different for everyone but would be keen to know what others experience of them has been...

stone

• forum abuser
#1 Re: Statins
January 12, 2024, 09:56:29 am
Maybe you saw it already but there was a post over on UKC https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/statins-714941

Rocksteady

• forum abuser
  • Crank
  • Hotter than the sun!
#2 Re: Statins
January 12, 2024, 10:34:03 am
My dad didn't get on with them. He found a weird side effect was they totally destroyed his core tension/strength. He was still climbing for a while when he was on them and it really reduced his ability.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Statins
January 12, 2024, 11:05:48 am
Have you looked at diet options instead of statins? A vegan diet is usually very good at reducing bad cholesterol

Paul B

• forum hero
#4 Re: Statins
January 12, 2024, 11:20:47 am
I'm interested in this thread and people's experiences as I have an appointment with my GP on Monday to discuss the hereditary health issues in my family (after my Dad's GP suggested any offspring of his had that chat sooner rather than later). My Dad once came over to look after the dog when I was away and treated the house like a week long training camp, riding a ridiculous amount and on his rest day, going for a wander up Pendle Hill. After a week he was on first name terms with the local pub landlord and looked like he'd aged a decade. He went home that night, got up in the middle of the night for a wee and thankfully smashed his head off the toilet as he collapsed having a massive heart attack. This was enough to wake my Mum and thankfully all was well (double stent). Mum had bypass surgery after turning up at A and E feeling a bit light headed a few years earlier! He's currently on statins and hasn't really complained much apart from being achey in the morning. The main limitation he has is a HR he's no longer allowed to exceed and for a time beta blockers.

User deactivated.

• forum hero
#5 Re: Statins
January 12, 2024, 11:21:36 am
I have a slight interest in this topic as i've had intermittent AF since my early 20's and will no doubt be offered statins at some point earlier than most.

This YouTube doctor is a working, British cardiologist who makes often entertaining videos on a range of health topics, but importantly is always evidence based with no quackery (actually he does quite a lot of quackery exposing). I subscribe, there's a lot of interesting stuff he's put out. This is a pretty straight up explanation of statins, without his usual added humour:

stone

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Statins
January 12, 2024, 01:48:21 pm
Wow, that nocebo effect described in Liam's video is freaky.

I'm interested in this thread too. My mum had a heart attack when she was younger than I am now and I've had  doxorubicin treatment which has heart damage as the limiting side effect. Apparently my cholesterol is fine though.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 02:00:51 pm by stone »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal