UKBouldering.com

Font in March - worth the risk? (Read 4126 times)

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
    • http://www.hongkongclimbing.com
Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 05:40:07 am
For the first time ever in my adult life, i seem to have found myself with a bunch of 'use it or lose it' annual leave that i need to K.O before the end of March.

Having never had a dedicated Font trip before (have stopped a few times on the way to/from the Alps and a couple of rained out weekend trips when i was UK-based), thought now might be the time to change this - but also a bit wary of March weather situation.

What's people's experience / opinion on this time of year (likely 10-23 Mar) in Font.
Expect 50/50 climbing/twiddling thumbs time, or better/worse?

It's also likely to be a solo trip so what're the odds of finding other groups to climb/socialize with? I'll prob go a bit stir crazy with two-weeks of my own company... 

Or should i just say sod it and go to Albarracin (or somewhere else with a higher probability of dry days) instead?

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 07:18:14 am
You can never guarantee the weather there but I'd say it's march/april is probably the best time of year to go on balance. Conditions might not be as crisp as winter but you'll have a better chance of dry days.

The question is how gutted you'd be if the weather didn't play ball, but for me font is some of the best bouldering in the world and well worth the risk.

https://weatherspark.com/y/47913/Average-Weather-in-Paris-France-Year-Round#Figures-CloudCover

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#2 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 08:44:48 am
I went March last year and it was perfect connies. I think feb/march/April is usually the best time to hit up Font, not too warm, not too cold and little rain.

Most people I know usually wait until a week or two before booking it so they can keep an eye on the weather. If it’s crap you could maybe look at magic wood or albaraccin instead.

You’ll definitely meet other psyched groups out there who are usually welcoming, we’ve always made new friends when we’ve gone and ended up having drinks/food after.

Fatboyslimfast2

• regular
#3 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 09:31:41 am
If all you have is 2 weeks and you need to book now I would go elsewhere. Having spent numerous trips over the last 30 years waiting for it to stop raining in Font its fucking miserable. if you coming from HK you can go anywhere in the world surely?

Ged

• junky
#4 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 09:52:10 am
If all you have is 2 weeks and you need to book now I would go elsewhere. Having spent numerous trips over the last 30 years waiting for it to stop raining in Font its fucking miserable. if you coming from HK you can go anywhere in the world surely?

Seconded.  I'd  be going to Bishop/Red Rocks/Hueco

Bradders

• forum hero
#5 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 10:12:44 am
I saw the thread title with the words "Font", "March" and "risk" and thought 'what risk?!'.

February and March are primetime and especially with two weeks there you'll be fine. If you're a dedicated boulderer and have never spent a good chunk of time there, you have to go. There's a reason people go elsewhere and say "it's not Font is it".

tim palmer

• forum abuser
#6 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 10:25:49 am
I think March is probably the best time to go to font,  obviously there is always the chance of getting rained off as it is northern France but around then gives you the best chance of good conditions and dry. It is the best bouldering in the world after all.

I think hueco will be getting pretty damn hot by then, bishop might be OK for rumbling but will also be pretty  flipping hot.

I think swiss will be best alternative but again it is northern Europe although at least the climbing is a bit more weather proof.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#7 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 10:31:34 am
I'd like to support the preceeding views and say to definitely book Font in March as it's going to be one of the best times for the best bouldering area, and definitely don't book Font in March as there's too much risk of rain and it's dire if washed out  :2thumbsup:

petejh

• forum hero
#8 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 10:37:52 am
Why not both? If you've 2 weeks you could do one week font one week Swiss, or a week in Albarracin for almost guaranteed dry (Spain too hot by then?). Train/coach between, or car depending on budget.

remus

• forum hero
#9 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 10:51:02 am
Why not both? If you've 2 weeks you could do one week font one week Swiss, or a week in Albarracin for almost guaranteed dry (Spain too hot by then?). Train/coach between, or car depending on budget.

Personally I wouldn't do this on a two week trip as it feels like spreading yourself a bit thin. It's about 12hrs to Albarracin and about 10hrs to Magic Wood, then I usually feel a bit rough after a long drive and need a day or two to recover, so you'd be taking 2-3 days out of a 16 day trip to drive further away from the best bouldering in the world!

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#10 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 11:18:42 am
I’ve been to Font once, 14th-20th March 2015, and it was one of the greatest climbing experiences of my life. Not a single drop of rain fell the whole time. We had one day when it was too hot which coincided with needing a rest day.

The campsite was almost empty though, we basically persuaded the bloke to let us stay there despite it being the last week before they opened for the season, so it might be harder to hook up with people on a solo trip.

And of course it could just rain every day.

Tom de Gay

• stalker
#11 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 11:36:21 am
The weather could be anything, and being there for two weeks at that time of year, you'll have a bit of everything. Last winter was a serious drought, followed by a cool showery spring. In late March it rained every day, but I climbed every day and conditions were mint. The year before, balmy sunshine.

50/50 climbing to thumb-twiddling ratio sounds ideal to me, a chance to restore the thin skin and decrepid body. There is stuff to do when it's washed out: the prehistory museum in Nemours, a bit of flâneuring in Paris, etc.

Could be a bit quiet mid-week, outside the school hols; that's no bad thing, but it might get livelier towards the end of the month.

danm

• junky
#12 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 28, 2023, 01:26:49 pm
I think you'll be extremely unlucky to get rained off for 2 weeks. Fairly easy to find bouldering buddies too. Some rain is normal but I've never had a trip where I couldn't climb at all - some venues like 95.2 and Rocher Fin dry very quickly if there is any breeze and or sun.

Other stuff to do if wet: hire a mountain bike, run or walk the sentier de 25 bosses (hilly circuit in the Trois Pignon area), go to the Tete de Traines in Tousson if open (Fri-Sun) for beer, music sometimes and good craic with the owner Pierrot. Also good food at Graines de Cafe in Acheres le Foret (good cheese shop/fromagerie down the road too). The auberge near Dame Jouanne was good, and the organic/local produce shop in Larchant sometimes does food/social events in the evening. You're in France - the food is half the trip!

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#13 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 29, 2023, 01:09:06 am
Cheers all - pretty much the full spectrum of responses i was expecting :hug: (but with a notable amount of March can be great in there)

Having not set foot in the forest for over 25-years (i think the last attempt was a weekend rained out trip with ChrisF many moons ago) and never had a lengthy trip there, i think i'll take my chances (but go armed with a bunch of back up plans to kill time for those rainy days that do come through)

If anyone else is out that way mid-March then let me know as it'd nice to have some others to climb/hang with. In the meantime, feel free to keep dropping those suggestions on things to see and do in the area. I'm guessing an AirBnB in the main town itself is prob best for a solo traveler not looking to slum it in a hostel type place?

I think there's another thread on the 'must do 7's' so will go check that out for inspiration on problems.

PeteHukb

• player
#14 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 29, 2023, 09:30:35 am
Can I hijack this thread to ask about non-climbing activities for kids in Font? I'm going at the end of March with my family, parents and my sister's family (a mix of climbers and non-climbers). There will be four kids aged 4-8, we'll defo take them round some of the kids' circuits but will also need a range of non-climbing activities for all weathers. Walking trails and cycling trails will be good options, and we'll go into Paris for a day and maybe to Versailles too.

Thanks!

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#15 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 29, 2023, 09:47:15 am
If raining.

The swimming pool in Milly is great for children.

Walking round decathlon slowly/letting them try oversized rollerskates.

Plenty of easy/short walks.

Few bike hire places around.

Beware they can't go into the Cyclops until quite old, we promised 4 yr old and then had to blame french health and safety.

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#16 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 29, 2023, 09:57:21 am
The narrow gauge steam train at Tacos des Lacs (Grez-sur-Loing) is good fun if you/they are into this kind of thing. http://tacot-des-lacs.com

[edit: open from 6th April in 2024]

Plattsy

• forum hero
#17 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 29, 2023, 10:19:16 am
http://fabricesueur.free.fr/fontainebleau.html

Here are some suggested walks.
Marked.
25 bosses ( including red n white short cut )
Canche aux merciers ( including two short cuts )
l'Ermitage is marked but a little confusing at times and includes a short cut.
Not on the map there's a blue marked walk from l'Elephant that goes around Dame Jouanne and Manoury. About 10km. Can be cut short.

Not marked.
Walk north of Milly. Not marked and about 15 minute walk from Milly.
Rocher de la Reine isn't marked either, or it wasn't 5/6 years ago.

Dunno about the rest.

JamieG

• forum hero
#18 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 30, 2023, 05:25:37 pm
I think font is always worth the risk. You never know what the weather is going to do really. And you can almost always get some climbing in. I've enjoyed it in the blistering heat, drizzly spring/autumn and dream winter dry cold conditions.  ;D

For the kids (especially if they are younger), we really enjoyed the Jardin D'acclimatation in Paris. Loads of good rides for the kids to go on. Better than Disneyland for younger kids!

https://www.jardindacclimatation.fr/en

dave k

• obsessive maniac
#19 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 30, 2023, 05:38:49 pm
I have been Easter most years since 2008 leading a school trip/camping too. Going again this year. In 15 years and 13 visits have managed to climb enough on every
4 day visit, but only had a couple of fully rain free trips, and those have been a bit hot!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#20 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 30, 2023, 11:20:39 pm
Can I hijack this thread to ask about non-climbing activities for kids in Font? I

You may not! :) https://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,14764.msg653199.html#msg653199

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#21 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
December 30, 2023, 11:22:21 pm
If it completely shits out, you could be in the Alps in half a day.

hongkongstuey

• forum hero
#22 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
January 02, 2024, 04:57:25 am

maybe i should pack my snowboard as well in that case  :P (although that's getting better use with some Hokkaido powder in a few weeks time)

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#23 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
January 02, 2024, 01:17:04 pm

I've driven to Valias, switz when a week in font was looking totally washed out. 10 hours. We were van camping so easy to be flexible.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#24 Re: Font in March - worth the risk?
January 02, 2024, 03:53:39 pm
I've had two Font trips fall in the last third of March, so n=2.
Over those two trips I have one day where there isn't an entry in my logbook. Can't remember whether that might have been rest or rain induced.
I can remember one day where the only thing that got done was l'Carnage. We saw it was due to rain so two of us went out early and got to climb that problem with absolutely nobody else at the whole crag. I can't remember long periods of sitting around waiting for it to stop raining.
My first trip was in early April and it was mercilessly sunny. Wall-to-wall sun every single day, temperatures in the upper teens or even low twenties: vile.

Make of that what you will.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal