UKBouldering.com

Full Fibre Broadband (Read 1411 times)

James Malloch

• forum hero
Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 10:38:18 am
We’re getting full fibre installed in January and i just assumed it would come to the back of our house as that’s where the existing line comes in. But looking down our street at other houses it looks like the fibre might need to come in from the front of the house.

I wondered if anyone knows the internal requirements for installation (e.g. physical space required)?

We’ve got a bookcase where i expect it would be installed which is very tight in the alcove. It would be good to work out if we need to change furniture around etc ahead of the day…

Any knowledge would be appreciated!

remus

• forum hero
#1 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 10:57:14 am
https://photos.app.goo.gl/YQHNo3n1hH2j2UcR9

You don't need much space, the little box is maybe 10cm across by 2cm deep. It does need power though so having a socket nearby is helpful. The black cable with the red plug then goes to your router and from there it's the same as any other setup.

Dac

• player
#2 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 02:57:32 pm
Just to give a (very similar) second opinion: in ours the fibre enters the house and terminates in a box measuring 15 x 10 cm, 2cm deep, which is mounted on the wall, a cable  some 150 cm long then connects this to the router, which goes wherever you please (wall, shelf, floor, your choice).

The people who installed ours insisted that the fibre entered in a location with 2 plug sockets available (one to power the router, one to power the fibre terminus box).

Ours comes into the front of the house, as most do, as the installers obviously wish to minimise the distance between the ‘mains’ cable on the street the terminus in the property.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 03:16:54 pm
We got this 4-5 months ago. Came in on a new phone line from the same telegraph pole. Small box inside where the fibre cable terminates.

Its brilliant.

BTW - unless you are wiring it straight into a PC I wouldn't bother with anything more than 500mbs.. Our wifi mesh is capped at 500mbs - and latest devices (e.g. 1 year old iphone) will only pull 3-400 on the download right next to the wifi.. We got the 900mbs package (it was really cheap for two years) and don't use the full speed...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#4 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 03:40:54 pm
I'm not holding breath for our area - openreach.com; when am I getting FFBB - "Build planned between now and Dec-2026"

James Malloch

• forum hero
#5 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 03:47:00 pm
Thanks for all of the replies! We have a gap of about 5cm so hopefully it should slot in okay - and there are two sockets there too which should mean it works in that location.

Just need to work out what this cables are coming through the wall (possibly old cable tv or liking up to the old satellite dish) and maybe we can rip them out and re-use the hole.

image posting site

It’s good to hear positive stories about it too. We have only gone for 150mb but ours is so crap that would be a massive upgrade - especially if it is dropping the whole time!

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#6 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 03:50:33 pm
Pretty sure thats a fibre optic TV cable for satellite tv.

tk421a

• addict
#7 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 04:39:44 pm
Coax (not fibre optic) cable for virgin or sky

James Malloch

• forum hero
#8 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 05:09:06 pm

Cheers! Do you know if newer Sky packages use these, or is it defunct tech now?

We don’t have have plans of getting Sky so I’d probably rip the cables out if not…

chriss

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 04, 2023, 08:19:03 pm
The company I work for subcontract for a fiber supplier, we do all the stuff in public.

Generally we line the 'pot' (plastic box) up with any existing BT or existing service points on the front of the house unless you have a specific need. If you are fed by a pole you don't have a choice.

One thing I would say is if you are having your garden dug up I'd keep an eye on the route they take & how deep they lay the cable. Although it should be in a conduit they often lay it shallow as f##c, so there's a risk of damage when gardening.

tk421a

• addict
#10 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 05, 2023, 03:08:15 pm

No idea tbh, I had it put in by virgin when moving house, never had sky myself.
Coax might also be for an old school TV antenna as well.

We don’t have have plans of getting Sky so I’d probably rip the cables out if not…

rossydoodle61

• player
#11 Re: Full Fibre Broadband
December 05, 2023, 05:11:27 pm

A common recommendation is to fit a baseplate that the cables feed into for future use/flexibility. Like this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-coaxial-tv-socket-white/25407

Good (possibly) for the next folks if you’re planning on selling up but it sounds like you’re staying put. I don’t think aerials, satellite dishes, etc are going to be used anymore. It’s all older tech.

I just cut mine off as I knew they wouldn’t be used.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 05:20:24 pm by rossydoodle61 »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal