UKBouldering.com

Runout Customs Double Ledge, fly and haul bags (Read 651 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
In ~2012 I bought a Runout Customs Doulbe portaledge with storm fly for a long trip (our honeymoon) around the western USA and up into Squamish. It was used in several locations, mainly Yosemite and most recently (2019) it took a trip to Madagascar. I haven't had it out since but it's in very good condition and neither of us are particularly large so the bed material has done its initial stretching to allow the ledge to be constructed with relative ease but that's it. At the time, these were the best ledges on the market and far better (and lighter) than the commercial offerings from Metolius and Black Diamond (e.g. no spreader bar). The fly pole elastic is tied within the pole as I mistakenly dropped it an awfully long way.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/climbing/portaledge/runout-customs-double-portaledge

The ledge has never been flagged.

In terms of price, I'm gauging interest at this point as in reality I haven't climbed much since 2019 and it's looking unlikely I'll be needing a ledge at any time soon yet for some reason I've been dragging my heels posting this. Personally, the sweet spot for climbing doesn't fall on the side of needing to haul anything more strenuous than a very light bag (preferably in space).

I also have two haul bags for sale (no idea of £/value):
Metolius Half Dome in 'rescue me' blue (I believe my version is from when the Durathane was better). The bag has a few flaws that need attention, firstly I lost the waistband on my return flight, secondly it got hung up and instead of doing what I should've done and abbing down to free it I just hauled some more, puncturing the roll top material (this can easily be repaired) and finally, the shoulder strap adjustment system tried its best to kill me when it failed at the top of the death slab descent from half dome. One side snapped, rapidly followed by the next leaving me spinning around in a not very safe position. This was repaired there and then with tied webbing. I'd have zero issues using this bag again myself but would be sourcing a waist band replacement and patching the lid.

https://www.outside.co.uk/metolius-1-2-dome-haul-pack-125l.html?utm_source=googleads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googleshopping&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy9msBhD0ARIsANbk0A_VJHnmTtianmWcJ1LlCUv7i7xcJlSQM6in53KkdxGiB2_WF-4n3rEaAn1KEALw_wcB

Climbing Technology (yellow) - 70-85l - never hauled. I'm not going to lie, this is wafer thin compared to the Metolius.

https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/shop/tree-climbing-arborist-equipment/tree-climbing-equipment/rope-kit-bags/climbing-technology-zenith-hauling-bag-expandable-sd/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAy9msBhD0ARIsANbk0A8Xw_fEeadEtfa2y0ON43SvpYImsRMxGmuVb5cmPcVJFyIIgL6oj-UaAjAMEALw_wcB

I currently live in Colne (close to Widdop) and the nearest wall would be Onyx if that was preferable for anyone interested.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 02:50:38 pm by Paul B »

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
For those considering buying a portaledge here are some ideas about the prices, weights and merits of some double ledges currently available.

Black Diamond Perch: 13.5kg with fly. $1400. Don't bother unless your sponsorship extends to helicopter, porters, and a dedicated hauling team to ferry it and you around.

Metolius Bomb Shelter: 10.5kg with fly and haul sack. Block corners. $1400. Solid. Both this and the BD use a spreader bar which make them much harder to set up.

Durango D4: 10kg with fly and haul sack. Curved corners, very solid and easy to use design. $1700.

Runout Customs. Evolution of the original A5 design: Block corners, no spreader. 4.2kg with haul sack (c. 6.5kg inc. fly; weights vary a little with iteration, check with Paul). Last price was $1600 but no longer made.

D4 Delta 2P: Isosceles trapezoid shaped, curved corners. Innovative design and reportedly very robust for the weight. c.6.5kg. $1750, occasional special order availability.

G7 Pod (inflatable) x2 plus alpine shelter fly: 4.2kg, $2470.

For further comparison, a second-hand 1990/00s A5 ledge with block corners and no spreader bar is lightweight (c.7kg), fairly solid and pretty easy to set up. $500? As Alex Waterhouse and Billy Ridal found, an original fly will now leak.

The Runout ledge would be a great option anywhere other than arctic or super-alpine walls.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal