UKBouldering.com

Onyx, Blackburn (Read 1954 times)

andy_e

• forum hero
Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 04:17:07 pm
Currently enjoying a session here. Wow, what a place, an homage to the early 2000s PE grip-flecked first bouldering walls, with excellent setting, good vibes, and a cool aesthetic. The perfect antidote to the modern wall! Anyone else a fan?

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 04:25:23 pm
Andy H and Julie have been going. Heard very good things.

andy_e

• forum hero
#2 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 04:42:47 pm
Yeah I was reading the reviews on Google yesterday and noticed Julie had left a glowing review! Seems popular with the, er, slightly less young generation...

yetix

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 04:48:10 pm
My partner loved it when she went a few weeks ago. She was gutted it wasn't closer to us.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#4 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 04:50:11 pm
Yeah, really good. Nice and clean, hard problems on fingery holds rather than conditionsy slopers...great stuff. I went for a session at the Depot last week and it reminded me why I'd gone off the place.

James Malloch

• forum hero
#5 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 04:55:16 pm
I might check it out next week. Have a half day free and it’s the same drive for me as the Leeds walls.

Hadn't heard of it until now.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#6 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 05:19:40 pm
So many rat crimps they're gonna need the Pied Piper!

brbushell

#7 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 05:23:26 pm
Definitely worth a visit. Quality spot, would expect nothing less from Gill & Ian.

Is great to have so much variety and quality in the NW these days, plenty to be doing when the weather refuses to play along.

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#8 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 05:54:01 pm
Rained off last week and paid a visit, agree with all the above. Not massive but quality, great to have a wall not afraid of ratty crimps and finger injury complaints 😁

abarro81

• forum hero
#9 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 06:20:30 pm
great to have a wall not afraid of ratty crimps and finger injury complaints 😁
Mmm... Lovely... (For the avoidance of doubt, that most definitely is sarcasm; I love indoor climbing that feels like outdoor climbing - like the wave - but not if it's tweaky ming)

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#10 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 06:28:54 pm
I haven't found it tweaky, the wave is a decent comparison.

I've never been back to the climbing station at Loughborough after I tweaked a finger on their shit setting at the start of 2020 😂

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#11 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 07:37:06 pm
I've been a couple of times and really enjoyed the old-school vibe and the setting. Lots of crimping and less of the running - jumping, volume wrestling that's now prevalent.  I found the problems interesting with good moves, yet also satisfyingly basic - forearms and fingers felt worked afterwards - like after a brutal limestone session.

dunnyg

• forum hero
#12 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 08:01:02 pm
like after a brutal limestone session

Could there be a higher praise?

gardinrm

• menacing presence
#13 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 03, 2024, 11:46:50 pm
Hadn't hard about it either. Sounds great. I love the Boulder UK wall in Preston too, for similar reasons. Maybe not quite so 'old school' (need to visit Onyx to know) but I really like the route setting, and the vibe is so much more relaxed than other (previously mentioned) Manchester walls. 

Andy - just live down the road in Chorley if you are around the area at the moment?

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#14 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 04, 2024, 12:01:59 am
 :agree:
Yep, a decent wall, great asset to the Lancs/N Manc area. Good setting from Ian as is to be expected and it's also nice to see both Gill and Ian at the helm of a wall again. Some varied problems, I've really enjoyed when I've been👍

steveri

• forum abuser
  • More average than you
    • Some poor pictures
#15 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 04, 2024, 11:17:11 am

Mmm... Lovely... (For the avoidance of doubt, that most definitely is sarcasm; I love indoor climbing that feels like outdoor climbing - like the wave - but not if it's tweaky ming)

For the avoidance of doubt and any possible legal action, Onyx is definitely not tweaky ming and seems like good prep for outdoors. Not all walls manage this - jumpy/compy seems to go hand in hand with an aversion to smaller holds. I backed off one pockety problem that seemed a bit risky on an old injury. ;D

andy_e

• forum hero
#16 Re: Onyx, Blackburn
January 04, 2024, 11:53:14 am
Andy - just live down the road in Chorley if you are around the area at the moment?

Sorry, just a flying visit to the folks before a conference in Manchester!

For the avoidance of doubt and any possible legal action, Onyx is definitely not tweaky ming and seems like good prep for outdoors. Not all walls manage this - jumpy/compy seems to go hand in hand with an aversion to smaller holds. I backed off one pockety problem that seemed a bit risky on an old injury. ;D

Yeah totally, I think because the holds actually have friction you don't actually need to pull that hard on them, thereforeaking them safer and more realistic to outdoor climbing.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal