UKBouldering.com

Hong Kong bouldering and sport climbing (Read 779 times)

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
Hong Kong bouldering and sport climbing
January 10, 2024, 08:39:42 am
I will be going out to Hong Kong and Shenzhen some time in October for around 3 weeks and am looking to get some climbing in at the same time. Probably looking at bouldering in Hong Kong. I was wondering if anyone has any idea what the logistics are of getting around with pads as well as potential pad hire. Also any recommendations on the best area to stay in that would have some tourist things available but not miles from the bouldering.
Thanks

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Pretty sure you've come to the right place then!

;D

Conditions: October is basically the start of the season out here so should be plenty of people heading out and about around then - it'll still be on the warm side (mid to high 20's) but the humidity starts dropping around this time so it gets a lot more bearable (looking at my sends this season, the basically started ramping up in late-Oct)

Pad Hire: A few of the gyms have started hiring out pads (N-bouldering and maybe Verm City). I also tend to have a stash of slightly older pads in my car park space (ones that have been rescued after people stashed them at the blocs and then forgot to collect them when the summer rains etc. arrived). Can always lend you one of these.

Getting around: super easy. Pads on the MTR (underground) are fine and taxi's are dirt cheap here relative to the UK etc., so you can get to most areas with a combo of MTR + 3-4 quid taxi ride

Where to stay: anywhere on north HK Island (Sheung Wan through to North Point) or Kowloon (Tsim Sha Tsui to Prince Edward) and you'll be nice and central to get out to a whole host of different areas. Just try an avoid anything north of Kowloon (i.e. Shatin) or way out in the New Territories / Islands (i.e. Tung Chung on Lantau) as these will add more notable commute times for a lot of areas.

There's a rather nice bouldering guidebook for HK that should be available in the UK from Cordee  ;)
https://www.cordee.co.uk/Hong-Kong-Bouldering-%282nd-Edition%29-det-0-0-0-19633.html

plus an awesome website with everything you need to know about the areas too www.hongkongclimbing.com

Drop me a line closer to the time and we'll see about giving you some guided tours too

Dexter

• obsessive maniac
Thanks so much for all the info. We might try to fly out with pads but we will deal with that closer to the time.
We will book some accommodation accordingly. It's looking like 1.5 weeks in Shenzhen for tourist and family stuff then 1.5 in Hong Kong for climbing and tourism.
I think I emailed you the other day about the guidebook but useful to know we can also get a copy here instead.
Thanks again.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal