UKBouldering.com

NORTHUMBERLAND SHAFTOE CRAG... ISSUES (Read 779 times)

SB

• regular
NORTHUMBERLAND SHAFTOE CRAG... ISSUES
November 20, 2023, 01:12:19 pm
I am preaching to the converted here…. In my role as the British Mountaineering Council Access Representative, I have recently had some communication from the folks who farm Shaftoe. I’m posting this in response to their concerns and observations (Which are not unreasonable). They have noticed a range of activities that are on the rise,  which are spoiling/damaging the area; ‘wild camping’,  fires, disposable barbeques, bottles, cans, dog poo bags and other rubbish are being left behind, and vans and even caravans are overnighting at the parking area.
I doubt if any of this is being done by bona fide climbers, walkers, or ramblers. I have explained how much we value the place and how it is an important venue so close to Newcastle.
However, it is possible that some boulderers, locals, or, visitors to the area are tempted to park overnight.  If you do do this, please do not. You are part of the problem. Please remember that the parking that climbers and walkers use here, greatly to our convenience, is permissive, and only allowed just past the gate on the right.
If you’re a frequent visitor to Shaftoe, be you a climber or walker/rambler then please consider taking a shopping/bin bag and packing out any litter you come across, it’s annoying picking up other people’s trash, but it goes a long way to helping the farmer, keeping the location clean and protecting livestock. That is all to our mutual benefit.
It’s probably the case that the folks responsible for fires, barbeques and trash won’t frequent this and the other social media pages I’ve posted on. But that doesn’t stop us doing something to help.
Finally, in case you think otherwise, the farmer is very supportive of Shaftoe’s Open Access and is not being unreasonable in raising these issues. They are good custodians of a lovely spot, close to Newcastle that we can visit. Let’s help them keep it that way.
So, Please;
Do not park overnight – it is not allowed.
Park by the gate,  do not park down by the lake.
Do not ‘Wild Camp’ – it is not allowed.
Do not light fires and barbeques.
Do keep your dog under close control.
Do take a bag and pick up any trash you come across.
Boulderers –  Respect the Rock. Do clean up after yourselves, do not use excessive chalk, brush off chalk, tick marks etc, and pick up fingertape.

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#1 Re: NORTHUMBERLAND SHAFTOE CRAG... ISSUES
November 20, 2023, 01:34:14 pm
Nice one SB! Was there a couple weeks back and it’s such a beautiful location! Like you said, it’s likely these aren’t climbers but you never know. When we left we packed out a bag with trash near blood sport, shame people in general can’t respect their environment. Keep up the good work!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal